Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #1

1992 B Van Ford/460

Just traded an older Excella for the Van. Is there any parts stores, that anyone knows about, that caters to Vans. Need Sewer hose hatch doors and housing plus a few more covers and goodies. Used Airstream Dreams but they don't fit now. The answer is probably keep looking until something is found and make sure you have the old part with you so you can see if it fits.

Does anyone know if there is acess to the oil drain plug on the Onan GenSet that be can be reached without pulling the GenSet? Looks like there may be a manufacturing error/oversight.
bobby_409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
No, you have to pull out the generator to change the oil. It's a silly design, yes. I heard of someone that has a hole cut in their floorboard so they can drain the oil without removing the generator.

On the other hand, the generator isn't one of the really heavy ones - it's about 113 lbs, if I remember correctly. (My generator currently isn't working, and my dad and I are going to try and fix it during an upcoming trip in a few weeks, and we expect to have to pull it out of the camper to do that. I'll let you know how it goes.)

You may find the Yahoo Groups for 190 owners helpful: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Airstream190/

I don't know where to get parts for the 190, but I'm interested in finding out, too, since I bought a 1991 B van earlier this year. Enjoy your new Airstream!

--RJ
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

We bought a 1997 B-Van 3 weeks ago and now have to fetch it ourselves.
We hired Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS), but they kept telling us, they couldn't find a truck. Last friday a last minute tow outfit we contracted with broke down before they could pick the B-Van up, So, we are leaving tonight for Jackson, Mississippi with a heavy duty utility trailer.(12,500 cap) The sales lot said the VAN survived the storm (Katrina) without problems. Guess, we might call the B-Van "Katrina." Glad to know I have to remove the genset for the oil change.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
We bought a 1997 B-Van 3 weeks ago and now have to fetch it ourselves.
We hired Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS), but they kept telling us, they couldn't find a truck. Last friday a last minute tow outfit we contracted with broke down before they could pick the B-Van up, So, we are leaving tonight for Jackson, Mississippi with a heavy duty utility trailer.(12,500 cap) The sales lot said the VAN survived the storm (Katrina) without problems. Guess, we might call the B-Van "Katrina." Glad to know I have to remove the genset for the oil change.
You're towing it home? Why not drive it?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #5

1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
columbus , Mississippi
I have a 1994 B-190. The drain plug location has a small hole in the floor to enable you to drain without sliding out the Gen set. Even at that, it can get messy and the best option is to slide it out. I went through a lot of hassle and expense with my genset when I first got the van. The generator would crank and start but would quit when the start switch was released. Thinking it had a faulty switch, I took it to an onan repair shop. They didn't fix the problem as it was intermittant but charged labor nonetheless. After another mis-diagnosis for a low oil switch, I found the problem was a faulty voltage regulator. The genset is an Onan 2800 model. When starting this beast, ensure you have a good charge on your coach battery or it won't fire up.
baggydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
To change the oil I use a pump. Inexpensive at most auto stores with a short plastic tube you can stick down the fill. Works like a big syringe and takes about three fills to pretty well clean the oil out of the engine.

I am looking at pulling the genset out in order to kit the carb. Looks like two screws, fuel line, and exhaust. The exhaust is the only one that looks like it will be a pain. Any hints or suggestions on this?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #7

1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
columbus , Mississippi
The gen is easy to remove and the exaust pipe is no problem. The pipe is just clamped in place. Loosen the bracket screws and it pulls straight out and down.
baggydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydew
When starting this beast, ensure you have a good charge on your coach battery or it won't fire up.
Definitely. I usually start the engine of the van before firing the generator for exactly that reason. Hmm...voltage regulator. It'd be great if that was the problem with mine (we didn't get it fixed like I thought we would).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab