Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Where do you keep their water bowl?

We're traveling with 2 labs and wonder what others with big dogs do about keeping the water bowl accessible for them but out of the way for us (when you're all inside). I tried by the door thinking the entry mat would help keep water contained but 1) it didn't and 2) one managed to step in it trying to get out. The biggest one creates about a 2 foot wide by 8 inch high splash zone when she drinks ...sigh. I'm thinking about trying to leave it in the shower but can't do that till I make other arrangements for the shower door. Where do you keep yours?

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
I couldn't help but laugh when picturing that big Lab slurping water! Our 55 pound fur ball isn't so dainty around the water trough either. We placed her bowls in a plastic cake pan container that sits in front of the fridge. For the most part it is out of the way and collects most of the spills. I suspect your labs need a larger bowl than what we use, however.

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
First of all we're traveling with one small dog, just under 20 pound Westie but he can really toss the water around when he drinks.

We put a couple of water resistant place mats under his bowl which is in a corner under the pull out pantry shelves (in our A/S a pull out microwave). Even with that we keep a separate towel for mopping up around that area at least 10 times a day.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
They all slurp and splash, even our little one. We keep his bowl in a little area under the left dinette seat in a plastic dishbowl. This keeps it out of the way and catches most of the slurps and Vern seems to like the arrangement.

Dan
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I kept mine just beside the front door. I also have two labs and was simply resigned to the fact that I would have to wipe up after them quite regularly. I didn't find it all that big a problem.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
In the Great White North, there are available "pant saver" style floor mats for your auto, that retain the water, and can be dumped. Keep it by the door.

http://i1-store.walmart.ca/images/WM...nlarged_1.jpeg

Also, a rubber boot tray is quit common in the NW and would work to contain the water.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/webapp...rceCode=BDSBT1
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Most of the time we keep the bowl outside. Our little scottie has quite the beard that absorbs huge amounts of water that he drips everywhere. I tried putting a towel under the bowl, but no matter how big the towel, he still manages to spread the water around.

I have been wondering about getting one of those puppy bottles that they lick for inside. You often see them hanging upside down in a crate.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
My son discovered that if he puts the water dish for his 2 big mutts about 18 inches off the ground the dogs do not dribble water all over the floor. He put the dish in a plant stand to get it up off the floor. This is in his house but it may be of some help.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
We have a Shih tzu, purchased from a lady who has show dogs. When the litter was born, she had them in a crate (with the mom) and they learned from their mom, to drink from a water bottle to keep their beard and mouth, clean, etc.
Although we don't do the "show dog thing", he always drank from a bottle (doesn't know any difference) and doesn't spill any. I don't know if this might be of interest with other dogs, however, it works well with our situation. We strap it to the dinette table legs, with a drip mat below, just in case. No water bowl to contend with.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_t View Post
We're traveling with 2 labs and wonder what others with big dogs do about keeping the water bowl accessible for them but out of the way for us (when you're all inside). I tried by the door thinking the entry mat would help keep water contained but 1) it didn't and 2) one managed to step in it trying to get out. The biggest one creates about a 2 foot wide by 8 inch high splash zone when she drinks ...sigh. I'm thinking about trying to leave it in the shower but can't do that till I make other arrangements for the shower door. Where do you keep yours?

In the shower, food & water. We use a stopper for the drain, "Fado's" a sloppy eater, swollen kibble could be big trouble.

We do have the roll-up door though.

Bob
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
crystal lake , Illinois
We have three giant breeds, and one of them a Newfie and she makes a HUGE slobbery mess. I always put a towel or mat under the bowl and put it in the corner by the sink/stove. And, just keep cleaning it up. We only have it inside at night though, as we stay outside during the day for the most part. Good luck!
Doglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Lixit Waterboy

We use a Lixit Waterboy...one in the house at home and one in the trailler... It's 12" x 8" x 3" and hold 3 quarts of water... It's designed to not spill or slop (even in motion while towing or in the truck) and you can pick it up and move it without spillage. The "bowl" part is large enough for most dogs and helps keep down the drizzles (we have a schnauzer with a beard and a cocker ... her ears can't get in the water)...we keep it by the magazine rack near the door in our Bambi... It's about $11 on Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Waterboy.../dp/B0006BB78W and about $10 at Jeffers Pet The Waterboy
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have two retrievers. We make water available outside for the most part. At night, we keep a small amount in their bowl near the door. Liking the Waterboy idea.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Funny you should ask. We have 3 Standard Poodles, the RASTAPOODLEs. We got our Airstream floorplan, no dinett, because of them. We have lots of floor space.
We have never had water for them inside. We spend most of our time outside, weather permitting. But just last week we pulled the shower door out. It was the Classic, 2004 GOLD, like all the hinges and drawer and cabinet handles, actually, all the trim. I hated it, but that is another thread.

We were going to install a new shower door but decided on a shower curtain, instead. So now, when we leave the girls in the Silver Annex while we're away, we will leave a waterbowl in the shower for them. We have not decided if the water will be on a stand or on the shower floor, but since our shower is inside the bathroom, we'll capture all/most of the splash and dribble inside that space.
That's the plan. We don't leave again for about a month, so by the time we get to AlumaFandango, we should know how it's working.
Imelda & John
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Whoa Terry! I'd never registered with the Lixit product before (not that I didn't miss it). Will keep my eyes open now.

Like masseyfarm notes, we use a rubber mat with raised edges. It fits a bit into the furnace fresh air intake recess under the roadside couch just forward of our rear dinette. Our RV dog dish has a top that curves back down into the water bowl and thus returns splashes back to the bowl.

An airedale's beard will broadcast maximum water of course and defeat the best intentions of mere mortals.

No pictures until we begin preparing for a trip slated a couple weeks away... sorry.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Our Giant Schnauzer (88 lbs.) has a plastic stand for the 2 bowls and raises the bowls about 8". This goes in the shower. The little 10 lb. one also uses a small metal 2 bowl holder that goes in front of the ref.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Try a no spill bowl with a smaller opening for them to lap the water.

Mary in CT

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #18

2009 30' FB Classic
Sequim , Washington
We have a male, cocker of about 25 pounds, a female "Arkansas Sheepdog" about 35 pounds and a "Dungeness Malamute" hitting about 100 pounds. We have a "spongy" pad about 18" by "34" that we put beside the pantry/oven area. It fits well in the little niche and they all seem to be able to take turns and it is easily refilled as the kitchen sink is so close. Actually when we first come in from a long walk I will often fill up all three of their bowls with water and let them drink some water. We do have to watch out as the Malamute will just keep drinking until he makes himself sick. They all have a place to sleep as well. The cocker underneath the table, the sheep dog beside the bed (we have the king size bed but there is still room for her and the Malamute "where ever he wants". They do well!
DLWhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily has a double bowl for water and food, kept near the door on a folded hand towel to absorb water slops from her or from travel movement.

Towel is hung to dry when we are parked for a day or two, and washed weekly.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The hinge side of the front door. That helps avoid anyone stepping in it.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote