Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
David M's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 277
2013 Interstate Help

I need a favor from early 2013 Interstate owners (non-wardrobe). Can you open the tilt out tray by the sink and see if your fridge and microwave is plugged in as pictures below? I unplugged my fridge (black chord) a few weeks back to avoid running it on 120v and only run on 12v. The white outlet that the fridge was plugged into operates whenever the inverter is turned on, and the black outlet (where the microwave is plugged into) only works when plugged in to shore power or on generator. I'm wondering is they should be swapped (meaning I'd like the fridge to run off of 120v only when plugged in or on generator). Thanks in advance.
David


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1516965632.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	194288
__________________

__________________
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I need a favor from early 2013 Interstate owners (non-wardrobe). Can you open the tilt out tray by the sink and see if your fridge and microwave is plugged in as pictures below? I unplugged my fridge (black chord) a few weeks back to avoid running it on 120v and only run on 12v. The white outlet that the fridge was plugged into operates whenever the inverter is turned on, and the black outlet (where the microwave is plugged into) only works when plugged in to shore power or on generator. I'm wondering is they should be swapped (meaning I'd like the fridge to run off of 120v only when plugged in or on generator). Thanks in advance.
David


Attachment 194288
What you're asking about isn't only applicable to 2013s, or only to non-wardrobe models. However, on the wardrobe models, the outlets are a lot harder to see or reach, is all.

You can't really swap the fridge and microwave cords. For one thing, the microwave will NOT operate off the inverter! The fridge will, if you have it plugged in. For best efficiency, the way you've got itó fridge unplugged and microwave plugged into a shore-power/generato-only outletó is optimum.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
David M's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

What you're asking about isn't only applicable to 2013s, or only to non-wardrobe models. However, on the wardrobe models, the outlets are a lot harder to see or reach, is all.

You can't really swap the fridge and microwave cords. For one thing, the microwave will NOT operate off the inverter! The fridge will, if you have it plugged in. For best efficiency, the way you've got it— fridge unplugged and microwave plugged into a shore-power/generato-only outlet— is optimum.
Thanks Protagonist. I do realize that it applies to wardrobe models too, but I also knew from your past posts that it is not easy to see or reach the plug on those models. And non 2013 models such as your is apparently wired differently. I also realize that the microwave won't work off the inverter, but the clock will; which I understand is the way yours is wired (my clock goes blank when not on shore power or on generator). Over the past 4 months or so of reading this forum, I've come to the conclusion that AS makes constant changes to these Interstates -- be it intentional or not So I'm wondering if the factory intended for the clock in the microwave to operate on the inverter and the fridge to operate on 120v only when on shore power or generator. Like you said, it doesn't make sense for the inverter to convert 12v to 120v so the fridge can convert it back to 12v. Sorry for the long post, but I just woke up
David
__________________
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Thanks Protagonist. I do realize that it applies to wardrobe models too, but I also knew from your past posts that it is not easy to see or reach the plug on those models. And non 2013 models such as your is apparently wired differently. I also realize that the microwave won't work off the inverter, but the clock will; which I understand is the way yours is wired (my clock goes blank when not on shore power or on generator). Over the past 4 months or so of reading this forum, I've come to the conclusion that AS makes constant changes to these Interstates -- be it intentional or not So I'm wondering if the factory intended for the clock in the microwave to operate on the inverter and the fridge to operate on 120v only when on shore power or generator.
Actually, I think someone at Jackson Center plugged mine in backwards, fridge to the microwave outlet and vice versa, which is why my microwave's clock came on when the inverter provided power. That error has since been rectified.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
David M's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Actually, I think someone at Jackson Center plugged mine in backwards, fridge to the microwave outlet and vice versa, which is why my microwave's clock came on when the inverter provided power. That error has since been rectified.
Lol, and here I'm thinking they plugged mine in backwards. But I thought it might be nice to have the clock constantly on. Anyone else with an easily accessible outlet want to chime in?
__________________
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
My refrigerator and microwave are connected the same as yours.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
David M's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
My refrigerator and microwave are connected the same as yours.
Thanks Shark. I appreciate you checking.
David
__________________
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Trying to Retire
 
MILATV's Avatar
 
Decatur , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 342
Images: 7
Late but here is pic from 2014.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3433530936.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	194788
__________________
Mike
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you work until you have everything you 'WANT' - it will probably be too late to enjoy it.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
David M's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Late but here is pic from 2014.
Thank you for the pic MILATV. Since your fridge is plugged into the same outlet as mine, it looks like AS intended for it to run off of 120v whenever the inverter is turned on and not plugged in to shore power. Like Protagonist posted in other posts, seems inefficient to convert 12v to 120v and then back to 12v. I guess I'll keep my fridge unplugged.
David
__________________
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

Thank you for the pic MILATV. Since your fridge is plugged into the same outlet as mine, it looks like AS intended for it to run off of 120v whenever the inverter is turned on and not plugged in to shore power. Like Protagonist posted in other posts, seems inefficient to convert 12v to 120v and then back to 12v. I guess I'll keep my fridge unplugged.
David
It was my understanding that the refrigerator ran off the 12 volts when not plugged in to shore power or with the generator on.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
David M's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

It was my understanding that the refrigerator ran off the 12 volts when not plugged in to shore power or with the generator on.
I read somewhere on this forum that the fridge runs on 120v as soon as you turn on the inverter (whether plugged into shore power or not); and it also runs on 120v as soon as you plug into shore power or when you start the generator. Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this. Thanks
David
__________________
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I read somewhere on this forum that the fridge runs on 120v as soon as you turn on the inverter (whether plugged into shore power or not); and it also runs on 120v as soon as you plug into shore power or when you start the generator. Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this. Thanks
David
Now that you mention it I think you're right. I believe someone rewired theirs to run on 12 volts anytime the generator wasn't running or the RV wasn't on shore power.
__________________

__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.