Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
2005 Airstream Interstate

Last week we picked up a very nice 2005 AI with only 48k miles
We are totally new to rv-ing and looking forward to future trips.
I do like the fuel economy and size of the van, I wish there were more stage space however.
I may consider removing the rear seats and redesigning the sleeping area maybe in a year or two.
This model has a roof rack and it would be nice to put stuff up there, but it's so high , is there a portable ladder available or do the rear door mounted ladders work for roof access? I was thinking taking my kayak on the roof for extended fishing trips.
Cheers
Colin
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I use a collapsible ladder I found on Amazon. It's about 32" but extends to 10' 6", work's well, I just have to be careful not to pinch my fingers.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The easiest way to extend your storage with with a hitch-mounted cargo box or cargo tray. The box has the advantage that it can be locked, and generally protects the contents from the weather. The tray had the advantage that you can store items on a tray that are too big to fit in a cargo box. But rooftop probably is best for your kayak. Especially since a 2005 doesn't have a much clutter up on the roof as newer models.

This rack looks clever…
Old 05-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
sprinteraccessories.com has a rear door mounted ladder available, but I have never actually seen one in use. The problem with carrying a ladder is now you have to store the ladder. My wife got me an inflatable boat for my birthday. It fire in the rear Thule cargo carrier(which matches the silver and black colors of the Interstate, by the way). I do, however, like Pro's video rack.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I just work on installing a cargo box in true airstream fashion all aluminum.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401140863.811781.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	601.5 KB
ID:	212913Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401140900.133864.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	212917Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401140926.057224.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	806.6 KB
ID:	212918
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
I do have a black heavy duty pvc cargo box I got from the previous owner which I will use for camping gear but I like the idea from Sebtown with the collapsable ladder. The hinged kayak racks are also very nice
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
My wife and I also just purchased a 2005 interstate in April. We have boo docked with it and have taken it from Denver to Los Angeles with a stop in Vegas. We then turned around and drove it back home to Indiana via Route 66. Last week we drove it from Indiana to Toronto Canada and on through canada via the 401 all the way to Maine and camped at the Arcadia national park. Over the past month we have traveled over 10,000 miles and spent 3 weeks in her. We also have been getting just under 24 miles a gallon. Modifications I made was 1) added a shower curtain behind from driver seat than can be pulled for privacy when we stop to sleep. 2) replaced the original battery charger with a bone docker 60 amp so I can leave it plugged in as it has a 4 way charger. I built a rear offset table. Our interstate is the rear seating/bed. The table can be left up with plenty of room for one to sleep if the other is driving. Added a support that fits into the table posts to help support the rear bed for better sleeping. Replaced the tv antenna with a smaller more aerodynamic one. Revealed the roof, don't overlook that if it has the original sealant!!! Everything has worked great! We could not be happier. We sold our last b class last year, a roadtrek 190 popular and we wanted a sprinter class. We are glad we did!
Air_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
PSchw, nice aluminum storage box, but where is your lighted license plate? In PA its required to be seen once something is added that covers it. And lights might also be required so as to be seen as the end of the vehicle on a dark road.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
PSchw, nice aluminum storage box, but where is your lighted license plate? In PA its required to be seen once something is added that covers it. And lights might also be required so as to be seen as the end of the vehicle on a dark road.
Lights are probably not required (except the license plate, as you said), but DoT conspicuity reflectors on the cargo box— sides and rear— definitely would not be amiss. The original Sprinter taillights, brake lights, and turn signals are all visible to following traffic with the cargo box lid closed, so it's not really any worse than a pickup traveling with an open tailgate.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
It is still work in progress. The lights are not covered the box us only 57" wide I work on a place and a light for the license plate. I just worked on it on Saturday hope to finish it this week and I put pictures up with license plate.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Air Head, would caution you about driving with that table in place.

If you were to have an accident, it is heavy enough it could take your head off flying forward. We were told never to drive with ours in place.

We found the rear table more of an annoyance than functional, didn't like messing with it or that it took up an entire under-bench storage area. We left it in the garage after the first trip, and there it remains 7 years and 146,000 miles later.

We have a large cargo carrier to use when camping with the grands, otherwise limit what we carry to what can fit inside. A process, not an event, downsizing that way, but it does work.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Air Head

Just wondering if you would comment on differences (pros and cons) between the 190 and the Sprinter. We are looking at both platforms between the Chevy and Sprinter. Congrats on your purchase and great trip!

Bugs
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Head View Post
..... I built a rear offset table. Our interstate is the rear seating/bed. The table can be left up with plenty of room for one to sleep if the other is driving. Added a support that fits into the table posts to help support the rear bed for better sleeping. ...... Everything has worked great! We could not be happier. We sold our last b class last year, a roadtrek 190 popular and we wanted a sprinter class. We are glad we did!

Sounds like you made some great modifications to your Interstate. Could you share some photos of your off-set table and bed support arrangement?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Air Head, would caution you about driving with that table in place.

If you were to have an accident, it is heavy enough it could take your head off flying forward. We were told never to drive with ours in place.

We found the rear table more of an annoyance than functional, didn't like messing with it or that it took up an entire under-bench storage area. We left it in the garage after the first trip, and there it remains 7 years and 146,000 miles later.

We have a large cargo carrier to use when camping with the grands, otherwise limit what we carry to what can fit inside. A process, not an event, downsizing that way, but it does work.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Thanks for the insight. Although it is pretty light, I made it from bamboo and lightweight hardware, your comment is still true. Anything not bolted down is a potential missile in an accident.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Sounds like you made some great modifications to your Interstate. Could you share some photos of your off-set table and bed support arrangement?
You bet, I will take some pictures this weekend and post them.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Hi Air Head

Just wondering if you would comment on differences (pros and cons) between the 190 and the Sprinter. We are looking at both platforms between the Chevy and Sprinter. Congrats on your purchase and great trip!

Bugs
I will do my best. We have owned a class B since 1996 and have traveled to every corner of the country. My wife and 2 (now grown) girls spent many weekend and have taken loads of trips. I do most of the repairs and service myself on the rv’s. My first thought was, and probably no surprise to most that I liked the roadtrek where my wife would say the airstream. I am 6’6” and the roadtrek never felt cramped to me. Both vertically and horizontally. As a matter of fact the wife and I could easily pass in the isle on the roadtrek. I could take a shower standing up! I cannot in the airstream. The bathroom is somewhat unconventional in the roadtrek with minimal privacy. The roadtrek we had was a 2002 and it used a thin curtain to make up the lower part of the privacy door. If you are alone it worked great but for many it is not the greatest. On the other hand you never felt closed in or constricted in the roadtreks bathroom. The bed in the roadtrek was longer on one side than the other so I always slept on that side even when it was made as a “king” bed. The cushions were fine to sleep on and the couches were comfortable in the roadtrek. The roadtrek would, how do I say it, get tired on trips longer than 5 hours of continuous driving. You could feel the engine struggling as well as the transmission on most trips. We took many breaks to let her rest. The Chevy had just enough power out west but no more and it was not very comfortable for a taller person to drive. The Chevy was generally easy to work on and I spent very little to keep her going. I did replace the alternator and a battery cable but everything else work great even at 100,000 miles. She still had many more miles in her. The appliances on both rigs work well, although the fridge is bigger and much colder in the airstream. I visited the roadtrek factory in Canada and the people were super friendly and clearly proud of the product they build. After the tour the president came out and took us for an extra tour to show us a new prototype they were working on, even asked for our input. Now for the airstream, although we have only had it for 2 months and have traveled just at 10,000 miles in her, I can give my first impressions. First a note on the sprinter chassis engine and transmission….Top notch… It is hands down the best driving rv of its class I have ever driven. Handeling is a 9 out of 10 the roadtrek is a 7. Engine responsiveness the airstream a 8 the roadtrek a 6. Both units are nearly 10 years old so rust above and below deck has the airstream with a 9 and the roadtrek a 9. No surface rust what so ever, just a small under paint bubbling with both (very minor) around the window cut outs in a few spots. Appliance usability, serviceability, longevity and fit and finish is dead even, heater, air conditioners, water heaters work great and no real advantage. Both had generators and both are hanging below the vehicle by the rear axle. Both are equally hard to service but not impossible. The roadtrek was gas powered from the engine fuel tank and the airstream is lp. We boondock 90% of the time and we do use the generators. Both worked well but I prefer the exhaust from an lp generator over a gas generator. So the advantage goes to airstream. Now the important stuff, sleeping I would give the airstream a 9 and the roadtrek a 6 in comfort and convenience. Wife always hated making the bed in the roadtrek (newer ones have an electric bench sofa and I can’t comment on that one but the rear twins take some work to set up and tear down. The Airstream is a minute to set up, even with the added center support I added. Eating/watching tv and spending rainy days in the rv I would give the airstream a 6 and the roadtrek a 9. The roadtrek has way more isle room, the seats swivel where mine don’t (newer airstreams do). I will add a swivel adapter to my airstream but the only usable living area is the sofas (in the back of our model). The roadtrek has 3 windows above the driver/passenger area and they let in extra light but more importantly they make the interior feel bigger. The kitchen are is more functional in the airstream with a much bigger work area with the front bathroom than the roadtrek had. The refrigerator and microwave were a wash both were functional and both well placed. Lastly the total experience of traveling with both. I will say the fit and finish on the roadtrek is unsurpassed for longevity. They use solid hardwood on the visible bits and pieces and after 11 years it looked as good as the day it was new. I wont talk styling as that is a personal preference. The airstream is just about 100% laminate and on every surface you can see delamination taking place. The edges of the particle board was laminated with an adhesive tape that simply does not last. That being said, I still like the look and feel of the airstream. I will have to put some $$ in maintaining the look of the laminate where you really have to spend nothing on the roadtrek, but I like the overall look and the overhead compartments more in the airstream. We can carry the same amount of stuff inside but the roadtrek has outside compartments as well so it has an edge in storage we feel. Last comments, I would not put down either vehicle; we both prefer driving the sprinter if driving over 4 hours at a time. The roadtrek fit everywhere better; it was shorter in length and height. We worry about low bridges now more then with the roadtrek and some roads in national parks limit the length of the vehicle to 20’ on certain roads we like to take. Now the airstream is too big where the roadtrek was perfect (BTW same with ferries). The roadtreak was perfect for short trips and longer stays in my opinion where the airstream is unmatched for long hauls and short stays. Both had winter kits (tank heaters and such) for cold weather camping. We have given already more tours of the airstream so it gets more attention than the roadtrek did. We were very happy with both but the fact that Federal Express is getting 300,000 miles out of their sprinters with nearly no maintenance costs really does give an advantage to the sprinter for me. We have talked to many roadtrek owners and the general feeling is if you get 180K you are about done with the Chevy. As with everything there is no guarantee. I hope this helps a little. Please let me know if there are any more specific questions I could help you with. Did I mention the airstreams bathroom was small??
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Thank you for taking the time to write this very detailed response - a lot to ponder.

Kate
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write this very detailed response - a lot to ponder.

Kate
Even more so because the comparison also depends on the model years involved. Over time, features and floor plans change. For example, Air_Head's detailed comparison mentioned particle board in the Airstream, but my 2012 doesn't have any particle board that I can find; it's all solid wood. There's still a plastic laminate surface, but to me that just makes it easier to keep clean.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Was the original poster referring to the B190 Airstream van or the Roadtrek? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
We had a 2002 Chevy popular and our current B is a 2005 Airstream Interstate. To Protagonist's point I can only give my impressions on the vehicles I have owned. This is a review of my experience and in no way an attempt to sway or promote any particular B.