Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
2014 AI EXT Rear view camera monitor problem

Hi all,
Suddenly my rear view camera monitor just stopped working. It seems that it doesn't get any power. The monitor is just dead. Does any one know if there is a fuse or some thing that I should check to see why it doesn't turn on? I was going to check if there is any connection problems right above the rear mirror where the wire from the rear view camera monitor goes under the roof panel but wanted to check if any one has any experience looking at the connections in this area.
The model is PLMC7200.

Thanks.
tishaeisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The Pyle monitor seems to have a history of a short life.

Mine failed in about 18 months. Same symptoms as yours. Of course it happened just as we were leaving on a trip. On the plus side, I got real good at using the side mirrors.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
On mine, the power connection (plug) that's located in the overhead interior light cluster was loose. To get that light cluster off, sit in the passenger seat and push the overhead cover towards the driver seat while pulling down.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Same issue here, and my advice

Mine failed within the first year. I had it on all the time and the circuitry just couldn't handle it. Since setting it to come on when in reverse only it seems to be ok.

The bad news is the monitors are cheap Chinese crap. The good news is they are also cheap on Amazon. I purchased one and switched out the monitor and all was fine.

I was told the same thing about going up through the map lights to get to it, and this is WAY more of a hassle and risky to break something than what I figured out. You can easily get to all the wires through the plastic CB/Accessory cover at the top. It was a snap to replace, took all of 15 minutes, with most of that being my anal nature to make sure and run wires better than the way they were done originally.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a spare or two of these things just in case it happens again. Companies go out of business all the time and it would be a royal pain to have to replace the camera in the back if this company ever went under.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
I removed the overhead light cluster and wiggle the black round socket connection. After that the unit started working. It seems that it is a loose connection or broken wire inside the round connection socket. I need to open the connection and check it out tomorrow. David M, did you just have to tighten(push) the connection or repair it? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Forgot to mentioned that mine was replaced by the dealer under warranty.

Pyle has been around a long time in the mobile electronics business.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishaeisha View Post
I removed the overhead light cluster and wiggle the black round socket connection. After that the unit started working. It seems that it is a loose connection or broken wire inside the round connection socket. I need to open the connection and check it out tomorrow. David M, did you just have to tighten(push) the connection or repair it? Thanks.

I simply tied a knot out of the connector so that it tightens when pulled in. I did this about 6 months ago and it still works fine. Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about and I'll take a picture of what I did. I also bought a spare display on Amazon for about $30 just in case. Good luck.
David
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Here's a picture of the "knot" I tied. This way, the connector will not pull apart when the wire is tugged on. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401072836.336246.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	751.4 KB
ID:	212850
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Ashburn , Virginia
Thanks David. I am going to tie a knot like the way you did. As others have suggested, I am going to order an extra monitor from amazon, just in case.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
This Pyle monitor has a mixed bag of reviews on Amazon with many rating it one star. Image quality is so poor and hard to see in sunlight. Has anyone changed it for something better?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Back up camera
I would like to replace the Pyle back up camera installed by AS. Has anyone found a better camera and monitor?

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen View Post
Back up camera
I would like to replace the Pyle back up camera installed by AS. Has anyone found a better camera and monitor?
Which Kenwood head unit do you have in your 2012 AI? Most, like my DNX7190, can be used as a rear view camera monitor. the DNX7190 can actually take two camera inputs. You can probably just use the existing camera. Is it is the Pioneer ND-BC5? That's what I have and it is a fairly good camera.

Only problem is you would only get camera view in reverse or when you select it on screen overriding the NAV or other displays.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote