Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Saturday I took a 150 mile round trip with the Airstream with the diesel tuning module completely disconnected and the check engine light returned once again! It seem there has been an underlying problem with the Mercedes after all. I suspected that could be the situation but once the Mercedes service guys discovered the tuning module they always point to it as the problem and look no further. I am actually relieved it's not the tuning module because I too will be pulling a trailer quite often and am hoping to utilize the module.

Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #30
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The handling I can live with but the rear ride is too bouncy and harsh. With a 1 1/4 ton suspension, not sure if it can be rectified short of carrying max load.

Let us know if you find a solution.
The Sprinter Store catalogs a full air suspension replacement for the Sprinter 3500 but it costs upwards of $10,000 — which is too pricey for my checkbook — and the kit for the passenger/cargo van is still under development. Obviously all the bits parts and hanging under the AI present an additional challenge to the designers of suspension enhancements.

My next attempt will be a local spring shop to see what, if anything, they can suggest.

Make errors otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I saw that and agree re: pricey.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Just came back from a 4 day trip to Watkins Glen, NY to kick of my track driving season. First almost full system test in the Sprinter and a big test of the van's towing capability, tuning module and transmission cooler.

Total round trip towing - approx. 490 miles

Rig more more than enough power to tow a little over 4900 lbs. Granted the longer climbs were taken at a modest speed (Especially the 8 mile hill up I-80 from Stroudsburg, PA to Mt. Pocono. Went up it at 50/55 mph (speed limit is 65).

As stated, the Sprinter had sufficient power with the tuning module set to 50% and manually downshifting to climb the steeper longer climbs. Incredibly, the display indicated fuel consumption up to Watkins Glen was 13.5mpg. On the way back it displayed 15.5 mpg. Compared to my old rig (2008 F250 Diesel towing a 24' enclosed trailer - loaded weight 7500+ lbs.) was a 34-42% improvement in fuel consumption.

490 miles towing with the tuning module - zero issues. Color me impressed.

The rig will be subjected to another 490+ mile tow test very shortly. Heading back to the Glen for more driving and instructing.

2013 Interstate
2014 Little Guy 5x10 Silver Shadow
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote