Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
2011 Airstream Avenue Questions

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2011 Airstream Avenue and wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions.

1. What are the 3 rectangle shaped cushions for? I can't seem to figure out where they go.

2. None of the outside compartments have cam locks on them. Anyone know the size I need to purchase.

3. I do not see any internal DC power outlet. I do see the one behind the TV as part of the antenna amplifier, but was looking for a better one for charging my phone and things? If not, where is the easiest place to add one?

4. How long does the refrigerator last with your battery setup, and what do you have for batteries. Mine just has one AGM Group 27, and I do not think that is going to last a weekend of camping.

Thanks In advance.
TrailRunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRunner1 View Post
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2011 Airstream Avenue and wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions.

1. What are the 3 rectangle shaped cushions for? I can't seem to figure out where they go.

2. None of the outside compartments have cam locks on them. Anyone know the size I need to purchase.

3. I do not see any internal DC power outlet. I do see the one behind the TV as part of the antenna amplifier, but was looking for a better one for charging my phone and things? If not, where is the easiest place to add one?

4. How long does the refrigerator last with your battery setup, and what do you have for batteries. Mine just has one AGM Group 27, and I do not think that is going to last a weekend of camping.

Thanks In advance.
I do not have nor have I ever had an Avenue, so your first three questions I can't respond to.

Your LAST question about the fridge, however, I can address. If your refrigerator is a 3-way ammonia-absorption refrigerator, then the 12v setting is ONLY for use while the engine is running. The heating element will flatten your battery in as little as a couple of hours depending on the weather. Use it on 110AC when you're on shore power, and propane the rest of the time.

That said, even the 12v while the fridge is running will likely not necessarily even be able to maintain the temp while you're on the road.

You'll get a variety of replies about running the fridge on propane while going down the road from the safety perspective. Propane refrigerators are one of the leading causes of RV fires. That said, I have used my refrigerators on propane on the road for thirty years and never had an issue yet. When it's appropriate, I'll turn the fridge off fueling, but other than that I leave it run and only turn it off when I plug into shore power to save propane.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Thanks for your reply 85MH325. The fridge is an AC/DC compressor fridge. Nova Kool R3100. My previous Class Bs came with the 3 way fridge, so this is new to me. The 12v setting on the 3 way fridge did kill the batteries fast. I think the compressor fridge is more efficient on 12V, but really have no clue if it will last a weekend if I cannot plug in.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:

Thanks In advance.

Hey TrailRunner, welcome to the forum!

I own a similar UNICORN class b, a '2012 Avenue Suite (the last-produced of three floor plans).

I've take a shot at replying to your questions, below:

1. What are the 3 rectangle shaped cushions for? I can't seem to figure out where they go?

I'm going to need a picture or more information on this one. You most likely have a different floor plan than mine.

2. None of the outside compartments have cam locks on them. Anyone know the size I need to purchase?

Not sure what you mean by cam locks. My outside compartments all came with two thumb latches on each. One side was a keyed and the other was not. I replaced all with keyed lock sets for greater security. I can look up the part number if you wish to change yours out. I believe I ordered them from an online Airstream parts supplier.

That's the only DC outlet provided in the coach (you have two full time outlets in Chevy Express dash). I added one 12v in the rear (where the tv is located in the Suite floor plan so that I can run the tv on 12volts. I also repurposed the old Cat5 wire to the optional solar on mine to add a 2.1v usb outlet.

I didn't realize any Avenue models shipped with just one battery. Mine had two, which got us through the night running the 110/12v compressor fridge, lights, tv, and Maxxfan or furnace depending on temperatures. I'm not sure how one battery can handle it, though. I just did a 200ah lithium battery/3000W inverter upgrade so we can run the microwave without the generator.

Please realize, that as rare as Avenue models are, mine is an even rarer Suite model built the last year of production that is somewhat different from yours, so much was changed.

Here is my floorplan and a link to a Youtube video of my model.

Glad to welcome another Avenue owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avenue Suite Floorplan corrected.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	356674  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
According to Airstream's 2012 Avenue Brochure, all models came with 2 batteries that year.

Here's a better detailed video of the Suite model from Colonial Airstream. It shows the two-battery compartment. I had assumed that was one item that had not changed through the various models and years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 11-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Thanks for your reply 85MH325. The fridge is an AC/DC compressor fridge. Nova Kool R3100. My previous Class Bs came with the 3 way fridge, so this is new to me. The 12v setting on the 3 way fridge did kill the batteries fast. I think the compressor fridge is more efficient on 12V, but really have no clue if it will last a weekend if I cannot plug in.
In the words of the late, great Emily Litella, "Oh, THAT's very different. Never mind!"

85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
In the words of the late, great Emily Litella, "Oh, THAT's very different. Never mind!"
Loved Gilda Radner.

Perfectly understandable with Avenue "b's" as rare as they are. I'm just glad to no longer be a "party of one".

PS. - I can't figure out how to post a picture at left under my forum name.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I found the invoice for cam locks I purchased in 2017 from Silver Trailer Supply. They came keyed-alike. Worked as a direct replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Invoice - Compartment Locks.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	356685  
Old 11-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Looks like they changed names to highskyrvparts.com.

https://highskyrvparts.com/index.php..._category=true

The latching tabs are slightly offset. You can remove and reverse the tabs from the lock cylinder as needed for a proper fit (tighter or looser clearance to engage the strike plates that hold the storage doors shut).
Old 11-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Thanks for the info rowiebowie. I like the layout of your model. Mine is a little different. The dealer that I bought the Avenue off of replaced the batteries. I am sure they put one in instead of two. The pictures I have seen look like 2 group 24 battieres L shaped. How did you get 200ah lithiumin there? I would love to go that route? Just not sure they would fit in my battery compartment. Thank for the lock link. I will order some. I think I will try to mount some USB plugs by the converter since that should be a short wire run. I included pictures of the cushions. I thought they might go with bed, but since they have a thick felt pad screwed to the bottom, I am leaning towards maybe foot rests.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Thanks for your reply rowiebowie. I like the layout of your avenue. Mine is a little different. The dealer that I bought the Avenue off of replaced all the batteries. I am sure they replaced the 2 coach batteries with just one. From all the pictures that I have seen, it looks like 2 group 24 batteries go in there L shaped. How did you get 200ah of lithium batteries in there? I would love to go that route, but my battery compartment does not look like it will support that. Thank you for the link to the compartment locks. I will order some. I think I will add some USB plugs by the bed since it is close to the converter box. I am hoping easier for a noob like me to wire in. I will attach pictures of the 3 cushions. I first thought they went with the bed, cause I was in a Roadtrek frame on mind, but since they have a think felt pad screwed onto the bottom, I am think maybe foot rests. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach

Old 11-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Nice pictures. I like the way the light color cabinets brighten the interior. It looks in really great shape.

I had to have the Suite model with the 76" length read bed. It was a requirement, because at 6'2", I just couldn't sleep transverse on the rear lounge and I also prefer the enclosed wet bath in the Suite. But I sure like your 3rd seat for transporting 6 belted passengers. However, everything in a class b is a compromise.

The three cushions are still curious.

Concerning my lithium upgrade. It started out as a modest desire to run the 700W microwave (that actually pulls about 1200 watts) without being plugged in or starting the generator. I also wanted to get rid of the 150 year old lead-acid technology and double my usable amp hours so we could boon dock more than one night. Modest goals I thought.

But just for the convenience of the microwave and to go from one night boon docking on two lead-acid batteries to 2 or maybe 3, cost $2700 and that was doing myself, on the cheap. I learned everything affects everything else and, in addition to the two lithium batteries, my install required new lithium compatible chargers, a 3000W Inverter, and state of charge monitor to track battery levels.

In the Suite, I had just enough space to move the batteries inside and I'm now using the old outside compartment for storing leveling blocks and cables. Where you live, and with recommendations that lithium batteries not be used below freezing, I believe it would be best to move them inside if you ever choose that route. But first, get a new set of AGM batteires (yes both batteries should be the same age and type) and give it a try. We made three long trips before my battery change and really had no problem so long as we either plugged in or drove daily. Lithiums are an extravagance only justified by several days off the grid.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Those look like the filler cushions for the front of the bed...photos attached. Look at where the bed meets the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BEAA4FD9-19E9-4791-B00A-0C96FEC401D1.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	356763   Click image for larger version

Name:	494920F0-6BB4-4C1A-B625-0A8247786A6F.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	356764  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #15
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
One more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6CF3F1C2-8CD9-4DE0-B185-82B1503EF902.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	356765  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
That's it Wachuko!. I'll bet the longer middle section is internally reinforced to span the gap across the center. My guess since the OP did not appear to see any separate support boards.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Thanks!!! I guess they are held in by the bed pressing the cushions up against the bed and the cabinets.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Installed a small safe today.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Where did you get the safe? I use a cabled lock box behind the front seats, but it is at the mercy of someone with big wire cutters. I'm just hoping to slow someone down it I were to be the victim of a quick smash & grab.

I didn't know your rear under-bed area was so narrow. Mine is still 42" wide with only minor intrusions on the left for electrical and on the right for the fresh water pump. I guess instead, you have some good lower storage forward (that I don't have because of where they relocated the Furnace and Water Heater in my model).
Old 11-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
It us a small SentrySafe X041E. Got it at Target. I drilled 2 holes through the floor, primed and painted the holes to avoid rust, and then bolted the safe to the floor.

Yeah, the storage behind the seat is small compared to the Roadtrek 190 I had before this. But the heater and hot water tank are there. I do get a lot of storage in the front.