Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Even more so because the comparison also depends on the model years involved. Over time, features and floor plans change. For example, Air_Head's detailed comparison mentioned particle board in the Airstream, but my 2012 doesn't have any particle board that I can find; it's all solid wood. There's still a plastic laminate surface, but to me that just makes it easier to keep clean.

This is from page 8 of the current 2014 downloadable brochure on the Airstream web page. Yours certainly could be different but I believe they are still using Laminate Cabinetry. This has been a selling point for Airstream for some time. It was this European styling that sold us on the Interstate.

"Talk about soft touch ...
... luxuriously appointed with a variety of stunning colors,
finishes, and fabrics. Your options abound - choose the
seating, socializing and sleeping arrangements that best
fit your individual preference.
Premium features include:
• UltraLeather® Seating
• Plank Style Synthetic Flooring
• Magic Suede Walls and Window Boxes
• Corian Countertop
High Gloss Laminate Cabinetry
• Aluminum Ceiling, Accents, and Trim
• Adjustable LED Lighting
• LED Widescreen HDTV(s)
• Blu-Ray Player
• Entertainment System
…for complete list see page 15.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreampage8.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	213151  
Air_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Was the original poster referring to the B190 Airstream van or the Roadtrek? Jim
If you read the post Jim you will see I'm writing about an Airstream, infact thats the reason I came to this forum because it's for The Airstream Interstate
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Head View Post
This is from page 8 of the current 2014 downloadable brochure on the Airstream web page. Yours certainly could be different but I believe they are still using Laminate Cabinetry. This has been a selling point for Airstream for some time. It was this European styling that sold us on the Interstate.

"Talk about soft touch ...
... luxuriously appointed with a variety of stunning colors,
finishes, and fabrics. Your options abound - choose the
seating, socializing and sleeping arrangements that best
fit your individual preference.
Premium features include:
• UltraLeather® Seating
• Plank Style Synthetic Flooring
• Magic Suede Walls and Window Boxes
• Corian Countertop
High Gloss Laminate Cabinetry
• Aluminum Ceiling, Accents, and Trim
• Adjustable LED Lighting
• LED Widescreen HDTV(s)
• Blu-Ray Player
• Entertainment System
…for complete list see page 15.
I believe Protag said they don't use particle board but do still use laminate.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I believe Protag said they don't use particle board but do still use laminate.
Sorry you are 100% correct. I saw this was this on the airstream website for cabinetry construction..This is for new interstates, I am not sure when you stopped using particle board and went to plywood/hardwood but I know my 2005 is most all particleboard and the lamination is delaminating in several places. Nothing a little automotive adhesive cant fix or paint can touch up.

Construction
Cabinets are made of quality plywood or hardwood depending on the model.

NO particle board is used in any trailer.

Airstream cabinetry is constructed only of ±1/2” & 3/4” solid wood assemblies with pocket screws, dowels and glue for superior strength and durability. Our competitors use only 1/8” fiberboard paneling and staples.

Each Airstream is custom fit with handcrafted furniture from our woodshop. All furniture is designed to fit in and out of the trailer’s door. This technique is a bit more labor-intensive, however the increased serviceability for our customers and dealers is well worth the effort
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Construction3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	213261  
Old 06-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Sounds like you made some great modifications to your Interstate. Could you share some photos of your off-set table and bed support arrangement?
Sorry it took so long - been crazy busy. Here are the photos so far...

This is the side and read door screen - the set cost about $100 on amazon and magnets were $4.00 takes about 10 min to put in place. The magnets were strong so the wife used a pill box to keep them apart (she is so smart). The screen came in the correct size - no cutting was required. You can walk through them. They were called bugoff.

Next is the Privacy curtain for the front of the cab, it is 2 shower curtains from Walmart and a spring loaded curtain rod. We actually ended up laving it up full time on our trips and it has never moved but it is certainly safer to take it it down when traveling or permanently mount the rod. Cost was $11 each for 2 curtains it looks the same looking in the windshield as it does inside as we have put the shower curtains back to back. The rod was around $8.00. Takes seconds for privacy in the back for a quick nap parking anywhere...

I built and offset a tale for the rear. This gives one side more space for napping while the other side is great for dinning. This a bamboo butcher block top from a old microwave cart re-purposed to a table. I haven't stained it yet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SideScreen 1.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	213692   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideScreen 2.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	213693  

Name:	SideScreen 3.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	213694   Click image for larger version

Name:	BackScreen 2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	213695  

Name:	BackScreen 1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	213697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Privacy 2.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	213698  

Name:	Privacy 3.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	213699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Privacy 1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	213700  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	213701   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	213702  

Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Head View Post
Sorry it took so long - been crazy busy. Here are the photos so far...

This is the side and read door screen - the set cost about $100 on amazon and magnets were $4.00 takes about 10 min to put in place. The magnets were strong so the wife used a pill box to keep them apart (she is so smart). The screen came in the correct size - no cutting was required. You can walk through them. They were called bugoff.

Next is the Privacy curtain for the front of the cab, it is 2 shower curtains from Walmart and a spring loaded curtain rod. We actually ended up laving it up full time on our trips and it has never moved but it is certainly safer to take it it down when traveling or permanently mount the rod. Cost was $11 each for 2 curtains it looks the same looking in the windshield as it does inside as we have put the shower curtains back to back. The rod was around $8.00. Takes seconds for privacy in the back for a quick nap parking anywhere...

I built and offset a tale for the rear. This gives one side more space for napping while the other side is great for dinning. This a bamboo butcher block top from a old microwave cart re-purposed to a table. I haven't stained it yet...

Your modifications are fabulous - awesome - and marvelous -- I love the screens. You must really like the cross breeze.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Sounds like you made some great modifications to your Interstate. Could you share some photos of your off-set table and bed support arrangement?
I found the bed to be pretty flimsy when the couches were folded down as they had no support in the middle. So I took a couple posts and mounts purchased on ebay for $40 a 2x6 and a 2x4 with an old towel to protect the leather. I just screwed the boards down and folded the towel letting the screws for the pole receives hold it on. It is now super firm and I offset it so if you were getting off the bed to the isle it could completely support your weight without the couch frame holding all of the weight. It fits under the couch. My next attempt will be to make a smaller folding one. But it works perfectly right now.

I also rebadged the original dodge to a Mercedes. I was repainting the hood because of the many rock chips and it got me thinking about switching it to a merc. I didn't care for the dodge grill. I will repaint the hood next week. The rear door Mercedes came in as silver not black. Thar would not show on a silver van and I got the vision to lay a black pieces of vinyl with the silver Mercedes decal. It came out pretty nice...Never seen anything like it and it offsets the Airstream decal nicely. So I ended up replacing read door decal, front grill and hood ordainment, steering wheel decal, front windshield decal and the hub caps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed 3.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	213703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed 2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	213704  

Name:	Bed 1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	213705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge 2.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	213707  

Name:	Badge 1.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	213708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge 3.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	213710  

Name:	Badge 4.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	213711  
Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Great looking Interstate -- thanks for sharing photos. I know what kind of pain it can be to get properly sized photos uploaded.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Davis , California
We have an 04. It has a ladder on the drivers side rear door that came with it when we bought it. It works to lashe things between it and the door and on the oitside as well. We have a solar panel we store there plus chairs. We were new to RVs as well and there is a lot to figure out. We have had to mess with wiring more than we like but we are happy with our 04 with twin beds in front, kitchen in the back. Layout.
DavisBurns is offline   Reply With Quote