Old 05-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for all the input. After another phone call it sounds like the dealer where we bought the coach (Oregon) might be more receptive to dealing with this issue. Together by phone we agreed to give the batteries one final test to see what "condition their condition is in..." Plugged the coach in to shore power under the service advisor's recommendations and plan to leave it plugged in for at least 48 hours. I'll drive it home from our storage area (1 hr) and monitor the battery condition upon arrival. Then go from there. Not holding out much hope, but have the time and the patience. Since we took delivery just six weeks ago I hope there won't be any question about who pays for new Lifelines if it comes to that. From the input so far it sounds like a couple of upgrades might be in order as well. Didn't I just go through all this with our Flying Cloud?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #16
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I would contact Jim Parrett, Airstream National Service Manager-Touring Coaches. jparrett@airstream.com. tel: 937/596-6111 X7409; explain the situation to him. He is normally very receptive to problems like this.
Batteries are toast. I emailed Jim and am in contact with the dealer who I hope won't balk at replacing the worn out Lifelines. More to come!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
...they are toast

Took my '13 in to have the batteries load tested on May 1st. Also had the upgraded control and battery monitor installed. Here it is May 12th, 3 days before we leave for a 6 month trip.....the batteries are finally deemed "bad" after multple "procedures". Don't have an answer on who is going to cover this, but at the moment I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody need a couple of boat anchors?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
So sorry to hear that. I have two 12 volt Lifeline batteries with less than 5 month usage sitting in my garage after I upgraded my solar and battery system.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Update

Just got a call from my service manager...the dealership is going to cover the cost of the 2 new Lifeline batteries. These guys have come through once again.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Outcome. Last Friday the AirstreamNW dealer in Portland OR where we bought our 2013 Interstate replaced (on their dime) both Lifeline AGM batteries. Both were sulfated so badly the technician had difficulty removing them. Excellent service and battery discussion with the technician. Hats off to the service crew, Jim, Tim and Lora. The service staff also gave me a copy of a Technical Service Bulletin from Integrated Power Systems (IPS), Lifeline AGM battery builder, dated January 21, 2014 pertaining to "AGM batteries provided as original equipment in Airstream units." The bulletin was in response to dealer inquiries who wanted IPS to pay for batteries that needed to be replace. IPS took exception and told Airstream " It is important to note that suphation is not a manufacturing defect. Sulphation is strictly a condition of the battery not being adequately charged and maintained. This condition is not covered under the battery warranty." The bulletin essentially blames AS dealers for not properly maintaining the batteries during inventory storage periods and revisits steps dealers need to take once a coach arrives at the dealership. It seems all of the dealer inquiries to IPS have been related to exactly the same issue I just dealt with. Let me know if anyone wants a pdf of this bulletin. I can forward. Jeff
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Just got a call from my service manager...the dealership is going to cover the cost of the 2 new Lifeline batteries. These guys have come through once again.
Be sure to read my latest post about why the dealer picked up the Lifeline tab. I can forward you a copy of the technical bulletin if you want it for your records.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
These guys have been up front with me from the get-go. We both knew where we were headed when I took the unit in for battery testing.... I have new batteries, they picked up the tab......and understand why..... So I am leaving it at that. I must say that one day with the new batteries and new upgraded Magnum controller with battery monitor, has me flying high with Airstream once again. Day one of a 6 month trip was great!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #23
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
These guys have been up front with me from the get-go. We both knew where we were headed when I took the unit in for battery testing.... I have new batteries, they picked up the tab......and understand why..... So I am leaving it at that. I must say that one day with the new batteries and new upgraded Magnum controller with battery monitor, has me flying high with Airstream once again. Day one of a 6 month trip was great!
Enjoy your trip. We leave for 4 days Thursday. I agree, great feeling to have the new Lifelines onboard. Will definately look into the Magnum upgrade and monitor. Makes sense. Plan also to upgrade the solar. Pleasant travels.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
<Phew! THAT'S done!>

TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #25
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
<Phew! THAT'S done!>

Yes it is and it makes us want to dry camp at Area 33 over the weekend and eat lasagna.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
...The service staff also gave me a copy of a Technical Service Bulletin from Integrated Power Systems (IPS), Lifeline AGM battery builder, dated January 21, 2014 pertaining to "AGM batteries provided as original equipment in Airstream units." The bulletin was in response to dealer inquiries who wanted IPS to pay for batteries that needed to be replace. IPS took exception and told Airstream " It is important to note that suphation is not a manufacturing defect. Sulphation is strictly a condition of the battery not being adequately charged and maintained. This condition is not covered under the battery warranty." The bulletin essentially blames AS dealers for not properly maintaining the batteries during inventory storage periods and revisits steps dealers need to take once a coach arrives at the dealership... Let me know if anyone wants a pdf of this bulletin. I can forward. Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Please post a copy of this IPS service bulletin or send me a copy by private message.

Thanks,
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Hi Jeff,
Please post a copy of this IPS service bulletin or send me a copy by private message.

Thanks,
I'd like one too please, if none other than to ensure the dealer has it.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I'd like one too please. Having battery "issues." Thanks.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote