Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
midland , Texas
2015 GT rear bed fold down cushions

On our last camping trip I broke a couple of things I think are poor designs:
1. Rear fold down cushion supports. On mine the cushions are supported by a pullout rack like a drawer support. The thing takes up valuable space and failed when I accidentally put my weight on it. That thing was over engineered but obviously wasn't designed to support much weight.

I fixed the problem by building a small wood box sitting on a milk crate. It works great!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3614.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	280007
southjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk View Post
On our last camping trip I broke a couple of things I think are poor designs:
1. Rear fold down cushion supports. On mine the cushions are supported by a pullout rack like a drawer support. The thing takes up valuable space and failed when I accidentally put my weight on it. That thing was over engineered but obviously wasn't designed to support much weight.

I fixed the problem by building a small wood box sitting on a milk crate. It works great!Attachment 280007

I removed the entire bed extension on my extended lounge model after the hinge on the fold down section failed. I'm only 5'-9" so don't need the long bed extension. That opened up a lot of storage spec in the rear of my Interstate.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I find the extensions mostly useful to keep our pillows from falling off the end in the night.

I intend to pre-drill some short lengths of piano hinge to replace the hinges. I'll install them with long screws to get some strength there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote