Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
2010 AI Always Trips Shore Power GFCI

Whenever I plug into shore power that has a built-in GFCI the Interstate trips the outlet. Our van has the Tripp-Lite RV750ULHW inverter/charger and all systems seem to work fine.

So the question is this: What's going on with the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger that it causes a GFCI to sense a fault? Is it a wiring problem that can be fixed? Is it an issue inherent to Tripp-Lite and I need to install a different brand of inverter/charger?

Here's the history:

I first became aware of the issue when I connected to a 30A RV outlet at a campground earlier this year. Until then I had not encountered a shore power outlet with a built-in GFCI. So I tried another 30A pedestal and then two 50A pedestals. All had the same result. The GFCI tripped immediately. The weather was pleasant at the time so we didn't need the air conditioner and I quickly forgot about the issue.

Fast forward a few months and I tried to connect to 15A shore power at an RV storage facility. The GFCI tripped immediately. Okay, I say to myself, I'll bring the van home and do some troubleshooting. Same thing happens at home when plugged into a 20A GFCI at home. The regular 30A outlet at home is fine - everything operates as expected.

All the outlets in the van that I can identify have correct polarity if you can trust the handy little LED circuit testers. I've checked the outside outlet, inside outlets near the twin beds, under cabinet outlet, coffee maker outlet in the overhead cabinet, TV outlet in the closet, microwave and refrigerator outlets behind the cabinets and the outlet behind the drivers seat. All have correct polarity on both shore power and generator power.

I turned off all the AC circuit breakers in the van. The GFCI does not trip at that point. From there I turned on the breakers one at a time - first the 30A system breaker, then one by one the other breakers. Every time I switch the breaker on for the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger the shore power GFCI detects a fault.

Next I looked at the three switch settings for operating the Tripp-Lite. All of them trip the GFCI immediately.

ARGGHHHH!

For reference, here's a thread in which the OP had a very similar problem on a 2009 Interstate. The OP was able to find a work-around by turning off the inverter/charger breaker, then connect to the shore power GFCI, then turn on the inverter/charger. As I said, that does not work for me so I'm still looking for a solution.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...er-102150.html

The picture below shows the three switch positions for the Tripp-Lite. I'll be in touch with their technical support when they open on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV750ULHW.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	311378  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
I learned that a downstream GFCI outlet can act like a short to ground for the upstream outlet, thus it trips out immediately as designed. Since then I just turn off the circuit breaker for any GFCI outlets inside the van before hooking up to regular 15A shore outlet and everything is fine, even using a skinny 50’ extension cord if you don’t plan on running the AC or microwave
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Thanks to Protag for this tip, this is the GFCI breaker on my 2014.5 lounge Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	768.3 KB
ID:	311381
Old 05-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
From my experience, as PROTAGONIST & AIR99 had mentioned in another thread, a downstream GFCI can be seen by upstream GFCI as a short. I have seen this myself in my stick house. During the building process, our electrician ran into situation. And it may not trip everytime.

Barring the above, maybe check your A/C input/output connections first. (8 in diagram) Assuming proper polarity, just be sure all is tight, nothing fraying. To then further isolate, disconnect your A/C output wires. This should tell you if it truly is the Tripp-Lite tripping the GFCI or the outlets being fed from Tripp-Lite's output. Though I thought the smart inverters take care of GFCI functions internally. So, it would be surprising if it passed through?

Name:	20180519_121418.png
Views:	116
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	311382
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
...Barring the above, maybe check your A/C input/output connections first. (8 in diagram) Assuming proper polarity, just be sure all is tight, nothing fraying. To then further isolate, disconnect your A/C output wires. This should tell you if it truly is the Tripp-Lite tripping the GFCI or the outlets being fed from Tripp-Lite's output. Though I thought the smart inverters take care of GFCI functions internally. So, it would be surprising if it passed through?
Those ideas are certainly worth investigating. This will be useful information in the event I need to contact Tripp-Lite. I'll post the results tomorrow.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Here's my best guess:

A GFCI senses the difference between the current in the hot line and the current in the neutral line. If the difference exceeds some value, it trips.

It is quite common for power supplies (like a converter/inverter) to have capacitors between the hot line to ground and the neutral line to ground to filter noise. Since the voltage on the neutral line is zero with respect to ground no current will flow through the capacitor on the neutral line, but the voltage on the hot line is 120 volts to ground and some current will flow. This looks to the GFCI like leakage to ground (because it is). If the capacitor is large enough, that current may be enough to trip the GFCI.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Here's my best guess:
This looks to the GFCI like leakage to ground (because it is). If the capacitor is large enough, that current may be enough to trip the GFCI.
Spot on. Quoted from XANTREX and link to .pdf. Should be easy fix if you are handy with wiring:

"Some RV parks and marinas have shore cord connections that are supplied through GFCI breakers. When the coach or boat is plugged in, the whole coach/boat electrical system would be protected against ground faults. If the GFCI trips when the system is connected, it indicates that there is too much AC leakage to ground. The most common cause of this problem when it is associated with the inverter/charger has to do with the way the inverter/charger is installed, not with the unit itself.

When installing an inverter/charger, it is important that the AC output side of the inverter feeds its own hot and neutral buses. These buses need to be isolated from the input MAIN hot and neutral buses. All the loads that are fed by the inverter need to connect to these isolated hot and neutral buses. Using one common ground bus however is acceptable. In many cases, where GFCIs have tripped, the installer has connected the inverter AC output neutral to the main neutral bus. Since the inverter grounds its output neutral when it is OFF or inverting, if the output neutral is connected to the main neutral, the main neutral also gets grounded. A GFCI will detect this condition and trip out before the inverter has a chance to disconnect ground from its output neutral when it transfers shorepower through."

http://maze.airstreamlife.com/wp-con...h_Note_018.pdf

And for those using the workaround - may still need to isolate at minimum your Output Neutral from Main Neutral bus
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Thanks for the comments. I too have experienced problems with GFCI outlets on the end of extension cords when the cord is plugged into a GFCI outlet at the construction site. Seems too many GFCI breakers in the series can cause a problem.

Seeing the description from XANTREX is interesting. I'll certainly check with Tripp-Lite to see if they have an related documentation.

Here's the latest with my troubleshooting...

- I opened the AC in-out box on the Tripp-Lite to verify the connections were tight. Most screws seemed tight but one of the ground wires turned a small amount. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. The shore power GFCI still trips.

- I disconnected the output side of the Tripp-Lite. Nope, that didn't fix the problem so I reconnected the wires.

- I double-checked that turning off the breaker to the Tripp-Lite does fix the problem so I turned the breaker back on.

- I disconnected the input wires to the Tripp-Lite. As you'd expect, that fixed the problem.

So I'm dialing in on the fact that somehow the Tripp-Lite is the problem. I'll certainly be in touch with them during regular work hours to see what they have to say.

As I was putting everything back together on the Tripp-Lite I noticed the following warning on the inside of the plastic cover on the AC in-out section of the inverter/charger:

CAUTION: BONDING BETWEEN THE CONDUIT CONNECTIONS IS NOT AUTOMATIC AND MUST BE PROVIDED AS PART OF THE INSTALLATION.

Hmmm... What does that mean? And is my unit properly bonded? I'll post pictures on the next entry.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Several pictures that may help...

Name:	IMG_7331.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	311468

Name:	IMG_7330.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	311469

Name:	IMG_7328.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	311470

Wondering if the caution is telling me there should be a ground wire joining the input to the output?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Wondering if the caution is telling me there should be a ground wire joining the input to the output?
From Tripp-Lite RV750ULHW installation manual:

Name:	20180520_073344.png
Views:	96
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	311473
"Replace cover plate and tighten screws.* If the incoming conduit only contains two wires (hot and neutral), the incoming conduit must be bonded to the main ground lug on the unit. In any case, the incoming conduit must be bonded to earth or vehicle ground, and the incoming conduit must be bonded to the outgoing conduit"
Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
I think you are confusing "conduit" with "wire". Conduit is a tube that you run the wire through from one connection to another. If the conduit is metallic, then it must be grounded. This protects you if there is a short between the wires in the conduit. From your photograph, your installation does not have any conduit. It might not be a bad idea to ground the two metallic strain relief fittings together and then to ground.

I know this does not help with your GFCI problem, but I wanted to clarify.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
As PAT said, tying the 2 metallic strain reliefs and unit GND lug (red arrows) to vehicle/ chassis GND is not bad idea (actually a MUST per manufacturer) even though no conduit being used past those 2 points.

Also looking at your pic, unit's GND lug at lower left seems to have wire going through it. I just can not see if that's tied to vehicle chassis/GND or floating?

However, I am not sure how it contributes to original GFCI tripping problem.

Name:	20180520_104421.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	653.3 KB
ID:	311487
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
GFCI problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Whenever I plug into shore power that has a built-in GFCI the Interstate trips the outlet. Our van has the Tripp-Lite RV750ULHW inverter/charger and all systems seem to work fine.

So the question is this: What's going on with the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger that it causes a GFCI to sense a fault? Is it a wiring problem that can be fixed? Is it an issue inherent to Tripp-Lite and I need to install a different brand of inverter/charger?

Here's the history:

I first became aware of the issue when I connected to a 30A RV outlet at a campground earlier this year. Until then I had not encountered a shore power outlet with a built-in GFCI. So I tried another 30A pedestal and then two 50A pedestals. All had the same result. The GFCI tripped immediately. The weather was pleasant at the time so we didn't need the air conditioner and I quickly forgot about the issue.

Fast forward a few months and I tried to connect to 15A shore power at an RV storage facility. The GFCI tripped immediately. Okay, I say to myself, I'll bring the van home and do some troubleshooting. Same thing happens at home when plugged into a 20A GFCI at home. The regular 30A outlet at home is fine - everything operates as expected.

All the outlets in the van that I can identify have correct polarity if you can trust the handy little LED circuit testers. I've checked the outside outlet, inside outlets near the twin beds, under cabinet outlet, coffee maker outlet in the overhead cabinet, TV outlet in the closet, microwave and refrigerator outlets behind the cabinets and the outlet behind the drivers seat. All have correct polarity on both shore power and generator power.

I turned off all the AC circuit breakers in the van. The GFCI does not trip at that point. From there I turned on the breakers one at a time - first the 30A system breaker, then one by one the other breakers. Every time I switch the breaker on for the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger the shore power GFCI detects a fault.

Next I looked at the three switch settings for operating the Tripp-Lite. All of them trip the GFCI immediately.

ARGGHHHH!

For reference, here's a thread in which the OP had a very similar problem on a 2009 Interstate. The OP was able to find a work-around by turning off the inverter/charger breaker, then connect to the shore power GFCI, then turn on the inverter/charger. As I said, that does not work for me so I'm still looking for a solution.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...er-102150.html

The picture below shows the three switch positions for the Tripp-Lite. I'll be in touch with their technical support when they open on Monday.
I had the same problem with my 2010 AI. Got too frustrating so I replaced my Tripp Lite with another. Problem fixed
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Millner View Post
I had the same problem with my 2010 AI. Got too frustrating so I replaced my Tripp Lite with another. Problem fixed
Interesting... which brand and model did you install?

I contacted Tripp-Lite today and they do not have a fix for the problem I am experiencing. Since we're the 4th owner of the Interstate and it's long out of warranty from Airstream and Tripp-Lite I'm running out of options with this existing unit. If anyone has a way to "fix" the problem please let me know.

Otherwise, I guess I'll juggle the to-do list for the Interstate and move "replace inverter" to a higher priority. Lewster suggested I replace the Tripp-Lite product with a Magnum MMS1012 or MS2012. The ultimate goal being better battery charging modes, improved battery monitoring and the thought of adding solar panels at some point in the future.

If anyone has purchased the Magnum products (or other) please assure me you are not having problems with tripping shore power GFCI receptacles. I certainly don't want to spend $$$ on a new inverter/charger only to find I still trip breakers!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
LUCIUS,
Try this method that I found from an F150 Off-Road truck forum I am part of. As you and TrippLite already know (and seems to be an old known issue known to the F150 off-roaders) Tripp Lite has this issue. Many there use this workaround :

<<start quote>>
"Here is the trick to plug into a GFCI if you have the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger. Turn the inverter on (auto invert) and then plug to the shore power outlet. After waiting a couple of minutes you can turn the inverter off (line charge only) and you should be fine. You could also leave the inverter in the on and the batteries will charge just fine.
<<end quote>>

My take is Tripp Lite ties output Neutral to GND when in off. So, if you plug in to shore GFCI when inverter is off, GFCI sees that and trips without giving Tripp Lite chance to disconnect output Neutral from GND. When Tripp Lite is on, output Neutral disconnects from GND and stays disconnected once shore power is connected.

Hope this does the trick. At least worth trying before getting a new one
Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #16
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
LUCIUS,
Try this method that I found from an F150 Off-Road truck forum I am part of. As you and TrippLite already know (and seems to be an old known issue known to the F150 off-roaders) Tripp Lite has this issue. Many there use this workaround :

<<start quote>>
"Here is the trick to plug into a GFCI if you have the Tripp-Lite inverter/charger. Turn the inverter on (auto invert) and then plug to the shore power outlet. After waiting a couple of minutes you can turn the inverter off (line charge only) and you should be fine. You could also leave the inverter in the on and the batteries will charge just fine.
<<end quote>>

My take is Tripp Lite ties output Neutral to GND when in off. So, if you plug in to shore GFCI when inverter is off, GFCI sees that and trips without giving Tripp Lite chance to disconnect output Neutral from GND. When Tripp Lite is on, output Neutral disconnects from GND and stays disconnected once shore power is connected.

Hope this does the trick. At least worth trying before getting a new one
Woo-Hoo! It worked! Will I remember this when I roll into the next campground after dark and I'm tired and hot? I hope so. Maybe I'll paste a reminder near the power cord or the monitor panel or something.

The Tripp-Lite representatives were polite and friendly on the phone this morning but I could tell they didn't know much about the product. Technical support was limited and when I asked to speak to a design engineer I was informed that all customer inquiries are handled by the "800" number that I had called. In the end, the representative did take my phone number and email address and indicated somebody would get back to me in a few days. I hope that's the case and I can obtain a definitive answer to the question of inrush current, ground/bonding, etc.

Thanks again. Hopefully this workaround will help others.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Camas , Washington
Awesome advice!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Alex,

You nailed it, except it is not just Tripp-Lite. Most Pass-Through(Hybrid) Inverter/Chargers have the same auto transfer switches; both for the AC Source and the Neutral-Ground bond. And, they have to be turned on to use them. When the Inverter/Charger senses an external AC Source it does the following:

1. Turns off the Inverter
2. Opens the Neutral-Ground Bond connection
3. Closes the external AC Source switch

When the external AC source is disconnected the Inverter/Charger:

1. Disconnects the external AC Source
2. Closes the Neutral-Ground Bond Connection
3. Turns on the Inverter

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
Alex,

You nailed it, except it is not just Tripp-Lite. Most Pass-Through(Hybrid) Inverter/Chargers have the same auto transfer switches; both for the AC Source and the Neutral-Ground bond. And, they have to be turned on to use them. When the Inverter/Charger senses an external AC Source it does the following:

1. Turns off the Inverter
2. Opens the Neutral-Ground Bond connection
3. Closes the external AC Source switch

When the external AC source is disconnected the Inverter/Charger:

1. Disconnects the external AC Source
2. Closes the Neutral-Ground Bond Connection
3. Turns on the Inverter

Pat
Yeah, just learned that piece of info few mins ago from a friend I reached out to. As an EE this behaviour intrigued me. And I have diverged into the Electronics part of the field and have forgotten most power systems training I had 35 yrs ago. So regardless of workaround, I wanted to know why this happened. A friend sent me a very long explanation, but my main takeaway is the Auto-Transfer Switch diagram he sent. I have the long paper if anyone really cares to get bored (like me). But the diagram below should help better than words:

K2, K3 top relays used for Neutral-to-Gnd Bond switching
K1, K4 bottom relays used for Hot switching
contacts 4->3 - normally closed, Out Neutral bonded to Gnd
contacts 4->5 - normally open
All relays de-energized in inverter mode & energized in Shore/Gen power mode

Name:	20180521_172948.png
Views:	125
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	311639

But the inverter has to be ON (not necessarily inverting, just Auto or On) for the transfer switch 'smarts' to work and disconnect Out Neutral from Gnd when it senses shore power. So is this happening (based on your Steps 1,2,3) because it has turned off the inverter already, before it has disconnected Neutral-Gnd bond connection? (coz we already established it can't do the disconnect if inverter is off). I am happy with workaround but not satisfied how the product is handling the sequence.

Very confused here So, my lingering question is - are we all susceptible to this with GFCI shore power? Or are the newer inverters/chargers 'smart' enough that the transfer relay logic is always powered ready for the switchover? I have not had opportunity to test mine yet (out of town few days).
Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Yeah, just learned that piece of info few mins ago from a friend I reached out to. As an EE this behaviour intrigued me. And I have diverged into the Electronics part of the field and have forgotten most power systems training I had 35 yrs ago. So regardless of workaround, I wanted to know why this happened. A friend sent me a very long explanation, but my main takeaway is the Auto-Transfer Switch diagram he sent. I have the long paper if anyone really cares to get bored (like me). But the diagram below should help better than words:

K2, K3 top relays used for Neutral-to-Gnd Bond switching
K1, K4 bottom relays used for Hot switching
contacts 4->3 - normally closed
contacts 4->5 - normally open
All relays de-energized in inverter mode & energized in Shore/Gen power mode

Attachment 311639

But the inverter has to be ON (not necessarily inverting, just Auto or On) for the transfer switch 'smarts' to work and disconnect Out Neutral from Gnd when it senses shore power. So is this happening (based on your Steps 1,2,3) because it has turned off the inverter already, before it has disconnected Neutral-Gnd bond connection? (coz we already established it can't do the disconnect if inverter is off). I am happy with workaround but not satisfied how the product is handling the sequence.

Very confused here So, my lingering question is - are we all susceptible to this with GFCI shore power? Or are the newer inverters/chargers 'smart' enough that the transfer relay logic is always powered ready for the switchover? I have not had opportunity to test mine yet (out of town few days).

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote