Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
midland , Texas
2015 grand tour nova kool update

Sorry for posting this twice . I'm at the AS dealer in ft worth TX as week speak to get the modification to the refer. Upper and lower fans and the resistor. Keeping fingers crossed as we've had 100 degree weather for the last two weeks. Any 2016 owners with the mod have any complaints?
southjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
If there is a fan in mine I'm not aware of it. I have the upper and lower vents. Just completed a 5400 mile trip with temperatures as high as 109F. Freezer and fridge did just fine.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
Is yours a 2016?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk View Post
Is yours a 2016?

Yes
Old 07-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
The mod did not help. Must have a bad seal. Cold plate was at 10-15 degrees but inside temp can't get below 55 f. This is the same before the mod.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cape Coral , Florida
I have a 2015 Grand Tour but didn't receive any recall info.

Am I missing something?
Jeff
jeffbec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
The modification did not help. The refrigerator still runs between 42-60 depending on the outside temp.
My interstate Ext is a 2015
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
Apparently this issue didn't warrant a recall or even service bulletin. Also think Nova Kool and Airstream have differing opinions on the matter. I'm really disappointed in Airstream owning up to this and figuring out a good fix. Maybe they will eventually do the right thing. I think since the problem is limited to 2015 GT in high temp regions that it's a relatively small issue on their radar screen.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
I pulled the fridge out and let it run outside the enclosure overnight and temp was 36f this morning. I've got the 500 ohm speed resistor and the computer fan mod running in the circuit as well. So I'm going to the 1509 ohm resistor, I've also added reflectix to the top and sides of the box. I will also do the enclosure as well. Ambient temp in my shop is 87 this morning and will be hotter by mid afternoon. I really wish airstream would cut a outside vent along the driver side of the van to let this hot air escape outside the van.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
Ok, during the day yesterday with coach temp around 90 the fridge which was outside the enclosure held 40 degrees. At max cold setting. Unfortunately all of the reflectix I place around the unit was for naught as there was not sufficient clearance to push unit in. I removed the reflectix and reinstalled the unit. This morning with ambient temp of 81 the unit is at 46. I'm hoping now that the 1500 ohm resistor will give me the temp to keep the unit below 40. Also I will experiment with relocating the computer fan a bit aft closer to the compressor due to the fact that it seems like it may be too close to a pillar on the side of the van. Couldn't get the unit to sit flush with trim.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Maybe there was a change for the 16 model, but we have had no issues with freezer or frig temp. I did notice however after one trip that the door seal had pulled from its location and was not sealing properly. Maybe something you can check and rule out.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Galveston , Texas
brand new 2016 GT - fridge - not getting cold enough

I'm getting our new GT ready for our first trip. Remembering I've read on these forums that the fridge might have a problem, I put wireless thermometers in the fridge and the freezer and turned the units on while the AI is on shore power in our garage. Just wanted to be sure we don't have a problem. Turned them to max - after 24 hours the fridge is at 49 degrees and the freezer at 18. It's about 88 in our garage.

Not sure how to proceed. Our trip is to Estes Park in 2 weeks, so it should be much cooler there than in Texas. I don't think there is a little fan running inside the little vent areas. Maybe I'll need to ask for the "upgrade" when we get back from this trip.

I will appreciate any thoughts on how to handle this issue ..
galvestongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvestongrl View Post
Not sure how to proceed. Our trip is to Estes Park in 2 weeks, so it should be much cooler there than in Texas.
Food-borne illness is nothing to mess around with. Since the freezer seems to be working just fine (18°F isn't as good as 0°F, but it's good enough), suggest using blue ice packs to supplement the fridge. Carry double the number you need, so that you have one set cooling in the freezer while the other is helping the fridge. And pre-cool everything at home in your home fridge before putting it in the Airstream fridge when loading up, so the fridge only has to keep the food cold, rather than having to work on getting it cold.

Also, try to keep the fridge as full as possible while still allowing air to circulate inside. The more thermal mass you have, the better. Cold food and water stay cold longer than cold air.

If you can limit the fridge to just beverages, that's even better. The difference in safety between a 49°F soft drink and a 36°F soft drink is negligible. Carrying nonperishable foods in the cabinets is safer than relying upon refrigerated perishable foods.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
You'll be fine in Estes. If the coach is less than 80f there's no problem with cooling the fridge below 41f.
I've done a lot of experimenting with different coach temps.
Also I just installed the 1500 ohm resistor from Nova Kool. I can't tell the difference thus far, again the venting and differential temperature are the problems. The new resistor speeds the compressor but I think created additional heat, so I can't tell the difference. Airstream customer support offered no remedy beyond their mod. They sounded like they were unaware of the issue. Bottom line keep the coach below 80 and you shouldn't have a problem. I suspect AS will eventually realize they need to figure this out going forward. I truly think that cutting some cents to the outside is the answer.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Obviously something needs to be done to remove more heat from the condenser. If the air flow is not somehow vented to the outside, I think it's a lost cause. Bottom line is in order to remove heat from the frig/freezer, that heat has to be moved somewhere. Just leaving it in the cabinetry won't work. I notice that mine exhausts thru the grill above the microwave and while that helps keep the frig cold, it would be better for the interior temp. if it exhausted outside.

Just think how your car or truck A/C tends to not cool as well when it's very hot outside and the vehicle is stationary for an extended period of time due to the lower amount of air flow thru the condenser.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
Well the cooling issue on the nova Kool 3102 is looking up. Once i buttoned everything back up, and checked this morning it was 38f in the fridge , with coach temp of 84. The cold plate was -2f. Maybe it just took it a bit longer but it finally is overcoming the heat. Currently, the coach temp is 94. Inlet air at the bottom vent is 89f and the upper outlet vent is 102. As much as I hate receiving 102 Degree air into the coach at least the nova Kool is out running it. Fridge temp is holding at 40. When we go on the road next week in the mountains of ruidoso New Mexico we'll probably have to turn the thermostat up as highs will be around 80 or less. With everything that's been done I think the 1500 ohm resistor along with the vent fan did the trick.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Currently, the coach temp is 94. Inlet air at the bottom vent is 89f and the upper outlet vent is 102. As much as I hate receiving 102 Degree air into the coach at least the nova Kool is out running it.
Do you have the MaxxFan vent open with the fan running (with a window cracked open elsewhere)? Extracting the hot air near the ceiling can only be a good thing…
Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
midland , Texas
Yes, I've had the vent fan open. Luckily it's located very near the fridge vent outlet. My hope is also that AS comes up with an external vent.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Galveston , Texas
thanks for all your help

Thanks for those comments and suggestions - we will go on our trip and postpone dealing with this problem. We traded a 2013 AI to purchase this new Grand Tour - and of course we knew there would be something that would need to be tweaked, but I didn't plan on something of this magnitude. One of the features I liked best was the BIG fridge and freezer! We had no issues with the combo fridge/freezer in the old AI. In fact if we turned it up too high, we would have frozen lettuce, even in Texas. Maybe they need to go back to a combo unit.

BTW we did have bad batteries in the GT when we picked it up, and the dealership in Buda, TX did replace them for us. It was somewhat of an argument, but they did end up doing the right thing. We were armed with very good technical information, thanks to the nice people on this forum, on how to tell if the batteries were able to hold a charge or not. And thank goodness, the batteries were so damaged, it was easy to show they needed to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Galveston , Texas
Quote:
Well the cooling issue on the nova Kool 3102 is looking up. Once i buttoned everything back up, and checked this morning it was 38f in the fridge , with coach temp of 84. The cold plate was -2f. Maybe it just took it a bit longer but it finally is overcoming the heat. Currently, the coach temp is 94. Inlet air at the bottom vent is 89f and the upper outlet vent is 102. As much as I hate receiving 102 Degree air into the coach at least the nova Kool is out running it. Fridge temp is holding at 40. When we go on the road next week in the mountains of ruidoso New Mexico we'll probably have to turn the thermostat up as highs will be around 80 or less. With everything that's been done I think the 1500 ohm resistor along with the vent fan did the trick.
Thanks for all this information! I guess we'll be doing the same things you have. It sounds like you are doing this upgrade yourself?? Did you go through your Airstream dealer to get the parts? I wonder if a 100 lb 62 year old woman (me) could do this repair?