Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #1

2005 Westfalia options

I just ordered a 2005 Westy and was told that it has a generator and fridgerator. I happened to be on some dealer's site and they had the generator and freezer as an option (I was told that the refridgerator is also a freezer). The only extra option I ordered was the microwave.

Does anyone know if what I ordered will actually have the generator and freezer? I must have a generator.

This dealer (Windish-rv.com) I bought it from never even heard of a westy and didn't know they were a dealer, they have no idea. They also said my deposit is nonrefundable.
DM_CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Let me get this straight.

You ordered an $80,000 vehicle from a dealer who:

(a) never heard of the product
(b) doesn't know they are a dealer for the vehicle
(c) isn't able to identify the options to your satisfaction
(d) wants a non-refundable deposit

??

There are plenty of good Airstream dealers out there. The questions you are asking should really be asked of one of them.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I don't know anything about them either, but they sure look cool. I hope you will remember to tell the rest of us what you think about it after you get it.

Good luck to you,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Thumbs up Congratulations, DM CO!!!

Yes, standard equipment includes the Onan 2.5 Microlite propane generator. The Airstream Westfalia comes fairly loaded, the only other options being the freezer, TV/DVD combo and a surf board or kayak rack.

It's a superb machine, too! While not for everyone, the Sprinter-based rv's are the new standard for efficiency and technology in a Class B - or any - van, and the Westfalia in particular. Absolutely outstanding in every respect, it's German heritage and engineering is apparent throughout the coach, with that unmistakably high level of fit, finish and operation evident from the 5-cylinder Mercedes diesel mated with a tiptronic-type 5-speed auto transmission (22 mpg!!) to the stellar interior appointments, technologically advanced appliances and space-aged floor plan. Conceptually speaking, an awesomely sophisticated vehicle; you'll be neither disappointed - nor bored. Whether or not you use them, I would encourage purchasing the LCD TV/DVD combo and freezer; considering the price, an extra thousand or so for a fully-opted rig is not a bad investment, from either a livability or trade/sell standpoint.

A 'Westfalia' search, both here and on rv.net, should yield additional insight. Yahoo.com has a Sprinter van group and an informative discussion forum can be found on thesprinterstop.com, as well. ColonialAirstream.com also has a detailed site with excellent photographs.

FWIW, we had the 'privilege' of thoroughly inspecting the Westfalia when taking delivery of our Airstream Interstate; we were very impressed with both and have been nothing less than ecstatic ever since. Without doubt, the Interstate also lives up to it's reputation, far exceeding all expectations. Perhaps after a few more miles we'll be able to post a drive report.
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 Westfalia Options

There are only two options for the Westfalia from the factory-the microwave and the TV/DVD combination.
The refrigerator/freezer is a combination unit that does one or the other but not both at the same time. There is a temperature range selector that is part of the control panel located in the overhead above the dash.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #6
_

. , .
if a goal is quality construction......

airstream need look no further than the new westie.....while a few features are added after reaching the usa, most of the unit is built/assembled in germany. i mean the coach....not just the chassis.

the interstate is a nice contrast since it has the same underpinnings but with most of the coach finished here.

the difference in fit, finish, details, materials and workmanship is extreme. the westie is so much nicer. the living quarters really are put together like a fine euro car. most of the surfaces are done so well that it puts the other airstream products to shame....and i like airstreams. the surface materials are of a caliber that just isn't available to us on domestic rvs. when i inspected a couple of units at differrent dealers, i could find no rough edges, uneven trim, gaps or typical "issues" loyal airstreamers tolerate in the main product lines. for example most trim edges and fasteners on airstream products (like screw heads) are 'chewed' a little during assembly or sharp edged. just run your hand over the surface/insides of any part on the inside of a typical a/s trailer....burrs everywhere will find your skin.....but on the westie every fastener or trim edge is smooth and new.

while the interstate is nice too, it's really easy to tell the insides aren't done in the same factory......it really is finished more like the trailers.

and it's a shame because we love our airstream vessels and will keep on buying them, so there isn't any realy way for customers to force the factory to build them with fewer defects.....as long as we buy them.

i'm happy that construction has improve in the last few years but 'better' isn't good enough....again just look closely at the german made product. it's the target jackson center should be aiming for and hitting on trailers and motorhomes.

we just want quality in the product that we intend to cherish....and the new westie shows that this level of quality is possible.....

cheers
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Talking "Dead on it," 2airishumam...

...and while the Interstate is just what our doctor ordered, ya gotsta give the Westfalia great props; that Airstream is offering this diverse pair is also quite a coup...
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote