Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
Big deal.

My dog backs up the trailer.
Ha, typical border collie. Where's that lightbulb joke

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #42
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I got one of these for the rear seat of the Tundra. Our two large dogs seem to like it. It also keeps the dog hair under control.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oh I love that thing! We travel with three small dogs and it would be wonderful to be able to protect the seats a bit more than we do with a fleece throw. It also looks like it would deter them from wanting to come up into the front of the cab. Where can we get one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie and Lucy #1 .jpg
Views:	296
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	50341  
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Back seat protector

Richard, I found the one you have pictured as well as a few other versions on www.hunterk9.com. Thanks for the idea.
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Our boy Angus

Angus, his 3 bird buddies, and dog have all traveled inside the Excursion. Our cat just wants inside the trailer, and has protested trips in the Escursion rather smellingly.

This next season I'm going to try letting all but one bird and the dog travel in the trailer weather permitting. The birds will be in their cages and on the floor. The dog and one bird really enjoy riding with us. The bird looks out the window at the view, and says "Wow, careful." whenever a semi zooms past us. The dog just looks and yawns.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Greg made a fleece cover similar to the one Richard has...but we use it with the back seats down in the Tacoma...which creates a nice flat platform...he put pockets on the coverlet that fit over the back seat headrests in the stored position (just behind the front seats) to help keep the coverlet in place and protect the seats from dog slobber...then he made a cushion/mini-mattress covered in vinyl that has a fleece slip cover...and this sits in the "valley" of the whole thing. We put harnesses on the 2 dogs and tether them to hooks on the back of the truck cab (where the back of the back seat normally attaches) with 16" industrial rubber bungee cords (not as stretchy as a regular bungees). This keeps them in the back seat and also prevents them from becoming projectile puppies if we have to stop suddenly. They are as snug as a bugs in rugs in their little soft caccoon when we travel...and the cushion elevates them so they (cockers) are high enough to look out the windows and keep an eye on things.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Our extended family, Ms Oreo & Wanda, ride with us in the TV. For their protection we keep them in seperate pet carriers. Ms Oreo is a veteran traveler having 12,000 miles experience. Ms Wanda still gets real nervous in her carrier. We're hoping that she will improve because we will be heading out again next year for 3 months. Oh, Oreo & Wanda are cats. Would have attached photo's but couldn't figure it out.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Stream, I had a B+G named Simon, she liked David Bowie and to sing along with him. We drove all over NoCal together in my 69 VW.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
For the cat owners - we'd like to try traveling with our cat, and wonder about the logistics. I wouldn't mind having the cat loose in the TV, with a litter box set up in back, but when you make a rest stop, do you put put him in the carrier? Moving to the trailer once stopped, I'm worried about him getting out. We have an older dog who needs to get outside frequently. Maybe a harness and snap on a leash when the door is going to be opened. Just wondering how others do it, in case I'm missing some obvious solutions.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
JanetB We have 3 small dogs also, they are seasoned travelers,we take them with us from Ohio to Michigan regulary. Have U ever had a problem with a campground that specifies 2 dogs only and have u had problems getting them in with U? Oh I forgot to add this is our first year with the AS so it presents a new problem possibley.Oh Our dogs always ride the TV. We have a crewcab so its no problem.
Thanks
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Roger, we've never had a problem with the "2 dog" rule, in either the state park (CA and OR so far) or private campgrounds. I think the fact that they're small helps, as well as the fact that we all put on our best meek and well-behaved faces.
Would love to see some photos of your pals.
Have fun!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 AM   #52
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have 3, 2 big (see avatar) and 1 small. It has never been a problem for us. I was asked once and said that Bandit was a cat. The ranger smiled and left.
BTW, Bandit had her 16th birthday this last weekend...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bandit.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	58342  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
BTW, Bandit had her 16th birthday this last weekend...
Wow, 16th - Happy Birthday to Bandit! Must be all those camping trips that keep her young and healthy...!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Mr Tay, our toy poodle rides only on my wifes lap. She is daily worried about blood clots as she is not allowed to move or he growls. It is truly a sad situation and I know she is destined for the hospital with some sort of deep vein thrombosis. Our only savior is the baby aspirin at her side.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus
For the cat owners - we'd like to try traveling with our cat, and wonder about the logistics. I wouldn't mind having the cat loose in the TV, with a litter box set up in back, but when you make a rest stop, do you put put him in the carrier? Moving to the trailer once stopped, I'm worried about him getting out. We have an older dog who needs to get outside frequently. Maybe a harness and snap on a leash when the door is going to be opened. Just wondering how others do it, in case I'm missing some obvious solutions.
Robert, our cat has traveled with us since he was a kitten, and does well. He does not like the ride in the TV from the house to hook up the trailer at all. Hooked up he will ride in the trailer where he has room to roam, his box, food and water. In hot weather, 90+ he rides in the TV. Camping he always wears a harness, and we have a leash that's tied to a brick that we leash him to when we are loading/unloading the trailer, and when he wants to come outside.

I just got back from a two week trip, and he did just fine. Try your cat out on a short trip first to see how your cat will do. Some will adapt, and some just don't like to travel. Good luck.

_____Tom

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Traveling and Pet Safety

There are many safety reasons why our Corgi, Mac, and our Pug, Pau Hoa, always travel in carriers strapped to the crew cab on the back seat of our F-250 truck.

See them listed in my column, History Safari Express on the Airstream Life Online Community.

Happy and Safe Traveling!

Cheers!

SilverGate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM2559.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	60061   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2562.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	60062  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Buddy, our wonderful Border Collie we rescued from the sandy desert of Odessa, TX, rides in the front seat of our F-250 PSD with his chin on my thigh. Took him years to decide going on trips with us could be a good thing, but now we can't leave without him.

He gives us such complete & unconditional love.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
hyannis , Massachusetts
My parrot (Eddy) rides on the seat, on my shoulder, on the dash,in the back, or wherever he wants to. Hes 26 and has alot to say! Its not all that nice, Thats what we love about him!!!!
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Like SilverGate's pets, because of safety reasons Ms. Lulu Sugarfoot rides in a crate on the back cab floor of the Titan. When the back seats are flipped up, there is plenty of room for a large crate. It can be secured to prevent it from rolling around the cab in the event of an accident.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher
My parrot (Eddy) rides on the seat, on my shoulder, on the dash,in the back, or wherever he wants to. Hes 26 and has alot to say! Its not all that nice, Thats what we love about him!!!!
I bet he does speak his mind! Our male Eclectus really enjoys riding and seeing what's going on. He, too, gives a running commentary. The Macaw is curious, but that's about it. I don't think I'd let the Macaw out of the cage in the vehicle - just too much chewing going on. Maybe when he gets through his teen years he will be calm enough to do that, he'll be 4 this summer.

On my last trip I left the Macaw and the Conor in the trailer with the cat; with their cages on the floor. On each leg of the trip that they road back there I had one stop to make sure the trailer was cool enough, and see how they were. Walking back to the trailer I could hear the Macaw playing with his toys, so I knew he wasn't stressed - when he is stressed everyone nearby hears his complaints. The Conor was covered, and content being that way.

_______Tom