Old 01-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
However - for our first big trip this winter we will be leaving them at home with Nana and Grandpaw. We hope to get in some great Kayaking, cycling and golf while in Florida - and while they are great on our paddleboat - they don't do so well in the Kayak, or on the golfcourse and have not learned to ride a bike yet

Well plans have changed since we wrote this - guess who is coming on vacation with us!!!

Going for three weeks - and it is a bit much for our parents now to look after the girls for that long - We are lucky that they come to our place for an overnight!!! (So sad to see age creep up in just a year!)

Kennels are OUT! Too expensive and we have not found one that we trust. Besides no matter how good they are Taz would be beside herself with us gone that long - was even worried about leaving her with Mom and Dad.

So our whole vacation approach has now changed - the kayaks are being left at home, along with the golf clubs (okay maybe we will put in a combo set- just in case we find a Dog Sitter Service down in Florida somewhere near Sarasota).

We will be stocking up on the tennis balls, bones and frisbees instead - make room for the dog food and linens will change to the dog throws - invest in a good mini vacuum and nice smellies

So now we are on the hunt for Dog Friendly beaches and parks - where we can let the girls off lead for about 1/2 hour a day or so or somewhere they can swim to get their exercise in.

We have no idea where to go at this point after the Florida Rally - but figure we will try and find a few places close to Dog Friendly areas - so I guess you can call this a Pouch Vacation - what a better kind - not into all those "tourisity" things anyway (not yet at least) Just want some R&R and some fun places to take the dogs for walks and enjoy the nature (where they won't get eaten by Gators!)

Any and all ideas would be very much appreciated.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

we don't travel with a dog. Just a huge siamese cat who may think he is a dog. He sleeps in the bed under the cover with me. Unless he gets too hot then he will be pushed out and he will go lay on my husband.
Last summer one of the campers in the RV Park we stay at (Lastresortrv.com) had two huge male labs with him. They slept in the camper park of his truck and he had two large crates for them to sleep in on nights that wasn't too cold.
I watched his dogs for several days while he went off on a business trip. I have to say they were the two best behaved dogs I have ever been around. I let them out several times a day and played kick ball and threw sticks for them. They obeyed every command I gave them. hopefully someday we will get another lab.

gryphon

WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

skunked !!!!

My longhaired border collie collided with a skunk this weekend...and had to be bathed before she could sleep in the AS...I still have to keep the windows open...It never quite goes away completely...even after 2 tomato juice baths and Fabreeze..It's not always easy sharing your space with a dog....
Old 01-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerbunny
My longhaired border collie collided with a skunk this weekend...and had to be bathed before she could sleep in the AS...I still have to keep the windows open...It never quite goes away completely...even after 2 tomato juice baths and Fabreeze..It's not always easy sharing your space with a dog....

I suppose they could say the same about our "perfumes" they sneeze and rub their noses! but take them for a walk in the bush and every "skat" under the sun is sampled around the neck!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
it lasts a long time

Buy some skunk off at the pet shop and keep shampooing. It was a year before Baron didn't have at least a trace of smell on him when he would get wet and he only got sprayed on his head mostly, poor dog's eyes swelled shut too. That was one mean "kitty."

Quote:

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Hair cut time. It's the only way to get all of the skunkl off. Cut off everything but the tail feathers and bath her again. One of my standard poodles got it in the head and it was the only thing that worked. It will be a good chance to treat any skin problems also. And don't laugh at her even a little.

The first summer in the Caravel (17foot) we had two adults and two standard poodles. Last one to bed didn't fair well. One adult on the coach. One adult and two poodles on the dinette bed. You haven't lived until you tried this and had the alpha female come unglued in the middle of the night because someone got into her space. Those who breed dogs call them bitches in a matter of fact way.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Those Russells ALWAYS have to sleep with the people they own.

My Dilly Demento Dawg (also a Russell) sleeps on my pillow, while I'm in the bed. She kicks me out at least twice a night. She also snores.

She doesn't do the potty when she should, it's usually about three in the morning when she forces me to go out raiding other people's campfires. So far, we've only returned with stuff like burned corn and old steak bones. I'm trying to teach her to grab better stuff.. like Margarita mix.
She does love to sit underneath a potluck, though :-)

She also doesn't walk.. we do the carry.
Me, her.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

'68 Overlander 26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Rita
Think like a dog. Dogs can't think like people. A safe place may mean a portable kennel tucked secured to the bed of your tow vehicle.
my one year old loves hers. pack life can get iffy if you not alpha.
I agree -travel with a crate!
Of course, our pickup bed becomes a crate for our 2 White Shepherds in addition to the foldable wire one we can assemble.
I like the idea of the bed in the bathroom, too, for inside.
We have a twin plan and what works for sleeping is Jasper on the floor in living room, us in the twins, and Luna aft.
Inside we "assign" sleeping spots to our canine companions.
Think DOG!
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Keep the tub. Put a soft cushioned dog bed in the tub. Maybe your new dog will need a bath?
I think I am gonna try that with my Miniature Schnauzer and my Standard Schnauzer.
Good idea!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:31 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

We have 2 Boxers and they sleep on the front dinette. I agree with the others that the crate works very well .
Old 04-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #25
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I think I am gonna try that with my Miniature Schnauzer and my Standard Schnauzer.
Good idea!
Why would you get a standard and a minature? Which one did you get first? Does the minature need therapy? How would you feel if there was a 12 ft tall copy of yourself living in the house?

Are they named Dr. Evil and Mini-me?

Hey, you should meet up with Corky at Inland RV, he's a Schnauzer too! He's aluminum colored.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
the dawgs

We'll be finding out EXACTLY where the dogs sleep.. we're going to a forest preserve tonight and tomorrow, with our first dog, Dilly, a seasoned camper but lives in the human bed, and our new dog, Dephne.

Wish us LUCK.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #27
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We travel with two dogs and a cat in our 19' Bambi. Things are a little cozy at night but we manage. One of the dogs and the cat end up on the bed. The other dog sleps in front of the bathroom door -- makes it interesting when you need to get in there at night. We also keep our cat box and cat food in the bath area. However, the cat had a tough time getting in when the big dog was in front of the door. Our solution -- we added a "cat door" through the wall from the head of the bed into the shower area -- she loves it!
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We took our dalmation, Spot for his first camp out in our motorhome. He spent several restless hours before eventually settling down on my driver's seat. He had to move aside a pillow to clear a space for himself but he managed to get comfortable. Now, on every trip that is his space whether we are sleeping or just stopping for a rest. I get up and he takes over.