Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Covington , Louisiana
Rivet 2008 Interstate 3500 Generator Exhaust Routing Question

The generator (Onan 2500) exhaust pipe routing on my coach goes diagonally under the rear axle gear housing and exits behind the driver's side duals. The problem is the exhaust pipe with heat shield hangs so absurdly low that it will hit curbs or parking markers if you back into a parking spot. I think it is also very vulnerable to being torn off just becaue it hangs so low. I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and tried to solve it by re-routing the exhaust or why Airstream would have installed it that low to begin with?
solar-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On ours, it is the engine exhaust that hangs low and exits behind the driver's side rear wheels.

We have scraped the heat shield here and there, never knocked it off nor hit a curb when backing into a parking spot. Doug has cinched it up a few times for reinforcement, and we have also had its' holding bracket replaced once.

It may look like it won't clear, and you may need to watch it carefully, but it may well clear and you just don't know it. Might take a measurement.

Yours may also be hanging extra low because it has been bumped and something has come loose. If it hasn't been looked at good from underneath, that would be your first step.

Doug's concern if you tried to reroute this is that you may affect the performance of the generator.

We have more problems with the front bumper and high curbs. Ground clearance is not the Interstate's strong suit. It's all part of the charm.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You might contact Jim Parrett at Airstream. jparrett@airstream.com

Might be able to supply a picture of how it left the factory. He's always been very helpful for me.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Doug's concern if you tried to reroute this is that you may affect the performance of the generator.
Speaking as a mechanical engineer, the main thing about the exhaust system is its length. If you make it longer or shorter, you will affect generator performance by changing the back-pressure. If you keep it the same length and simply reroute it, there should be no particular problem. I still wouldn't recommend it, though, until and unless you do snag it on something. If the exhaust pipe is damaged anway, then you might as well reroute it to prevent a recurrence, otherwise, I'd leave it where it is.

Not having done the factory tour, I cannot say how much of the generator installation was engineered and how much was fitted by trial and error, but they put the exhaust where it is for a reason that's NOT just simple carelessness.