Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
2015 AI Lounge EXT

Just traded our 27' Flying Cloud for this new AI and take delivery from the dealer on Tuesday. Excited and can't wait to hit the road in it. From San Antonio we are heading to S Calif in two weeks. So we will need to get up to speed on all the systems pretty quick.

This place is a great resource. Have been reviewing the Small Living and AI Modifications threads to get ideas.
Gonna order a memory foam topper before we leave and then just go and figure out on the fly what things we will need to make it work best for us.

Since we're leaving on a trip of some distance pretty quickly, was wondering if there were any words of wisdom of what I should check or use before we hit the road. Will do the obvious like making sure appliances, generator, water heater etc. work

Thanks for any ideas!
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
This??? No Pics

Make sure when the dealer does your orientation that you run your generator and test the AC. Mine would shut down shortly after the compressor kicked on.
Was an easy fix for the dealer and has worked perfectly ever since.

Hopefully you got a good deal on your AI since the 16s have been out a couple months.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome, and what Ron said.

I would go lightly on purchases until you get a feel for your rig, as everyone's needs are different.

A lot of what you had in your trailer will also work in your Interstate.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Several new owners wished that they had video taped the orientation where the dealer operated all of the different features. Also a good idea is to do the operation yourself after the dealer has run thru it.

You should get a portfolio w/ the rig containing the Sprinter and Airstream Interstate owner's manuals along w/ instructions for all of the non-Sprinter equipment.

One thing of note in the "Lessons learned" category is to turn the sink faucet to the Hot position so the lid doesn't hit it and turn the faucet on when the lid is closed.

Enjoy your new rig.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Also a good idea is to do the operation yourself after the dealer has run thru it.
When I bought my Interstate, the orientation came in four parts.

1 - I downloaded the Sprinter and Interstate owner's manuals from the Internet even before I did the walk-through, so I could read up on everything beforehand and ask meaningful questions.

2 - I had the dealer demonstrate everything— including the Sprinter stuff, not just the Airstream stuff. You need to know the Sprinter systems even before you need to know the Airstream systems, because you'll deal with them as you're driving home from the dealer.

3 - After the dealer demonstrated something, I did it while the dealer coached me through it.

4 - After I had done everything once with coaching, I did it again without coaching. Had to tell the dealer "Be quiet and let me do this" a couple of times, too. Took him a while to realize that coaching me again without my asking for it wasn't helping.

Then, if I could do it without coaching while the dealer watched, I knew I was ready to do it for real on my first trip.

I also set up my first camping trip to a campground very close to home, so if there was something I really needed and didn't have, it wasn't very far or very expensive to go fetch whatever it was.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Just reading the Protagonist post and I am thinking he knew more than my dealer did when I took delivery. I would say ditto on his good advice especially downloading the latest manuals, and having the dealer review every system with you before you go. Part of the manual that came with my 214.5 AI talks about the proper hitching and trailer backing LOL. I couldn't believe the manual was a mix of trailer and coach. Other parts of the manual were not up to date in terms of the actual standard equipment in the coach, like the inverter, solar system etc. I have downloaded the new manuals and they are better but still not up to standards expected at the price point of a new AI.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I did the same as Protagonist and loaded all of the manuals onto an old iPad I keep in the AS

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
I too agree with the advice to learn the sprinter first. Then take it for a trip to a nearby campground or even camp out in your driveway. I've had my Interstate for a couple of years and am still learning new things. It's a great vehicle and fun to travel in. Enjoy!
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Folks, thanks for the guidance. Looking forward to the first trip!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Took delivery this afternoon. Managed to get video on most of the Airstream functions and system operations. The technician had great knowledge of the Airstream components, limited knowledge of the Mercedes Sprinter functions and absolutely no knowledge of the Kenwood/Garmin system. Spoke with salesperson and he got a "younger" tech that understood the Kenwood/Garmin system but he wasn't a very good instructor. They are setting up a call for me with an Airstream representative to walk me thru the Kenwood.

All components and systems performed as expected. The only thing that needed to be tweaked was the shower head in the bathroom (there was not enough slack on the extension for the wand).

Got home and found two issues:
1) When I parked and got out I heard something running. Turns out that the tech left the water pump switch on and the system had been dumped and was dry. Hopefully pump is still OK. I will put water in tomorrow and test it out.
2) Realized that we did not cover the Maxx Fan in the turnover. Will call the dealership and get a tech to walk me thru it over the phone.

We are going to spend a lot of time over the next week getting comfortable with everything and then taking off for S Calif

Old 08-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post
2) Realized that we did not cover the Maxx Fan in the turnover. Will call the dealership and get a tech to walk me thru it over the phone.
One thing they never tell you is that the crank mechanism for raising and lowering the fan hood is made of cheap pot-metal and can be stripped out if you over-tighten it when cranking it down. Always look up when cranking the hood up or down, and as soon as it quits moving, stop cranking. The hood doesn't leak at all, open or closed, unless you're in a driving rainstorm where it's raining sideways, so it's not critical to crank it down tightly, just far enough that it doesn't rattle.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Protag,
Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The good news is that it's relatively cheap and easy to replace. The bad news is that it is a bad design. The gear enclosure is just too thin to withstand the applied forces. Just like the lifter arm which was redesigned and made out of steel.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I too had prolems with the shower head wand not extending or retracting. It has a heavy weight on the braided hose. The weight is clamped to the hose with a too-long bolt. The bolt and/or the weight will get hung up on any of the many things under the sink. I removed the access cover below the half-wardrobe and duct-taped a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet over all this miscellaneous stuff - to make a smooth surface for the weight to slide up/down over. Looked goofy as heck, but hidden by the access cover so nobody knows - till now.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I too had prolems with the shower head wand not extending or retracting. It has a heavy weight on the braided hose. The weight is clamped to the hose with a too-long bolt. The bolt and/or the weight will get hung up on any of the many things under the sink. I removed the access cover below the half-wardrobe and duct-taped a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet over all this miscellaneous stuff - to make a smooth surface for the weight to slide up/down over. Looked goofy as heck, but hidden by the access cover so nobody knows - till now.

Great tip - I need to do something similar.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Good info

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I would run the hose over the coach to check for leaks.. I had a leak around the fan vent the dealer said the sealer that airstream used just wiped away.. Wasn't fun having a rain shower in the coach so far from home.. When it was fixed for a second time I got up on a ladder and ran the hose over the whole roof to make sure there were no more leaks..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One thing they never tell you is that the crank mechanism for raising and lowering the fan hood is made of cheap pot-metal and can be stripped out if you over-tighten it when cranking it down. Always look up when cranking the hood up or down, and as soon as it quits moving, stop cranking. The hood doesn't leak at all, open or closed, unless you're in a driving rainstorm where it's raining sideways, so it's not critical to crank it down tightly, just far enough that it doesn't rattle.

Another little thing on the Maxx Fan that we just learned after 5 years and on our second interstate is that after you crank it closed you PUSH UP on the little black handle to LOCK in down. Ours was never closing fully until we learned this.

Welcome and Good luck. Love to hear about another Interstate owner joining the family.

Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Off on our first AI adventure! We covered 400 miles scooting West on I10. This is a quick trip to S Calif and we won't have much time for exploring. But it will be a great way for us to learn all about the AI and what / how much we need to travel with. We are going to have to learn to travel lighter (tough for my better half!).

Only issue identified is the microwave door popping open every so often. Any hints on this?

Thanks for all of your help!

Mark

Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Protag is right as usual

Having gotten our 2016 a month or so ago I can attest to there being a fairly steep learning curve. Ideal thing would be to camp next to dealer for about a week then take off. Checking to be sure everything is working right is, of course, a major mission. The macerator, for example, is easy to use and a DRAMATIC improve over

Maybe more importantly even, is learning the systems. I'm an engineer and am familiar with the forces at work, electrical...mechanical. The Kenwood unit is a serious situation as well. I've had the basics explained twice by very knowledgeable Kenwood dealer (not dealer as we had left on trip). I still have little confidence about using iPad for music played through Kenwood, and only a little better feeling about using Kenwood for hands-off iPhone.

All in all it's fun to figure out.

BTW, when you're home with unit is a great man cave, particularly if you have sat TV.

Good luck!
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote