Old 08-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
2009 Interstate Questions

Hi,
I just purchased a 2009 Interstate. I've read through a lot of the documentation but have some questions:

1. Total tank size is 26 gallons of diesel (correct?), at what point does the 'reserve tank' message kick on?

2. Is there a legend somewhere for the six switches just inside the sliding door? Some obviously switch on lights some are not so obvious (red switch etc?)

3. After opening the sliding door an oval opening is revealed (lower left of the door opening). There is a white box with a switch in here-- what is this for?

4. When the engine is on or the generator is on I can turn on lights and such. What should operate (if anything) if the engine is not on, the generator is not on and the vehicle is not attached to an alternate power source?

thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5443.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	244965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5444.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	244966  

Old 08-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneebot View Post
1. Total tank size is 26 gallons of diesel (correct?), at what point does the 'reserve tank' message kick on?
You are correct; 26 gallons is the standard fuel tank size for a Sprinter. You'll get the message about the same time as you would on any other vehicle with a tank that size, when you've got about 5 or 6 gallons left, which should give you 100 miles or so to find a service station.
Quote:
2. Is there a legend somewhere for the six switches just inside the sliding door? Some obviously switch on lights some are not so obvious (red switch etc?)
From left to right…
1 - "Porch" light on the outside of the van, lights up the area under your awning, but dim enough that it's more of a night-light for outside.
2 - Step lock. Keeps the step out when you close the sliding side door when it's on. Experiment with this, because on mine it's backwards from all the other switches, step is locked when you press the lower part of the switch, unlocked when you press the upper part. Starting the engine overrides the step lock regardless.
3 - Lighted switch for the tank heaters. Use only when the temperature is predicted to go close to or below freezing, and only when you have shore power. That one switch can drain your house batteries stony dead overnight if used without shore power.
4 - Courtesy lights, by the sliding side door and in the back next to the LPG detector. Basically a night-light for inside.
5 - Bathroom light. Seems weird not to have it right by the bathroom door, but you get used to it.
6 - Main overhead lights.
Quote:
3. After opening the sliding door an oval opening is revealed (lower left of the door opening). There is a white box with a switch in here-- what is this for?
Mine doesn't have a switch there, so I don't know.
Quote:
4. When the engine is on or the generator is on I can turn on lights and such. What should operate (if anything) if the engine is not on, the generator is not on and the vehicle is not attached to an alternate power source?
If you have turned on the 12v system with the big red switch under the sofa (or under one of the twin beds if you got a twin bed model) AND have turned on the inverter, then everything will work except the air conditioner and microwave. For those two items you need either generator or shore power. But as noted above with regard to tank heaters, some things are energy hogs and shouldn't be run from batteries, even though they can be…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
Thanks, that's very helpful.

In the quote below I assume turning on the inverter is done by switching the auto invert/ line charge only switch to the auto invert position??

Would one only use line charge only when connected to shore power?

This vehicle sat for some time so I'm guessing the house batteries may be shot.

[QUOTE=Protagonist;1665693]
Mine doesn't have a switch there, so I don't know.If you have turned on the 12v system with the big red switch under the sofa (or under one of the twin beds if you got a twin bed model) AND have turned on the inverter, then everything will work except the air conditioner and microwave. QUOTE]
Old 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
two other switches I'm not sure about functionality, the Atwood switches on the upper left...

I think these relate to the furnace but not sure what they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5445.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	244970  
Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Those are for the water heater. It uses either propane or electric.

I'm guessing rig didn't come with the Airstream manual.

Edit: If so, see here: http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...ate-manual.pdf

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Welcome SNEEBOT! Just up the road in NH from you.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
In the quote below I assume turning on the inverter is done by switching the auto invert/ line charge only switch to the auto invert position??
That is the tricky part. A 2009 Interstate probably has a Tripplite inverter/charger. It has a three-position switch on the front of the unit itself, AND a two-position remote switch on your control panel.

If the switch on in the unit is in the "off" position OR the "charge only" position, the remote control doesn't work; the switch overrides the remote.

If the switch on the unit is in "auto/invert" THEN the remote control works, and you can set the unit to either "auto/invert" or "line charge" from the remote.

When hooked up to shore power or running the generator, the inverter/charger charges the house batteries with the switches in ANY position except "Off." This is because auto/invert mode detects whether there's a source of 120vAC and if there is, it charges; if there isn't, it inverts. This allows the inverter to keep your 120vAC appliances going in the event you lose shore power— all except the A/C and microwave that aren't powered by the inverter.

I leave my inverter/charger in "line charge" mode while hooked up to shore power. That way if I lose shore power I instantly know it because all of my 120vAC appliances and televisions stop working right away, and I know to check what happened.

When storing your Interstate without a shore power connection, it's a good idea to use the three-position switch on the front of the unit to turn it completely off; you can't do that from the remote.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
two other switches I'm not sure about functionality, the Atwood switches on the upper left...

I think these relate to the furnace but not sure what they do.
73shark is correct; those two switches on the white panel at top left are for the water heater. You can operate the water heater in electric mode, propane mode, OR both. If you use a lot of hot water, turning both switches on at the same time lets you heat 6 gallons of water from cold to hot in about 10 minutes. Using only one heating element at a time it takes 15-17 minutes, with propane being a bit faster than electric.

A word of advice, when using your rooftop air conditioner, put the water heater in propane mode only. The electric heating element is an energy hog, and so is the air conditioner, and the two together will pretty much use up your entire 30 amps so you can't run much else.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
In addition to the microwave and the A/C, there are one or more outlets that are only functional when on shore power or generator power. These should be deliminated in the owner's manual.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
It came with the manual and a mfg flyer for the water heater but I don't see anything on either about these switches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Those are for the water heater. It uses either propane or electric.

I'm guessing rig didn't come with the Airstream manual.

Edit: If so, see here: http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...ate-manual.pdf
Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Welcome SNEEBOT! Just up the road in NH from you.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
I'll have to look into this further tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That is the tricky part. A 2009 Interstate probably has a Tripplite inverter/charger. It has a three-position switch on the front of the unit itself, AND a two-position remote switch on your control panel.

If the switch on in the unit is in the "off" position OR the "charge only" position, the remote control doesn't work; the switch overrides the remote.

If the switch on the unit is in "auto/invert" THEN the remote control works, and you can set the unit to either "auto/invert" or "line charge" from the remote.

When hooked up to shore power or running the generator, the inverter/charger charges the house batteries with the switches in ANY position except "Off." This is because auto/invert mode detects whether there's a source of 120vAC and if there is, it charges; if there isn't, it inverts. This allows the inverter to keep your 120vAC appliances going in the event you lose shore power— all except the A/C and microwave that aren't powered by the inverter.

I leave my inverter/charger in "line charge" mode while hooked up to shore power. That way if I lose shore power I instantly know it because all of my 120vAC appliances and televisions stop working right away, and I know to check what happened.

When storing your Interstate without a shore power connection, it's a good idea to use the three-position switch on the front of the unit to turn it completely off; you can't do that from the remote.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
It came with the manual and a mfg flyer for the water heater but I don't see anything on either about these switches.
Doesn't appear to be anything in the manual about them. The lightning bolt switch turns on the electric side of the heater while the flame switch turns on and ignites the propane side of the heater.

I was told that since it's only six gallons, that it heats the water very hot so that it will go farther. It's stated somewhere that it's the equivalent to nine gallons. I know that you can take at least two consecutive showers w/o running out.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Boylston , Massachusetts
Looks like the house batteries are indeed completely dead. What is the recommended replacement for a 2009-- Lifeline AGM 24T??