Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Where do your pets ride

As you can see from my sig file, we travel with our pets. In the past when towing we have had all of them, except the cat, riding in the TV with us. The cat doesn't want to know how he gets there.

I am curious where your pets ride when traveling. This next year we will have a longer vacation, and I am contemplating letting three of the birds ride in the trailer with the cat. The fourth bird and the dog really enjoy the view, so they will remain in the TV.

___________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Our cocker spaniel rides in the rear seat of our crew cab between our two sons. He seems to get a little grumpy as I have heard growls come from back there as the ride grows long...actually, I think my 6 year old likes to tease him...I have told him time and time again he's gona get bit, and on the last trip he did, more than once and claimed he didn't do anything. Unfortunately, there is no other place for him to ride (the dog, not the son) and he loves camping so much, but I don't know what else to do with the kid except scold him and not the dog. I think the dog would be shell shocked if he road in the trailer when we reached the destination and, well it's illegal to put the kid back there!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Three birds and a cat riding back in the trailer alone???? Why doesn't this sound like such a good idea? My dogs ride up in the Toyota with us. It gets a little bumpy back in that trailer. What's you cat's name, "Lucky"?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Aww...yessss! Yet another vote for travel by motorhome. Our two dogs enjoy riding along. The oldest, a chocolate something climbs up onto the dog house (great name) so she can enjoy the view and a leg to rest her nose on.
The yellow something enjoys just curling up at the foot of the cockpit and waits for interesting stops and new places to pee.... he's all boy that dog.
As to cats and birds, if the birds are big enough the cat will know not to mess with them. My Macaw used to chase the cats... wings out, head down, beak open... hissing! Cats having infinite wisdom made lots of room for him.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Our Oakley rides on the front seat he likes to drive sometimes and Ms. Annie Mae the basset slumbers on the back seat, but she does like to have her paws over the seat looking out the front windshield. Gotta love our pets, ours always know they are going camping when we start to hook up the trailer.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Birds v Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Three birds and a cat riding back in the trailer alone???? Why doesn't this sound like such a good idea? My dogs ride up in the Toyota with us. It gets a little bumpy back in that trailer. What's you cat's name, "Lucky"?
The cat makes himself at home, and is relaxed when we arrive. He hates traveling in the Excursion, and his discharges are a testament to that. He is somewhat intimidated by the birds, and ignores them as only a cat can do. The birds on the other hand enjoy biting the cat's tail when they get the chance.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Both of our Miniture Poodles like to ride in the front seat of the truck with us.Once we hit the side roads they compete for the passenger side window

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We had a DYH Amazon parrot, and once while we were at work she got loose and trashed the house. Came home to find her sleeping on the back of the rocking chair and had to search a while to find the cat hiding under the bed. Don't know exactly what went on that day, but the cat ran away and hid whenever the bird flapped her wings from then on!

Our critters all ride in the TV with us.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We took out the third row seat from the Expedition and kept Baron behind the second seat. He had plenty of room and his own door. Now with the Suburban we again removed the third row seats but now we have 2 dogs, so Orie went in the crate, (since puppies love to jump and fall all over, including onto my arms and lap when driving,) and Baron's "snoozy bed" went right along the side of it.

BTW, what does everyone use on their interior vinyl to remove toxic doggie drool? It seems to have an inherent quality to reappear after the cleaning product is dry and put back away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theboys.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	26779  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The Gracie and Smokie (Avatar Dogs) ride in the back seat of the Tundra. They both wind up with their heads on top of the console between the seats and asleep after the first 30 miles. Bandit rides on my wife's lap most of the time. Bandit is 14 years old, totally deaf, 15 lbs and the boss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bandit.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	26780  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My current cat doesn't travel...too much of a home body I reckon My last cat traveled in the truck cab with me. I put a crate on the floor, but she would also ride on the console. My last dog rode in the cab period, he would usually lay across the bench seat with his head on my leg. (long haired dacshund/border collie cross ) Best dog ever RIP. Curently no traveling pets unless you count the box turtle that I picked up a while back and let go

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Doggie Tow Vehicle

Baity rides in the back seat of the F-150 and F-350. He rides in the camper shell covered bed of the F-250.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Our dog has a crate under the dinette in the MH. He rides in there when we are underway. The crate is small enough to fit under the dinette crosswise but still leave room to 2 to sit comfortably at the dinette!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
travelling Cody style

Our dog Cody rides in his kennel in the camper shell of our Dodge Ram 4x4..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Benny the Beagle and Komaya the furball [Silkie Terrier, Maltese mix] road in the back seat of the Navigator. I took the third row seat out to carry stuff and covered the rear seat with mover's blankets. Benny and Komaya went to Doggie Heaven. We are now petless.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The cats are very uppity. They refuse to ride in the tow vehicle with the likes of a dog. They are much more comfortable riding in the Airstream where they can watch DVD's.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Cady rides in the van with us. Doesn't seem safe to let them stay in the trailer.

But at the region 1 rally, one trailer had a great dane, a bird, and a cat. Another had a turtle. So I'm sure you will figure out a way to transport your whole family.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Our dog really loves to see where we are going, and we would never consider asking her to give that up. The cat has always preferred riding in the trailer, and can always find a cubby hole to ride in and nap.

Our Nanday Conor is too high strung to see the "wild" flying by through the window to let anyone enjoy the ride, so he's been covered while in the TV. Allowing him to ride in the trailer would ease his stress and ours.

The female Eclectus is just ambivalent. We're pretty sure she was a cat in her past life. Letting her ride in the trailer wouldn't alter her attitude.

Now, the Blue & Gold Macaw is a question. He watches everything that goes by him when riding in the TV. He has only made 2 short trips with us so far, and has behaved remarkably. His cage is large and bulky to handle. I'm going to see if he likes riding in the trailer when we are going on a long trip. If he doesn't, everyone for miles will know his displeasure.

Letting our pets ride in the trailer is only a consideration when the temps are 85* or less. We have a 10v fan that we plug in for circulation. I don't think the trailer is any more bumpy than riding in the rear of the Excursion over the air springs. Nor do I feel that it is less safe than being in the TV. [We never travel with the propane on.]

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, and for sharing their pet tales.

__________Tom

Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Our great dane rides in the back of the pickup (which has a cap). We have a sliding window on the cap and the truck so we can check on him and/or let him stick his head into the cab. He has a cot to sleep on. He is rarely up and walking about. He just naps while we ride. The pickup is not as comfortable as the Suburban, where our danes have enjoyed air conditioning. But unfortunately the Suburban has too short wheel base for decent towing and you cannot get the Allison.

Our bird (triton cockatoo) sits in her travel cage in the back of the pickup. The cat usually travels in the cab, when he comes with us.
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
But at the region 1 rally, one trailer had a great dane, a bird, and a cat.
Ah yes, that is our pet crew. My wife took the Suburban and our 64 to Region 1 while I was off with the kids to Alaska, without any pets. All the pets rode in the Suburban.
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote