Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Tiato,

Thanks for the update, sounds like you're going to have to get a scan gauge to clear the codes so you can experiment a bit more. I ordered the one from Upscale auto, seems a bit low quality but it does the trick, and they sent a CD along with a listing of all the codes. I'm going to ask Upscale if they will send a new tuning module so I can try it. Mine must be defective since I am getting a code even when set to factory setting. But there's always the possibility that you are going to find the same with yours.

Jeff
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Figured out how to clear the codes and get the check engine light off. Module set to 9.

Just came back from a local 17 mile , 30 minute loop encompassing flat to rolling terrain, highway and modest and steep uphills. Average speed of 24 mph.

Power increase at 9 is subtle. Definately there when one needs it. 2/3 through my loop I came to a complete stop, shut down the engine. Started and was off again. The first time I got a check engine light was the day after I initially installed the module. Tried to simulate it with that stop but stop may not have been enough. We'll see what happens over the next few test drives, perhaps tomorrow.

For the drive today, the vehicle behaved and did not throw any check engine lights or initiated limp mode.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Interesting. I'm currently working with Upscale auto to exchange mine, maybe just a faulty unit.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Took the Airstream out for another test run today. With a twist. Towing my track car on a trailer - combined weight 4600 lbs.

Took it on my usual and previously mentioned test route but added a few miles of highway driving at 60 mph.

Because I was towing I was changing gears manually trying to keep the engine load level to 75/80% (measured via scan gauge).

Figure test route was about 25 miles.

Test with the module set to 9 went flawlessly without any check engine shenanigans.

I was very impressed how well the interstate was able to handle the towing. Smooth. Enough power. Never missed a beat. The recently installed Konis really make their presence known with and without the trailer.

In a few days I will be installing the Sprinter store aux trans cooler to make sure the trans behaves long term.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397942945.629913.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	861.6 KB
ID:	209975
Old 04-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Did the Konis reduce the harsh, bouncy ride in the rear? Did you do all four?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
73, so far I only installed the rears.

Sprinter store set the shocks to 90% rebound.

What I noticed right off the bat was a immediate and noticeable reduction in rear chassis roll. I have not had any passengers in the rear so I have no feedback from what's happening back there now. In theory, the bigger Konis with their higher rebound should reduce or eliminate chatter over bumps.

I think I may reduce rear rebound by 10-20% to smooth the rear out. It feels a bit over damped.

I do sense that the ride is firmer back there. More controlled. However I feel that when upgrading the rears the front ones should follow soon. There is a distinct difference in the front and rear roll characteristics. When the rear stops rolling the front feels like it wants to tuck under. IOW the front keeps rolling and it feels like the chassis the twisting (torsion).

I will be ordering the front Konis soon. I suppose the front roll could be controlled with stock socks with aux springs such as sumo or timbren springs.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #27

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Did the Konis reduce the harsh, bouncy ride in the rear? Did you do all four?
I have Konis on all four and the handling is vastly improved. Body roll etc. almost completely gone. However the ride in the back still resembles that of a school bus or one of the attractions at Six Flags. Too bouncy to be usable. I am shopping for suspension enhancements but so far I have not come up with one I can afford or that will fit my 2013 AI.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The handling I can live with but the rear ride is too bouncy and harsh. With a 1 1/4 ton suspension, not sure if it can be rectified short of carrying max load.

Let us know if you find a solution.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Saturday I took a 150 mile round trip with the Airstream with the diesel tuning module completely disconnected and the check engine light returned once again! It seem there has been an underlying problem with the Mercedes after all. I suspected that could be the situation but once the Mercedes service guys discovered the tuning module they always point to it as the problem and look no further. I am actually relieved it's not the tuning module because I too will be pulling a trailer quite often and am hoping to utilize the module.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #30

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The handling I can live with but the rear ride is too bouncy and harsh. With a 1 1/4 ton suspension, not sure if it can be rectified short of carrying max load.

Let us know if you find a solution.
The Sprinter Store catalogs a full air suspension replacement for the Sprinter 3500 but it costs upwards of $10,000 — which is too pricey for my checkbook — and the kit for the passenger/cargo van is still under development. Obviously all the bits parts and hanging under the AI present an additional challenge to the designers of suspension enhancements.

My next attempt will be a local spring shop to see what, if anything, they can suggest.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I saw that and agree re: pricey.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Just came back from a 4 day trip to Watkins Glen, NY to kick of my track driving season. First almost full system test in the Sprinter and a big test of the van's towing capability, tuning module and transmission cooler.

Total round trip towing - approx. 490 miles

Rig more more than enough power to tow a little over 4900 lbs. Granted the longer climbs were taken at a modest speed (Especially the 8 mile hill up I-80 from Stroudsburg, PA to Mt. Pocono. Went up it at 50/55 mph (speed limit is 65).

As stated, the Sprinter had sufficient power with the tuning module set to 50% and manually downshifting to climb the steeper longer climbs. Incredibly, the display indicated fuel consumption up to Watkins Glen was 13.5mpg. On the way back it displayed 15.5 mpg. Compared to my old rig (2008 F250 Diesel towing a 24' enclosed trailer - loaded weight 7500+ lbs.) was a 34-42% improvement in fuel consumption.

490 miles towing with the tuning module - zero issues. Color me impressed.

The rig will be subjected to another 490+ mile tow test very shortly. Heading back to the Glen for more driving and instructing.