Old 08-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I'm considering getting rid of mine due to the poor dealer network near me.. Both dealers that are close to me are horrible!!

I called one and they said that since I didn't buy it from them ( although they bought the dealer I purchased it from) that they will not service it right now..

Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks for your post. We're thinking of moving from towing to a Class B; the Era 170A has our favorite floor plan of all of them. Really tempted by the rear twins and the pull-out storage tray in back.

I do wish Winnebago would get the Mercedes factory safety gear upgrades, like blind spot monitoring and forward collision alert, that most other brands have.

Tom

Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Thanks for your post. We're thinking of moving from towing to a Class B; the Era 170A has our favorite floor plan of all of them. Really tempted by the rear twins and the pull-out storage tray in back.

I do wish Winnebago would get the Mercedes factory safety gear upgrades, like blind spot monitoring and forward collision alert, that most other brands have.

Tom
The Era 170A floor plan
Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Nice post and glad you found something that fits your needs better than the AI did. Since I recently sold mine, I won't comment on the ERA but after looking at the website, there were several items that would be deal breakers for me no matter what my needs were. BTW the front seats appear to be the same Sprinter seats as in the AI, so surprised that they don't have the same comfort level.

Picking an RV is a lot like custom building a house, you have to do it several times to get it right. My third one has worked for 30 years but there are still a few things I'd do different if I was building again.

Good luck w/ your new ride.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Airstream Interstate vs Winnebago Era
Old 08-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sad that the newest addition to the Airstream brand currently being built does indeed reflect all the issues we endure on the trailer side. Fit and finish issues abound on both vehicle lines.

They have zero incentive to improve since they have a backlog of dealer sales. But not every dealer can move the current year models on their lots. The dealers must purchase a set number of vehicles to
maintain their status.

If the quality was as sterling as the prices, there would not be any inventory for retail sales as it would be flying out the door as fast as it arrived.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Check out what Chuck Woodbury, editor of RV Travel says about the RV industry not focusing on customer interests.

http://rvtravel.com/rv-travel-newsletter-issue-755/

"Nobody in the RV industry is looking out for the specific interests of RVers. The system is such that they are far more concerned about you and me buying an RV than us buying one free of defects no matter what the price point. Just read all the comments that readers have left in the last few weeks about the poorly built rigs they bought with the idea of fulfilling their dreams of carefree, happy RVing as promoted in advertising. If RV makers really cared about you and me, they’d be darn sure the RVs they made were trouble free from the get-go, even economy models."

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
While the AI and the AS trailer seem to share the same AS build quality, the class B has a big advantage. The 90-95% of the RV that makes it mobile and safe in the case of the AI is made by a company that knows and cares about what it builds, Mercedes. Almost all aspects of an AS trailer is at the mercy of AS build quality. The couple WBO b's I looked over seemed to be assembled well and they must be doing something correct to be the market leader in this class.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #23

2012 Interstate Coach
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy poor decision

Brian, I spent 3 years talking my husband into the interstate so we could go from KS up to Montana, Canada Rocky Mts. and down through Washington , Cal. and home through Denver. We sold our C motorhome for a 2012 that is very pretty but not at all impressed with the Airstream. We have had everything from the maserator pump to go bad, batteries burned out because of a switch that needed replacing. Right now we don't have a horn, and the noisy air conditioner stopped when husband tried to adjust it and can't get it started again. It seems like every time we get In it something goes wrong. We have been to 4 different shops to try and find the problem as the Airstream people charged over a thousand and did not get it fixed the first time. It is always something new. We are in S. Dakota tonight with windows open and fan going because air won't start again.
IN those three years we looked at the one you bought but I had a problem with the interior being so close. The upper cabinets come out further and I felt closed in just walking down the isle. Yes, I would like the tall fridge and sleeping more would be nice but I don't think I could deal with the tight head space. I am glad you found what would work for you. I only found one complaint abut these models so I bought into the Airstream as being a top notch product. Sorry I paid so much for something that we have had to spend more on just to keep it going. I hope others have not had this kind of problems with their. I keep hoping it will stop at some point.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
AtlantaCpl congrats on your new ERA

What's the deal with costing you $20k to trade??
Old 08-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2015 23' FB International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The Leisure Vans look nice as an alternative.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket3991 View Post
Brian, I spent 3 years talking my husband into the interstate so we could go from KS up to Montana, Canada Rocky Mts. and down through Washington , Cal. and home through Denver. We sold our C motorhome for a 2012 that is very pretty but not at all impressed with the Airstream. We have had everything from the maserator pump to go bad, batteries burned out because of a switch that needed replacing. Right now we don't have a horn, and the noisy air conditioner stopped when husband tried to adjust it and can't get it started again. It seems like every time we get In it something goes wrong. We have been to 4 different shops to try and find the problem as the Airstream people charged over a thousand and did not get it fixed the first time. It is always something new. We are in S. Dakota tonight with windows open and fan going because air won't start again.
IN those three years we looked at the one you bought but I had a problem with the interior being so close. The upper cabinets come out further and I felt closed in just walking down the isle. Yes, I would like the tall fridge and sleeping more would be nice but I don't think I could deal with the tight head space. I am glad you found what would work for you. I only found one complaint abut these models so I bought into the Airstream as being a top notch product. Sorry I paid so much for something that we have had to spend more on just to keep it going. I hope others have not had this kind of problems with their. I keep hoping it will stop at some point.
You pay a premium for the Airstream name, and that's all you get. This sounds about right as I had similar and multiple issues from day one...although once you get the bugs out, fewer things seem to go wrong. My wife and I just returned from a 22 day, 5600 mile trip to the Pacific Northwest, back down through Oregon, Nevada, Utah, and back home to Oklahoma in our 2011 Interstate, visiting 14 states in the process. Almost on every trip, something breaks or needs repair. This time it's the macerator hose, that has now developed the pinhole leaks others have reported, and through no fault of Airstream the windshield cracked and needs replaced after a bird made a bad and fatal choice in its choice of direction. But other than that we had no major system failures and used the AC almost every day and night as well as the other features of the van. Of course, since we actually used the shower every night, I swore at least once a day at the incompetent engineers that designed the shower since it pools a significant amount of water behind the toilet, requiring multiple sponge wringing to remove it. But its not worth spending 60K plus to fix that with a different unit that likely would no doubt suffer from its on set of frustrating issues.

The RV business in general is unconcerned about quality. I truly believe there is no quality control whatsoever. They just build them and shove them out the door, and let the end user figure out what they did wrong and I challenge Airstream to prove me wrong (I know they are are listening). I have a love-hate relationship with my Interstate, to be honest. But after 50,000 miles, I've decided to keep it rather than spend a lot to get something that would likely not any better, and perhaps, much worse. I actually was tempted to replace mine with a Roadtrek, with their fancy solar/lithium battery options, until I had the chance to see one in person. That inspection quickly ended my temptation.

I've learned to live with the deficiencies, fix the things that go wrong as I go, and enjoy the ride.

Hang in there-it could be much worse. What you should do is after a long trip, you likely will find multiple issues to be fixed. Plan a trip to Jackson Center, spend a few days, and get them to fix whatever is wrong. One thing I have to say is that the one thing Airstream gets 100% right is their customer service, and the folks in the service department are excellent and do the best they can to resolve any issue to fix the things that production gets wrong. That doesn't make up for the lack of quality control, but it does go a long way to help.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I come from boating world and compared to that, RVs seem to have much better quality! I say that half joking but there are pretty good parallels there except that in boating your life is in danger often.

An example: was coasting to the dock in our boat using the outboard engine that had very few hours on it (Evinrude E-tec). Go to slow down but could not pull the handle down. It was stuck there at 2000 to 3000 RPM rushing toward the dock! Shut down the engine and now we were floating in water with no way to restart since it was in gear. After much struggle, got it to the dock.

Here is the kicker though: after 2-3 years of suffering from this problem and finding no solution at the dealer or anywhere online, it turns out to be a defect in the engine accelerator lever! It was made out of plastic and when it heated up, it would expand and bind. We are talking "unintended acceleration" type of fault here yet Evinrude quietly rev'ed the part and never issued a recall, a letter to the owners, nothing. Just let you go steaming towards the rocks and docks with no ability to slow the thing down.

I have repaired and fixed dozens and dozens of serious safety problem on my boats which were all new and bought from higher-end builders. You have not lived until you lose steering in rough waters due to a small set screw coming loose because it didn't have loctite on it.

These things are not manufactured products but assembled out of bag of parts from same set of suppliers. There is no comparison to a car or just about any other product one buys. Compared to my boats, the Interstate has been hugely better quality. Should be better of course but in a relative manner, it is good.

As someone said, the great thing and one of the main reasons we bought the Interstate was so much of it coming from Mercedes.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
...across the street in a separate Thor factory. If they were "just like the trailers" they wouldn't be built off of another manufacturer's complete (minus the interior) vehicle. And, they would be made out of aluminum and look somewhat like an Airstream.

Thank you for proving my point.

This is no doubt the exact thinking Thor's marketing team was counting on when they decided to assemble the Interstate under the "Airstream" moniker and add a camping interior to the Dodge/MB Sprinter cargo van in Jackson Center. Jackson Center is Airstream mecca.

As I stated, GREAT marketing, and GREAT for sales. People love to get attached to that Airstream name and resent anything otherwise.

That's why Thor didn't call it the "Bison Coach Interstate." No one would buy it using Thor's "Bison Coach" nameplate.

If it's one thing Thor is good at...it's marketing the Airstream name and aura. Line 'em up and they will come. And buy.

Just don't call anything "Bison Coach."
This is just plain silly. I spend five days at Jackson Center and pretty much roamed around anywhere I wanted to go. The engineers who design both the trailers and vans and the managers over the employees who build both are the same. They are paid and managed by Airstream, whose parent company is Thor. They are actually built actually nearer the original garage where the Airstream founder Wally Ballym started and that has been owned by Airstream since. The trailers are assembled from scratch, in a separate facility across the street, because they actually, well, have to build them from scratch. Interstates are built on a line where the employees install what's inside-a totally different process. To allege they are separately built by Thor and badged as an Airstream in patently false. Are they built to Thor's standards? Now that's a legitimate question. But the reality is that the Interstates are built by Airstream, who parent company is Thor, and while I'm sure Thor directs Airstream as to many issues, including probably cost control and quality control (or perhaps, a lack of a concern thereof), Thor is not likely involved in the details of day to day operation. That's not how things work.

Thor was specifically created to acquire Airstream in 1980, when Airstream was on the brink of bankruptcy. But Airstream had previously built Class A's starting in 1974 at Jackson Center and continued building Class A's for a time after Thor acquired it, and started building Class B's in 1989. Interstates began production in 2004.

Thor went on to acquire other brands and now owns Airstream; Four Winds; Dutchmen; Komfort; Thor America; Thor California; General Coach America; Aero Coach; El Dorado National; Champion; and Thor Bus.

But to allege Thor's marketing team decided to build Interstate's at Jackson center and simply brand them as Airstreams is simply not correct. It is not what Thor does. Thor has acquired and controls many divisions, as a parent. But it does not build anything. The divisions they own do.