Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
2014.5 Ext Backup Camera

It is impossible to see anything at night with my back up camera and it is grainy at best during the day. I'm taking it down to the Colonial dealership in Lakewood, NJ friday.... but I was wondering if anyone had similar trouble?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I find mine to be equally useless. Even during the day when going down the road, the extremely wide angle lens makes traffic appear to be miles behind you. If I was going to change it, I would opt for camera with a reduced wide angle. And, as far as using it to back up, it would probably be more useful if it were mounted lower. I usually have it turned off and use the black out screen as a rear view mirror.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have mine on while I'm driving, mainly because I pull a toad and the camera allows me to monitor the toad. It's not really intended for use going down the highway; it's meant for seeing things CLOSE behind you (such as your darling children) when you're backing up. Where I back into my parking space at my apartment building, the camera allows me to stop just about two inches before my Roadmaster towbar would strike the fence. Backing into a paved campsite, it allows me to stop when my rear bumper is right at the edge of the pavement, without having to rustle up a fellow camper to guide me into the spot. I don't consider the camera to be useless at all; you just have to use it the way it's intended to be used.

When I'm not pulling my toad, I often leave the camera turned off and just use the outside mirrors, same as every other panel van driver used to do before the advent of rear-view cameras.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
I agree that the rearview image is mostly useless. Its is horrible compared to cameras I have in other vehicles (Honda and Acura). When I did my prepurchase inspection I thought it was too dark, Colonial said they did a diagnostic check on it and it is to the manufacturers spec.

If you have any luck with colonial fixing it to your satisfaction I'd love to hear about. Also you might ask to see some other new ones and how they perform, to maybe get better frame of reference about yours.

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
When I purchased my 2005 Interstate, backup cameras were not available for the unit. The very first addition as part of the sales agreement was to have a backup camera and 6 inch screen installed. My camera is installed in the rear passenger side door just below the handle. The screen has depth markers in green, yellow and red to show me how close my bumper is to anything or anybody. It does not show how close my upper stoplight is to high objects (ask me HOW I KNOW----$38.00 part). I believe there should be a legal requirement that all LIMITED VISABILITY VEHICLES must have backup cameras for safety.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Both of mine have a good, clear image, nite and day. All reverse view cameras I've had have had "fish eye" lens and like Protag said are intended for seeing what's behind you and close.

To help w/ this, I put markers on my screen for 10', 20', & 30'. That helps keep things in perspective.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Great idea, shark!

Join my Airstream Interstate Facebook group
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1399633380341777

AI Facebook Group

Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks. I need to do one more for the minimum distance so I can stop when the rear bumper is even w/ the curb rather than when I hear the curb trying to rip the propane valve box off.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Just back from the dealership and they checked all the wiring... The dealership also removed a chair and installed my wardrobe hangers. Unfortunately, the camera is just crappy. The 2015 is exactly the same. They said they could upgrade me to a wireless one for about $1000 but I turned it down. The parts guy said he was going to see if Pyle has a camera upgrade that wouldn't require new wiring... We shall see.

-----
Airstream Interstate Facebook group
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1399633380341777

AI Facebook Group

Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
When I purchased my 2005 Interstate, backup cameras were not available for the unit. The very first addition as part of the sales agreement was to have a backup camera and 6 inch screen installed. My camera is installed in the rear passenger side door just below the handle. The screen has depth markers in green, yellow and red to show me how close my bumper is to anything or anybody. It does not show how close my upper stoplight is to high objects (ask me HOW I KNOW----$38.00 part). I believe there should be a legal requirement that all LIMITED VISABILITY VEHICLES must have backup cameras for safety.
Do you have pictures of your camera and cable routing in that door?
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Sorry no photos of the installation of the camera. Installer did use a type of wire that is designed for aircraft to bridge the gap between the side of the sprinter and the door. It does not crimp, has hundreds if strands for flexibility and does not get caught in the door . It has a flat profile about 1 inch wide by 3/32 thick. Hope that helps.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I have mine on while I'm driving, mainly because I pull a toad and the camera allows me to monitor the toad. It's not really intended for use going down the highway; it's meant for seeing things CLOSE behind you (such as your darling children) when you're backing up. Where I back into my parking space at my apartment building, the camera allows me to stop just about two inches before my Roadmaster towbar would strike the fence. Backing into a paved campsite, it allows me to stop when my rear bumper is right at the edge of the pavement, without having to rustle up a fellow camper to guide me into the spot. I don't consider the camera to be useless at all; you just have to use it the way it's intended to be used.

When I'm not pulling my toad, I often leave the camera turned off and just use the outside mirrors, same as every other panel van driver used to do before the advent of rear-view cameras.
Now that I am pulling a toad, I totally agree with Protag. Pulling back in from the passing lane is made much easier by using the rear camera. So I retract my earlier statement about the camera being useless. HD quality would be good though!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
It still leaves the problem with rain it is useless in the rain.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I have considered making a small hood that extends an inch or so back from the camera to try to keep the water off of the lens. I suppose the suction effect though will probably negate this. Still think I'll give it a try.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Everyone just loves that Pyle of

Was this || close to removing it and wiring the rear camera into the Kenwood head unit it but my DW likes it for situational awareness. I will admit that while the image quality is worst at best it does help in some situations.

I dont like the camera field of view angle and was toying with the idea of designing a small extension or a new mount that would provide a better downward view for when Im backing up to my car trailer.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If your camera is like mine, it's easy to loosen and rotate downward so you can get a closer view up close. Of course that sacrifices your longer distance. Mine came from the factory set at about 3 feet from the bumper is where I lose the picture.