Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Billshop's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 20
2014 Interstate batteries question

Am I correct to assume that the MB Chassis has two batteries? one under the driver foot well, and one in the engine compartment... as well as two batteries in the rear for the coach power?
__________________

__________________
Billshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
If you have the auxiliary battery option on your chassis. My '11 service van has this option, with the main chassis battery under the driver's feet and the auxiliary chassis battery on the driver's side of the engine compartment.

Your house batteries will be located elsewhere.
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
wayneskid's Avatar

 
2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 515
Images: 1
Lewster is correct; the 2nd chassis battery is an option. If you have purchased a new van, an MB dealer can provide you with a list of the MB options. Or, send me your VIN by PM and I will pull your data card and send it to you.
__________________
- wayne
2010 Interstate 3500 Twin Bed
(2008 Freightliner CRD Sprinter)
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post
Am I correct to assume that the MB Chassis has two batteries? one under the driver foot well, and one in the engine compartment... as well as two batteries in the rear for the coach power?
Airstream doesn't buy them with the second chassis battery. But you can add one on your own, or get a Sprinter dealer to do it if you're all thumbs.

Being all thumbs, I may have MB install a second battery when I get the Schedule A maintenance done, which will be the next maintenance required as long as I don't break anything.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 116
What is the process of adding a second battery? I would like to do that. Are there instructions or what information would I give my Freightliner dealer?

Phil, AA9ZZ
__________________
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Billshop's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 20
Wayne provided me with the data sheet for my unit, and it appears that it does have two batteries for the cahssis. I can see the one in the engine compartment, and it seems that the main battery is under the DS foot well.
__________________
Billshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post
Wayne provided me with the data sheet for my unit, and it appears that it does have two batteries for the cahssis. I can see the one in the engine compartment, and it seems that the main battery is under the DS foot well.
Lucky devil. Mine only has the battery under the driver's foot well. Which is something I will have to change because my alarm system puts a hefty load on my chassis battery while the unit is in storage. I have to make a point of starting mine at least once a week, because if I let it go two weeks I need to jump-start it.

Unplugging the battery disconnect down by the accelerator pedal is not an option because that kills the alarm as well.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
Protagonist,

I assume you will connect your alarm system to the second battery in the engine compartment. The second battery connects via a relay to the first battery when the engine is running.

So I would assume the alarm would drain the second battery only and not affect the starting battery under the driver's feet. Given that, how long do you think the alarm would last in storage before the second battery runs out of juice?

The choices might be different if the Interstate is stored with a power connection. I am not certain what the Interstate uses to separate/combine the starting battery and house batteries. If the Interstate is plugged in, the combining relay would only charge the starting battery. The second engine battery only gets charged by the alternator (engine running). In a plugged in storage state, the alarm might be better off staying hooked up to the starting battery.

If I am all wet, I am sure Lew will set me straight.

Barry
__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Protagonist,

I assume you will connect your alarm system to the second battery in the engine compartment. The second battery connects via a relay to the first battery when the engine is running.

So I would assume the alarm would drain the second battery only and not affect the starting battery under the driver's feet. Given that, how long do you think the alarm would last in storage before the second battery runs out of juice?

The choices might be different if the Interstate is stored with a power connection. I am not certain what the Interstate uses to separate/combine the starting battery and house batteries. If the Interstate is plugged in, the combining relay would only charge the starting battery. The second engine battery only gets charged by the alternator (engine running). In a plugged in storage state, the alarm might be better off staying hooked up to the starting battery.

If I am all wet, I am sure Lew will set me straight.

Barry
Actually, no. With both batteries connected in parallel, I'll double (or more) the amount of time that I can let my Interstate sit idle with the alarm set, without running the batteries down too far to start the engine. If I was allowed to drive everywhere the boss sends me, it wouldn't be a problem, because I'd be able to start the engine and recharge the batteries on my own schedule. Unfortunately, while I still work for a living, when the boss says go, I have to go, and when the boss says take a plane instead of driving two or three days to get there, I have to take a plane, and leave the Interstate behind.

If I could leave it plugged in while it's unattended, I'd do it. But I live in an apartment complex, with no place to plug it in. And paying a monthly fee to store it off-site, where there's no one to respond to the alarm if it does go off, is not terribly palatable, either.

Such is life for a single guy in the big city.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
got solar? :-)
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
Protagonist,

I believe a relay sits in-between the two batteries and the relay is triggered when the engine is running. So you might find that the two batteries are not in parallel when the engine is off. So you possibly won't get the power from two batteries for the alarm as you are currently thinking.

But I may be wrong. Lew, can you help me out here. I plan to have an alarm too so I really would like to know if a second battery would help out on the slow drain.

Barry
__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Protagonist,

I believe a relay sits in-between the two batteries and the relay is triggered when the engine is running. So you might find that the two batteries are not in parallel when the engine is off. So you possibly won't get the power from two batteries for the alarm as you are currently thinking.

But I may be wrong. Lew, can you help me out here. I plan to have an alarm too so I really would like to know if a second battery would help out on the slow drain.

Barry
I'll check mine out tomorrow and let you know how it is connected. I suspect that there is a direct parallel connection between both batteries, as they are exactly the same. I haven't seen any charging controls, but tomorrow will tell......
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
I think this is still the current layout for a second battery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aux battery retrofit 01-01-2010.pdf (3.41 MB, 89 views)
__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I think this is still the current layout for a second battery.
My Sprinter dealer says there's no such thing. Must have been phased out when Mercedes took over the Sprinter marque from Dodge.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.