Old 11-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tell me why it should be, for a cogent argument to DMV?

Please?

Maggie

Old 11-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Large motorhomes are purpose-built as motorhomes, aren't they?, rather than a Sprinter Van converted to a small motorhome?

Does this make a difference?

Maggie

Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Large motorhomes are purpose-built as motorhomes, aren't they?, rather than a Sprinter Van converted to a small motorhome?
The RV manufacturer still buys the bus chassis and drivetrain from an automotive manufacturer and only does the coachwork on top of it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The RV manufacturer still buys the bus chassis and drivetrain from an automotive manufacturer and only does the coachwork on top of it.

But something like a Freightliner Class A chassis is not a complete drivable vehicle until the motor home is complete. An Interstate starts as a complete Sprinter 3500 cargo van and is the converted by Airstream by adding items onto the van.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
But something like a Freightliner Class A chassis is not a complete drivable vehicle until the motor home is complete. An Interstate starts as a complete Sprinter 3500 cargo van and is the converted by Airstream by adding items onto the van.
Sprinter also sells chassis/drivetrain (for mini-class A) and cab/chassis (for Class C) to Winnebago. Since the Engine has a VIN on it, even an incomplete vehicle has its own Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
It matters not if the chassis is not road-ready when it's purchased by an RV manufacturer. What matters is the VIN is issued by the chassis manufacturer in the case of a Class A or C, or the base van maker if it's a Class B. The only thing the DMV has to go on is usually the VIN. How they choose to describe the vehicle is up to each individual state.

We bought our 2005 Airstream Westfalia in Washington, and that's what it said on the title. When we re-titled it in Oregon, it became a 2004 Dodge.

Regarding resale, the model year of the RV is what's important, not what the DMV has decided to call it. You know the model year, and you won't be acting unethically by stating it when you advertise your rig for sale. If the potential buyer raises the issue, he's just expressing his ignorance about how the RV industry works. You'll just smile and 'splain it to him...

In fact, here's another interesting anomaly. Our Flying Cloud is titled as a 2012, but it has the little "80 Years" badge on it - but wait, wasn't that the 2011 model year? But the VIN says it's a 2012. Oh well...doesn't bother me...
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gnorts....that makes a lot of sense, and is along the lines of what made sense to me.

Should a buyer question the Interstate model year, the original paperwork exists to show it.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I agree with Gnorts. Most DMVs and insurance companies have a database of VINs. When they pull up the VIN of an Sprinter van they see a picture of the vehicle. When I registered mine in Maryland the clerk let me look at her computer screen. She registered it as a MB Sprinter van which was OK with me because my HOA does not allow RVs to be parked in neighborhood. HOA has exemption for passenger vans - so mine is a 7 passenger conversion van done by Airstream on a Mercedes Sprinter.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambita View Post
My RV insurance record, it is a 2015 model.
Just in case an accident happen ie total loss, i am worried my insurance will appraise it as 2014 , not 2015
The push-back we got was not from DMV - it was from our insurance company, which refused to use our Airstream year (2007), wanting instead our Sprinter year (2006), to the point where they made us go back to the state of Texas inspection station and forced US to compel THEM to change the vehicle ID number in the paperwork to reflect the Sprinter year (the records had originally been issues on the Airstream year). Sorry for the convoluted sentence but you get the idea.

It is possible that their motivation was to achieve a lower de facto appraisal value. If so, that effort was moot because we subsequently renegotiated a declared-value policy (that whole mess is discussed in this thread).