Old 05-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
2015 interstate grand tour problems plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
We have a 2013 Interstate and have had a few problems with fuses blowing, the refrigerator going out ( and the dealer then telling me we had a marine refrigerator installed...only to replace it with the same one) it probably is a marine "fridge". Now, having issues with the Kenwood Stereo, will turn on, but not working at all. Think will have to replace and don't know who to go to ? Any ideas?

I agree that getting the Kenwood to work better by updating the software will help. Go to the Kenwood web site and follow links to the software update for your model. I've updated mine twice since I bought my Interstate in 2012 and everything is working including Bluetooth. If you still have warranty coverage take it to the dealer. If not any good automotive stereo shop should be able to help. I think some Best Buys have installation shops that might be able to help.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Never have the water pump on unless you are in the trailer or van. Floods occur. Jim

Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
How long to find bugs?

We pick up a new Grand Tourer in a few weeks. How long camping close to dealer to find and fix bugs should we schedule? thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
We pick up a new Grand Tourer in a few weeks. How long camping close to dealer to find and fix bugs should we schedule? thanks
That's a judgment call. My first trip was four days and three nights.

Obviously you won't get to use everything— if you're in weather where you can try out the air conditioner, you won't be in weather to try out the furnace— but you can check out most things.

Check out the generator at home, running it for at least an hour under about a 50% to 75% load— running the air conditioner to load up the generator is just about right.

Then when you go camping, go someplace with full hookups, but don't use the water and sewer hookups right away. Instead, fill the fresh tank, and use water from it to get a handle on your water consumption. I'm not sure about tank capacities on the Grand Tour models, but on mine, when my fresh tank is empty, the gray tank is getting pretty close to full so I know it's time to dump the waste tanks.

If you have full hookups, then if your water consumption is higher than expected you've got more water close at hand. And with a sewer hookup, you don't have people waiting in line behind you at the dump station while you figure out how to work the macerator pump and electric-powered hose reel.

By the way, get an assortment of blade-type automotive fuses, and take them with you, even if you don't carry any other tools or spare parts. A blown fuse on the hose reel is a pain in the keester if you don't have a spare handy to pop in; the alternative would be to crawl underneath and disconnect the hose from the reel so you can drive home.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
Kenwood Stereo

Thanks for your response. I'll try the remote...didn't even know we had one! Hopefully I can update the software.
I appreciate the response, I may have to install a new unit, do you think I'll have any issues with another system interfacing with the rest of the van?
Suru
Old 05-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Shower floor drain doesn't?

Our bathroom sink drains fine. Our kitchen sink drains fine. The shower floor drain doesn't. And yes, we pulled the plug. The gray tank is less than 1/3 full. The vehicle is mostly level, slight tilt towards the driver's side. Thoughts?

thanks/r
Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_russ View Post
Our bathroom sink drains fine. Our kitchen sink drains fine. The shower floor drain doesn't. And yes, we pulled the plug. The gray tank is less than 1/3 full. The vehicle is mostly level, slight tilt towards the driver's side. Thoughts?
Airstream Interstates don't have P-traps like a trailer. Instead they have Hepvo check valves (Hepvo Waterless Valve). This has one important consequence. In a trailer, if the gray tank is overfilled the lowest drain will back up, no matter which drain was in use when the tank overflowed. In an Interstate, the drain that is in use at the time will be the one to overflow, even if it's not the lowest one.

I see three possibilities for your shower drain to not be working:
1 - the drain is clogged, with hair, construction debris, whatever;
2 - the gray tank is full even though your tank gauge says it's not, and the shower was the only drain that was in use when the tank reached its limit;
3 - If (and only if) the shower has never drained when you pulled the plug, the Hepvo check valve might have been installed backwards. If the shower has drained even once, then this is not the problem.

I've listed the possibilities in order easiest to hardest. Verify that the drain isn't clogged by probing with your finger to see if you can pull up a clump of hair or something. If you look at my avatar picture, you can see that I've never had this problem!

Dump the gray tank. If the tank was full, then as soon as it begins to drain so will the shower.

Look at the Hepvo web page to see a picture of the valve and see which direction is which, then crawl underneath the van to look at the drain lines and see if the Hepvo valve is installed right way around.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks. First shower use, so not our hair (though we're both far on the other end of that scale from you). I cleaned out some excess pipe sealant, but that wasn't it. The Hepvo valve appears to be installed correctly. One quick pop with a plunger and all is well--reinforcing the house on wheels theme. In the future I'll try to attempt the obvious before posting....
Old 05-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_russ View Post
I cleaned out some excess pipe sealant, but that wasn't it. The Hepvo valve appears to be installed correctly. One quick pop with a plunger and all is well--reinforcing the house on wheels theme.
That's actually NOT so obvious. Wish I'd have thought of it! Kudos to you. I've never needed a plunger in my Interstate before, but it might help to have one.

If the plunger pushed more of that excess sealant into the gray tank, watch out when you operate the macerator pump; I don't know how well the grinder in the pump will chew up sealant. Read up on what to do if the pump jams, just in case.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Hey, solutions are always welcome here even if they seem obvious after you do them. Most solutions that work do seem obvious after you use them.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
If it is anything like my 2011, I'd say about 3 years should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Old 05-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Always the optimist . . .

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingara View Post
No, just still working alot and then trying to get the hang of how to use the forum!
If you are a working person, you may at times find yourself in a different headspace than some of the folks in this forum, as it seems to contain a fair number of retirees and folks who are otherwise of leisure, which is a state of mind completely foreign to yours truly and to many other working people.

So you may get presumptive comments suspecting you of some failing or ulterior motive at times when you are simply busy or have some other logistical issue that you need to prioritize in support of your working lifestyle. This is an unfortunate downside of the forum and it can be a turn-off (I suspect it's part of the reason why the forum appears to have so many more lurkers than contributors). My best advice is to just focus on the contributors who ARE helpful, and minimize the amount of attention you pay to what is not productive. That's the best welcome advice I can offer to anyone.