Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
2014 Interstate Carbon Monoxide and Panel

We were on a trip this past weekend and our carbon monoxide detector went off and then detector unit started blowing stream of smoke (ironic of course). Removing battery did nothing and my wife and kids were going nuts from sound so I clipped yellow wire to disconnect wired circuit. That worked but then monitor panel went dead for all but main/car battery. No signal is being provided to water, lp tank and back battery monitors now. I called Airstream supply and ordered new detector but Airstream discontinued wired version so am getting a new 9 volt battery operated one. That's fine but panel still won't work. I checked fuses and ones the manual says connect to carbon monoxide and panel are fine. My boss has a 2016 interstate that has a great wiring diagram in the manual but 2014 has no such thing. I am guessing panel is tied into carbon monoxide detector hard wire but don't want to fry anything by putting twist cap wire connectors on hard wire system. The existing carbon mono has two reds and one yellow wire that I clipped. I am used to doing electrical wiring at home but without Airstream diagram have no clue how 9 volt system is set up. Recommendations? Our local airstream dealer has 1-2 week wait to get appointment and then 3-4 week wait for fix thereafter!! Too long!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona

Those CO detectors are notorious for giving up the ghost after a few months; I've had to replace mine.
Pull down the wire you cut and you should find a plastic connector inside the ceiling space. Disconnect that and see if it resolves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 10-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Airstream didn't discontinue the wired CO alarm. The manufacturer stopped making then. I just replaced mine for the second time. They don't last long in the open air environment of a van. I also had to replace four of them in my townhouse after 6 years. They are limited life items and the technical information on them says they won't last as long in outside installations.

The wire you cut is causing your panel power problems. It would have be better to just disconnect the alarm with the white plastic connector on the unit. Wiring from the CO alarm feeds the Tank Monitor Panel. See the attached wiring diagram for details. Recommend you pull down the wiring above the alarm and splice the wires you cut back together to restore power to your monitor panel.

BTW - the CO alarm is something you can buy from Amazon or other sources that will be a lot cheaper than buying it from Airstream. There is nothing unique about the CO alarm, it is a common item available from many sources

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1476801002.876648.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	273721

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks Mike

Diagram was helpful. I couldn't splice it back the way it was because I needed to remove wired alarm. However, i plugged harness clip back in with two red wires joined by wire cap and everything worked fine. I put a cap on the yellow/white wire to just be super safe, but downstream sensors must have their own common white wire. The downstream sensors won't work if you just unplug the wired alarm at the connector clip because hot wire runs through the alarm itself (I tried even before first suggestion in this chain) - but if you connect the two red wires everything is good to go. Thanks for responses.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmboyd View Post
Diagram was helpful. I couldn't splice it back the way it was because I needed to remove wired alarm. However, i plugged harness clip back in with two red wires joined by wire cap and everything worked fine. I put a cap on the yellow/white wire to just be super safe, but downstream sensors must have their own common white wire. The downstream sensors won't work if you just unplug the wired alarm at the connector clip because hot wire runs through the alarm itself (I tried even before first suggestion in this chain) - but if you connect the two red wires everything is good to go. Thanks for responses.
That is interesting. I took a look at my Interstate today and realized that I just disconnected the old alarm at the connector. Everything on mine still works normally after replacing the CO alarm with a battery only unit of the same brand.

This contradicts what I said in my first post above so I took a closer look at the wiring diagrams I have. The yellow wire is just a ground (-12VDC) point for the CO alarm. The two red wires appear to come from different +12V sources. One to Circuit #6 on the Coach 12VDC Distribution Panel. The other connects to the Chassis battery side of the BIM relay. This makes sense so the alarm is always powered even when the Coach battery is disconnected. See additional wiring diagram snapshots I've attached.

By tying those two red wires together you may have inadvertently connected the two batteries together. Unless of course your Interstate is wired differently than the 2015 and 2103 wiring diagrams I'm using.

Have you just disconnected the old wiring to the CO alarm at the connector in the overhead above the alarm and seen what you have on Tank Monitor Panel? Try that if you haven't already.

Also recommend you check each of the three wires to make sure they follow the Airstream wiring diagrams. There maybe a wiring anomaly in your Interstate. A Multi-meter would be the best way to do this if you have one.

I don't recommend you leave the two red wired connected if in fact they are each coming from a different battery source.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	273796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	273797  

Old 10-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I checked last night with tester and only one wire was hot. You may be right, though, based on diagrams. I think it is possible the short tripped the fuse shown as MF2 and this is why it is not connected to engine battery now. I couldn't find a diagram anywhere showing what the fuses under the driver's set connect to but am guessing MF2 is one of those so will check each one this weekend with tester and see. Ran out of time and daylight last night. Thanks for tip. Not good to be running band aid solution if that is the case.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland

The MF2 fuse is in one of those individual inline fuse holders right next to the BIM relay under the lounge seat. If there is no power on the chassis battery red wire then the MF2 fuse is likely blown and causing your monitor panel problem. By tying the two red wires together you provided coach battery power to the monitor panel. Here is marked up photo showing the MF2 fuse holder next to BIM relay. Also MF2 fuse is only a 1A fuse according to the wiring diagram.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1477060636.815412.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	273913

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thanks!