Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We do have a smart cat. He never goes on the dining table or kitchen counters and keeps either to himself in a safe place or lies on Barb's lap (when he's not outside killing). He is a very careful cat and has avoided cat fights for years now. I could probably train him if Barb didn't see him as a little human instead of a cat. She's trained me, but I'm not as stubborn as a cat. It is my fate to live with cats and it makes me a stronger man. I envy those who have easy going cats, but I never seem to have one. Out of necessity I have developed some expertise on cat personality, but it does me little good. It is always a woman who brings a cat into my life. I have not been able to give up on women and cats come with them. We tolerate each other and our cat is probably writing about me on a forum for cats who own people. I am sure he wonders why humans are so stupid they can't understand cat talk.

Gene

Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
C'mon Gene, don't write about cats if you're not a cat person.

Brissy has been traveling much of her life, mostly by sailboat. She now has her own land yacht and is doing just fine. She goes everywhere on her leash.

Cheers,
Steve.
Your cat looks a lot like our cat, Snowball, who travels with us. Here he is on our dinette table:

Of course he's not really allowed on the tables and counters, but you have to choose your battles - we keep him off when we're making and eating meals. He usually doesn't bother the rest of the time (no food there then).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our camping kitty rides with us in the Toyota Tundra Crewmax. We put food and water on the floor on one side and the litter box on the floor on the other side. We found out that our Aurora gets carsick if we travel before sunrise. She is fine during daylight hours. I think that it is because in the darkness she cannot correlate the motion with the scenery. In daylight, what she sees and the motion of the truck go together. She adds even more beauty to a beautiful trailer.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Our cat is 18 years old. Until our most recent trip she had never been farther than the vet's office, four blocks away. So, we took on our recent two week trip in advance of our fifteen week trip this summer/fall. She loved the trailer, basically going back and forth between food/water and our bed with an occasional stop at the litter box (under the dinette). Of course she uses a heating pad, so that certainly helped in keeping her on the bed.

The TV was a different story. While she remained fairly quiet, she was obviously antsy moving back and forth from my wife's lap to the second row of seats. We think we have come up with a solution for next time however. I converted the plug on my old Widder heated motorcycle vest to a standard 12 volt DC auto plug. We think that setting that up in the rear seat will grab her attention underway. Good luck. We wish we had been bringing her with us much earlier than now.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our cat is never on a leash. Once upon a time at Jeff Busby along the Natchez Trace here in Mississippi the camp host had 2 cats that followed him around like dogs- not on a leash.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

maybe it depends on the cat

It might be easier if the cat was introduced to travel from a young age. I know some cats that love to go camping.
A stray cat got locked in my trailer for a week, by accident. It took me a few days to get the cat out of the trailer. There was evidence of a struggle with mice, that didn't go well for the mice.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'd recommend something to keep the cat reasonably restrained. We were involved in an accident in the B190, with Snowball with us. The side window of the camper broke during the accident, meaning he could have jumped out on to the interstate at any time before we noticed it (probably 10 or 15 minutes). Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but after that we started keeping him in his carrier while traveling. For the truck, we bought a small dog cage that we keep behind the seat with a small litter box, food and water, and a bed for him to lay on. It works great, and I know even in an accident he won't go far, and if there's a broken window or something, he won't be able to escape.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Has anyone ever let their cats travel in the trailer? It sure seems like it would be nicer for them. They wouldn't get stuffed into a kennel and could roam around when the road is smooth. When we travel for long periods of time we keep a litter box, food and water in the truck and they use it all. But then we have to get them back in the kennel to be sure we won't loose them when we open the door. I keep thinking we should just leave them in the trailer?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Has anyone ever let their cats travel in the trailer? It sure seems like it would be nicer for them. They wouldn't get stuffed into a kennel and could roam around when the road is smooth. When we travel for long periods of time we keep a litter box, food and water in the truck and they use it all. But then we have to get them back in the kennel to be sure we won't loose them when we open the door. I keep thinking we should just leave them in the trailer?
As a former cat owner, I asked a veterinarian friend about transporting small animals, and he recommended that they always be transported in a pet carrier. If you have to stop suddenly, pets don't stick to the floor like velcro; they go flying. Inside the carrier, if the carrier itself is restrained, there's a limit to how far they'll be thrown. It's like a pet version of a seat belt.

For this very reason, the pet carrier ought to be placed sideways in the vehicle or trailer (that way the short dimension of the carrier is in the direction of motion and the animal has less distance to be thrown inside the carrier), and the carrier should be wedged in solidly or strapped down securely.

My own preference would be to keep the pet in the vehicle with you, not in the trailer. If the pet is in the trailer, you have no way of knowing if it's in any distress until you stop the vehicle and go back to check on it. If it's in the vehicle with you, then you can tell if it's having a problem right away.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks, thats why we've always kept them, our two Bengals ( and our prior traveling cat) in the truck, but long trips seems particularly cruel to have them penned up. I would guess that they would wedge themselves under the bed if we left them in the trailer, but wouldn't know for sure. Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
Thanks, thats why we've always kept them, our two Bengals ( and our prior traveling cat) in the truck, but long trips seems particularly cruel to have them penned up.
It's not cruel, as long as the carrier is the right size for the animals being transported, and you provide them with water, kitty litter, and bedding. If you give them a break from the carrier every time you take a break from driving, they should be fine. If it was me, I wouldn't put food in the carrier, I'd feed them when I stopped for a break.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We travel with the carrier on the seat and the cat comes and goes at will.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
I assume that means the seat of your tow vehicle? We let ours do the same while driving, they are in the back of the crew cab with all necessities of life, but then there is getting them back in and secure when we stop- for gas, for whatever reason. I know if one ever gets out of the truck we will spend at least one life time trying to catch him. Then there is carrying 33+ lbs. of cat from truck to trailer: so just was wondering and looking for an easier way if we decide to hit the road for 6 mo. or so. Is there anyone out there who lets there cats stay in trailer while moving? How is that any worse than loose in the truck?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I don't view riding in the trailer as an option. The ride is nowhere as nice as in the TV.

Brissy has been a full timer for almost two years now. She wears a harness and can walk on a leash. Most of the time she rides on her little bed between the front seats. Got a carrier but never use it.

We both like to keep the driving days under four hours or so.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	186212  

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote