Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Lounge roof LEAK!!!

This last winter we got a 2014 lounge interstate, so far over 3000+ miles multistate travels, very comfortably. We are having a very wet spring and found a good amount of water coming thru the cabin switches (just behind the curbside passenger seat). Got the ladder and look at the roof, found a pool of water collecting between the vents (i think) for the black and gray water tanks, and the awning. Just wondering if somebody has gotten this problem, and if so how was it fix. I plan to take it to the dealer this coming weekend, and i can think a few ways it can be fix, but wnated to hear from others experiences?
thanks
lelaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
AS should cover the repair. That said the two vents are caulked with a polyurethane sealant and it's hated to see where there might be a leak. The factory calls for Sikaflex 221 and I've touched up several spots around the vents and fan.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
See my related post under "Beginners Guide ..." thread. I had to remove the black water tank vent when I did my solar upgrade. Inside I found it was not properly fitted or sealed as required on the inside. During heavy rain water got inside the van wetting the insulation and running down the outside of vent pipe.

I also removed the gray water tank vent and found the same problem.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaguna View Post
This last winter we got a 2014 lounge interstate, so far over 3000+ miles multistate travels, very comfortably. We are having a very wet spring and found a good amount of water coming thru the cabin switches (just behind the curbside passenger seat). Got the ladder and look at the roof, found a pool of water collecting between the vents (i think) for the black and gray water tanks, and the awning. Just wondering if somebody has gotten this problem, and if so how was it fix. I plan to take it to the dealer this coming weekend, and i can think a few ways it can be fix, but wnated to hear from others experiences?
thanks
lelaguna,
We only had our 2014 for 3 months when discovered a leak sounds like in the same place as yours, noticeably on the floor behind the curbside passenger seat. Still under warranty we took it back and left the vehicle with the service department to give them plenty of time to isolate the source and fix it. They searched all through the water pipes before finding a small hole in the corner of the shower pan and plugged it up, they pointed this it out to me later. However, I didn't accept that "hole" as the source since we only had the AI for 3 months and had never taken a shower in it and insisted they continue the search which they did. It turned out to be the black tank stack vent and cap on the roof was installed incorrectly allowing rain water to leak down the "outside" of the pipe behind the wall were it would puddle up in the pan and spill over onto the floor. A new part was ordered and installed correctly fixing the problem. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for sharing the experiences, expect to go to the dealer tomorrow, will keep you posted.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Sealing of items that penetrate the roof is one (but not the only) area where AS has an abysmal record! I had multiple issues with my 2010. To sealing on top looked like it was done by a 4 year old using a garden trowel. I fixed these problems myself since my AS was then located several thousand miles from an AS dealer. It's sad to see they haven't solved this build quality issue.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
They need to use a self-leveling sealer. Would certainly improve the appearance of the joints.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
2014 Interstate Lounge roof LEAK!!!

We'll here we go again...another leak from the roof! After spending the day riding around the beautiful Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland countryside in sunshine, the drive home however was in a downpour. This time water was dripping around the MaxFan bracket held by six screws, above the passenger seat driver's side. I'm curious BTW, for those of you "do-it-your-selfers", how did you manage to work on the roof? A padded ladder leaning on the side of the AI, or some other means like a scaffold?
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I used a step ladder at the rear of the RV. It wasn't easy. Have considered getting a mountable ladder for the rear door.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
We carry a telescopic ladder which is easy to store behind the lounge.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would remove the things that are leaking, down to the roof, and see what's there. You would be under warranty, and can have things redone properly. Or, if you are close, have your dealer do that. Take pictures if you do this yourself.

Our black tank vent and Fantastic Fan looked like someone just jammed them sort of in place and went at them with a power drill, irregardless of screw holes, fit, etc.. Terrible leaks around both, which no amount of caulk would fix.

Fantastic Fan sent a new install kit, Doug stripped it down and started over, no more problems.

The black tank vent had broken framework, from where it had been jammed into a spot where it didn't fit, then covered with caulk. JC replaced it, but we were no longer under warranty, so we paid for it.

Not one of their finest hours.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
I recently took my 2013 AI to Colonial Airstream to have 2 separate leaks addressed. 1) Sliding door window. 2) Maxxfan Air Vent.

1). There was a leak from the top of the sliding door window which only manifested itself when the door was facing the wind and direction of rain with the nose of the van facing my backyard. This meant that the front of the van was 4" higher than the rear with the right side being 1.5" higher than the left.
Fix was to replace the entire window as it was discovered that when the factory put it in, they did not realize that there was an area which did not seal properly. I was told that the sealant is attached to the window frame by CR Lawrence and it fit doesn't seal properly, the whole unit must be replaced.

2) Fan leak. The roof of our sprinters have 4 or 5 raised but flat 2" ridges. I suppose it aids in roof rigidity but also perhaps for aerodynamics. In my Interstate the rear of the upper fan frame was notched into a "v" shape by AS to clear one of the roof ridges. It was at that location where the point of the "v" cracked through to the inside face of the frame causing a leak. The fix was a fan a whole fan replacement. However the service department, instead of cutting a another "V" this time they cut a much shallower half circle notch, which is a much better solution as the V shape has a built in stress rise in the point. Since the whole fan was going to be replaced I asked if the unit can be replaced with the full featured and remote controlled version of the same.

As far as the childish looking applied appearance of some of the roof sealants, from what I understand the specified Sikaflex 221 is a sealant that requires mechanical spreading. IOW, its spread by a stick, finger or spatula. It is the Sikaflex 715 that has more self leveling qualities.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
... As far as the childish looking applied appearance of some of the roof sealants, from what I understand the specified Sikaflex 221 is a sealant that requires mechanical spreading. IOW, its spread by a stick, finger or spatula. It is the Sikaflex 715 that has more self leveling qualities.

I've done a lot of re-sealing with Sikaflex 221 on my AI. I normally spread it with my fingers wearing latex gloves. It's had to make it look pretty. :-)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

so we got our RV back, the leak was found to be from water getting in through the black water tank vent, but instead of going into the tank itself since the pipes/connection where not well fitted or ill connected the water was leaking into the wall of the RV. They had to rebuild these piping,now things seems to be okay. We got some pretty good downpours and no leaks so far. Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I found the same problem when I removed the Black Tank vent during my solar upgrade. Then I checked the Gray Water Tank vent and it had the same problem. My conclusion is that Airstream is not installing those 360 Siphon vents correctly.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter