Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to millcreek08
Question What's a Dog to Do???

We are just beginning our AS experiences. As we read some of the forums and guides, many people travel with their pets but I haven't seen discussions about how everyone deals with those times that the pets cannot accompany you.
I'm looking for any experiences with managing pets when visiting areas of interest such as historic or geographical sites that may take all day to see.
Many campgrounds allow pets but note that they cannot be left unattended. I assume that means in your AS while you are gone and I can understand that especially with barking, etc. Is this generally enforced?
We can certainly leave (weather permitting) the dog in the running SUV for a couple of hours (although sometimes people complain and in some states a diesel cannot idle more than 5 minutes) but for the whole day, I can only think of using a local kennel.
Please share your comments, successes and any resources that we should search for while planning a trip.
Thanks and happy travels.

Ken
millcreek08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Great topic, I have one question - How big of an animal are you talking about? It really does not matter but just for information.

We have traveled with both our "house dog" Daisy who is no problem at all at <10lbs and our "pack" of labs (2) who are >70lbs each. Daisy does well in the trailer with the AC on but only for quick trips to the store. We have a talk with the campground personnel and make sure they know an animal is in the trailer. The boys have stayed in a kennel at a local vet before while we were out touring and the cost was next to nothing - something like $20 for both for 9 hours which included food and water. When we camp with the big boys the trip is planned to stay at the campground with them. If not then we leave them at home where they are more comfortable and cared for by a neighbor.

We have left Daisy in the truck in the winter with plenty of blankets to wrap up in but the outside temps never were below freezing and the windows were open about a quarter inch. She was fine.

There are alot of feelings about the way dogs and other animals are kept while camping. I have fed animals in campgrounds that were chained up all day without food and filled more than a few dumped over water bowls. There should be stricter enforcement of animal rights laws.

BTW - if you go to Disney - they have the best kennels I have ever seen and the cost is next to nothing.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
our fur babies

We camp with our pair of Jack Russells and the BIGGEST problem I see is OTHER people who let their untrained dogs run on to US.

Our deaf Jack, Dephne, has NO patience for that at all and she THINKS she is a Rottie. More than one little terrier has gotten hurt due to grandiose dreams.

I kennel our elderly Rat terrier at the vet's, but I have left the girls in the truck as well as the trailer when we go inside somewhere. It's really best to let someone know you have critters inside.. as you do.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Good question. I was just wondering what we would do with our lab that doesn't bark but likes to talk allot. I am not sure I would feel comfortable having him with us even if we stayed at the camper the whole time. I am interested to see what others do.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've always had good luck with the dogs when camping. When we are on the road, we will stop at a rest stop to eat or at a fast food chain where I'll do a carry out. We do leave them in the trailer when visiting the local area. In most cases we will close up the trailer and run the AC so they can't hear what's going on outside. Obviously we have the fantastic fans set so if there would be a power failure the fans will run off the batteries to keep things tolerable. In all our years of camping and taking dogs, I've not had an issue where we lost power where their health or safety could be of a concern.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Ken. We travel with two dogs everywhere but have to manage choices for what we do. I've shut the trailer up and turned on the A/C to cover any possible noise from the dogs. I've read posts about scrooge private campgrounds that might pull the breaker at the pillar when campers leave with the A/C running -- but there was a plain announcement about this at check-in -- never had that problem in a state park. Some nat'l parks don't allow dogs on trails; eg, Zion. Otherwise I'm lucky that a lot of our north country campsites are shaded, temps might be moderate, and I can shut the dogs inside with the windows shut. I turn up the cushions and block off seats so they can't get up to the windows to bark. Sometimes these measures just won't work and we'll modify our activities accordingly.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to millcreek08
clancy_boy .... Our dog is 60 lb black lab who is not a barker unless someone approaches the front door and/or rings the bell. I'm sure they will not open the door when they hear the "big dog bark"!
Thanks for the feedback

Ken
millcreek08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This topic has been a problem for us while camping since we started. We don't have AC, but temps tend to be mild around here. We will leave the dog in the trailer for short trips, and I'm confident she won't bark and annoy anyone. Sometimes we'd take them with us and leave them in the van if it was visible from where we were going (otherwise I worry about her the whole time). I've never tried a kennel but I have heard there are some very good ones, and I think that would be a thing to try someday. But mostly we leave them home safe with a petsitter if we know we're going to be doing a lot of things the dogs can't accompany us to.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by millcreek08
clancy_boy .... Our dog is 60 lb black lab who is not a barker unless someone approaches the front door and/or rings the bell. I'm sure they will not open the door when they hear the "big dog bark"!
Thanks for the feedback

Ken
Clancy Boy IS my labs name - that should tell you how much I think of him. He is 12 now and very difficult to travel with - THINK GRUMPY OLD MAN. Along with Boudreaux, our lab mix - it has been 12 great years. I'm afraid that if you came to our front door and we were not there that Clancy would open the door and invite you in. He is way to friendly.

I once told a vet aid early on when we traveled not to let him see you operate the chain link gate latch as he would "learn" to open it. Well, that weekend he opened the gate and he and Boudreaux spent the night on the much more comfortable waiting room couch and helped themselves to the treat bowl. Labs - gotta love'em.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Don't know if we'll be able to take it

We went to Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and Monument Valley. Our dogs weren't welcome in any of them on the trails. We did leave them for a bit in the camper - even though the rules said not to... they don't bark so no one probably knew.
We're going to Yellowstone this summer and will leave the dogs at home. Our dogs have always gone with us. (Two dogs are worth a gun in any fight). We have a Great Dane and two Aussies. If we find traveling without the dogs isn't for us, we'll customize our trips to include the dogs in future

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

It's a problem for me

Layla, our Pomeranian, tore up my curtain trying to look out the window.
So, sometimes I leave her in the van when the sun is down. But if one of her
human friends is around, she prefers to hang with them.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
We have always camped with our dogs. That is one of the joys of camping for us. I always get a bead on nearby vets and kennels before we leave for our trip and print out the information to keep in the car with us, should we need it. A copy of their immunizations is always in the trailer. We are fortunate. They do not bark when in the trailer. We have tested this time and time again and the first thing we hear is a woofle when the key gets inserted in the door. I have sat for hours knitting or reading or fishing near our trailer, but not in our site and have not heard a word, even when other dogs walk by, or kids on bikes, which are things that they usually like to 'tell' us about! All that being said, we do plan trips around the dogs and rarely leave them for a whole day and the few times that we have, we are sure nto to do that more than once in a week, perhaps twice if pushed. We don't leave them in extreme heat, lest the power cut out for some reason.

Kat
corgikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by millcreek08
... I haven't seen discussions about how everyone deals with those times that the pets cannot accompany you.
hi millcreek'...

don't chase your tail,

here's 2 threads for u and the pooch...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ets-24608.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ogs-34831.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
_

. , .
more relevant dog tales...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...arm-13308.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ase-12630.html

lets not forget the cats...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ife-15555.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...tis-19778.html

or children and critters...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ids-21995.html

there are even threads on travel with fish, and birds and bunnies!

there is nothing funny OR unusual about rabbits in rvs, but fish and birds...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
I once told a vet aid early on when we traveled not to let him see you operate the chain link gate latch as he would "learn" to open it. Well, that weekend he opened the gate and he and Boudreaux spent the night on the much more comfortable waiting room couch and helped themselves to the treat bowl. Labs - gotta love'em.
I had to laugh at that one! I can picture it now... lounging around on the sofa, mixing cocktails, making themselves right at home...!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
PENSACOLA , Florida
We love camping with our dogs, they always love it when we start provisioning the Bambi. We have never had a bad experience at a park, but our 2 are well behaved. There have been times we have had to leave them in the trailer in mid summer Florida heat with the A/C running, while we were out. Often I make friends with the campground hosts and introduce them to our dogs, so when we do have to leave, I ask them if they could keep a watch on the trailer to make sure the A/C is still running while we are gone and to please call if there is a problem. If it is a campsite we return to often and I know the hosts I will leave my keys hidden for them in case of emergency. I have never run into someone not willing to help and just keep a eye on things. Although ... my mutts are very friendly and well behaved and We try and keep our non-dog excursions very short.
silverbambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We wouldn't go without our dogs. I bought a generator just for the A/C, just for the dogs.

Most folks do just fine with their dogs, but you do need a well behaved dog (whether you are camping or not!).
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Has anyone mentioned bringfido.com? Found some of my best doggie places there. People post about historical tours and places they've stayed- all of which allow dogs. It also gives you a good clue to which places when you travel are actually "dog Friendly" and which ones are only "dog tolerant." There is a bog difference for those of us who travel with our furry family members.
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
I will check that out Carmilla. Dogs are why we bought an AS. An airedale and a cavalier king charles. Our dogs do enjoy a great hotel however they like the privacy of their AS! They do well if we leave them. They just think they are home.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
As you can see, most folks don't have any dog problems. We have two standard Poodles who are excellant watch dogs but don't bark at passerbyes unless they intrude. While dogs are not welcome on the trails in some of the NP's mentioned, we spent time last summer in all of those parks and found if they were on leash there were areas where walking them was no problem.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote