Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'd recommend something to keep the cat reasonably restrained. We were involved in an accident in the B190, with Snowball with us. The side window of the camper broke during the accident, meaning he could have jumped out on to the interstate at any time before we noticed it (probably 10 or 15 minutes). Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but after that we started keeping him in his carrier while traveling. For the truck, we bought a small dog cage that we keep behind the seat with a small litter box, food and water, and a bed for him to lay on. It works great, and I know even in an accident he won't go far, and if there's a broken window or something, he won't be able to escape.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Has anyone ever let their cats travel in the trailer? It sure seems like it would be nicer for them. They wouldn't get stuffed into a kennel and could roam around when the road is smooth. When we travel for long periods of time we keep a litter box, food and water in the truck and they use it all. But then we have to get them back in the kennel to be sure we won't loose them when we open the door. I keep thinking we should just leave them in the trailer?
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Has anyone ever let their cats travel in the trailer? It sure seems like it would be nicer for them. They wouldn't get stuffed into a kennel and could roam around when the road is smooth. When we travel for long periods of time we keep a litter box, food and water in the truck and they use it all. But then we have to get them back in the kennel to be sure we won't loose them when we open the door. I keep thinking we should just leave them in the trailer?
As a former cat owner, I asked a veterinarian friend about transporting small animals, and he recommended that they always be transported in a pet carrier. If you have to stop suddenly, pets don't stick to the floor like velcro; they go flying. Inside the carrier, if the carrier itself is restrained, there's a limit to how far they'll be thrown. It's like a pet version of a seat belt.

For this very reason, the pet carrier ought to be placed sideways in the vehicle or trailer (that way the short dimension of the carrier is in the direction of motion and the animal has less distance to be thrown inside the carrier), and the carrier should be wedged in solidly or strapped down securely.

My own preference would be to keep the pet in the vehicle with you, not in the trailer. If the pet is in the trailer, you have no way of knowing if it's in any distress until you stop the vehicle and go back to check on it. If it's in the vehicle with you, then you can tell if it's having a problem right away.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks, thats why we've always kept them, our two Bengals ( and our prior traveling cat) in the truck, but long trips seems particularly cruel to have them penned up. I would guess that they would wedge themselves under the bed if we left them in the trailer, but wouldn't know for sure. Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Thanks, thats why we've always kept them, our two Bengals ( and our prior traveling cat) in the truck, but long trips seems particularly cruel to have them penned up.
It's not cruel, as long as the carrier is the right size for the animals being transported, and you provide them with water, kitty litter, and bedding. If you give them a break from the carrier every time you take a break from driving, they should be fine. If it was me, I wouldn't put food in the carrier, I'd feed them when I stopped for a break.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We travel with the carrier on the seat and the cat comes and goes at will.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
I assume that means the seat of your tow vehicle? We let ours do the same while driving, they are in the back of the crew cab with all necessities of life, but then there is getting them back in and secure when we stop- for gas, for whatever reason. I know if one ever gets out of the truck we will spend at least one life time trying to catch him. Then there is carrying 33+ lbs. of cat from truck to trailer: so just was wondering and looking for an easier way if we decide to hit the road for 6 mo. or so. Is there anyone out there who lets there cats stay in trailer while moving? How is that any worse than loose in the truck?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I don't view riding in the trailer as an option. The ride is nowhere as nice as in the TV.

Brissy has been a full timer for almost two years now. She wears a harness and can walk on a leash. Most of the time she rides on her little bed between the front seats. Got a carrier but never use it.

We both like to keep the driving days under four hours or so.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	186212  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
There's just one thing to remember when traveling with animals.... if you are ever involved in a serious accident, your sweet beloved cat (or dog) will instantly become a flying object, and will likely hit the windshield before you do....and miss the airbags altogether. IMHO, keep your best friend secured in a carrier or a restraint of some sort to keep them safe. It's your responsibility. Would you do any less for your children???
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Another reason for not leaving the cat in the trailer: our trailer can get pretty hot during the day in summer. I'm much more comfortable keeping Snowball in the truck with us with the A/C. We got a remote start installed that will allow us to keep the truck running up to 20 minutes with the doors locked for those inevitable bathroom breaks.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We got a remote start installed that will allow us to keep the truck running up to 20 minutes with the doors locked for those inevitable bathroom breaks.
We use the remote start for occasional quick stops at fast food places. The truck is running and locked, but not moveable, so the cats are plenty safe. The remote start runs for 10 minutes and is extendable to 20 minutes which should be plenty of time to get our food and return to the truck.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you leave the cats in the trailer, you should stay with them to make sure they are ok.

If you don't want to ride in the trailer, why would they want to?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote