Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Cary , North Carolina
2007 interstate rear kitchen pros/cons

I'm considering getting a 2007 interstate with the rear kitchen. Does anyone have experience withe this setup? I really like the van but not sure of the kitchen. If anyone can tell their experiences with this setup it would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mletke View Post
I'm considering getting a 2007 interstate with the rear kitchen. Does anyone have experience withe this setup? I really like the van but not sure of the kitchen. If anyone can tell their experiences with this setup it would be greatly appreciated
Pros: --presumably the generator is in the rear and thus you would not be sleeping on top of it.
--Easier to find this model in the used market thus you might be able to haggle lower price.

Cons: --no functional use of the rear doors.
--Food prep area is inches from the toilet.

We have the 2007 with jack knife couches in the rear and mid kitchen. We looked at the model you describe but I couldn't live with the kitchen. I have no regrets about holding out for what we wanted and paying the corresponding premium. It is of course a personal choice.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
When we had our interstate we opened the rear doors to let the heat and smell of cooking out. It was the rear kitchen model. Never had a problem with the bath next to it behind a wall.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
We have rear kitchen and wet bath model. The openness of the mid section makes it fun to be in while traveling and we don't have those big vertical barriers blocking what little space an Interstate has available. We put the spare tire hanging outside the drivers side rear door and created great storage for camp chairs, tools, etc. I much prefer this model for it's friendly vibe for two people. (Only one person in the galley at a time) Passenger side rear door opens with screening for no-seeums and ventilation. The exhaust fan is right there for galley or head odors and also Ventilates very well. I have removed the back of the passenger jack-seat and created a permanent bed leaving an aisle to get from front to back with the drivers side jack-bed in the bed position. This is a 2500 model Airstream Sprinter (my preference to the dually 3500) with chassis modifications that make it handle really well, without a passenger launching attitude.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have the mid bath model, with the rear sleeper.....it was what we wanted in a B Van before we ever discovered Interstates.

We wanted, and have always loved, the surround of windows in the rear. Regardless of what the weather or time of day, we could look around at our surroundings.

When weather was accommodating, we put the Velcro attached screen in the rear opening, and could look out at the beach, mountains, whatever, without being bothered by insects.

I enjoyed many an early morning cup of coffee propped up in the rear, watching the sun rise over wherever we happened to be.

Just depends on what you want.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
We used to have a rear bath. Excellent floor plan. The cosy galley in the back works well. As stated, the openness in the front is awesome. Only downside is that if you are tall, you will want to sleep with your head pointing toward the rear. But it is awkward to climb out of the head-end of the bed to get to the bathroom.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Avanti-
That is why I described the sleeping arrangement providing an aisle when the beds are used and that "urge in the night occurs". It works easily unless your calves are 15" in diameter, then I would remove the back of the other jack-bed and have two twin beds and use pillows or rolled sleeping bag as backrest. You are correct one side does have a length of bed limitation, the other side can be modified for length in the sliding doorway.
There also is a configuration that has a convertible table on the passenger side, but that bed length is shorter when normally made up , without any modifications.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

2006 22' Parkway
Merlin , Oregon
2007 interstate rear bath

We recently found a 2007 interstate (downsized from 37' RV) and it works well but tight.
I found a reference article on the web by Googling 2007 airstream interstate re the soil tank plumbing on the side bath model. The tank straps can become loose allowing the tank to shift forward and shears all the pipes. Check that out if you decide on that model. Look for signs of fluids coming off the tank top.
The tank on the rear bath model does not have the problem because the tank is mounted crosswise.
Tom