Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Like many things- a few bad apple spoil the bunch. I think as long as you introduce your dogs to the campgound hosts, I like to put mine through a few cutsy tricks- and I always have little cat and dog gift bags on hand to give the hosts' pets (It's all in the PR) you'll be fine. I think I've said this on another post, but my 2 dogs are actually search and rescue dogs- so most people will give them a free pass- but I try not to abuse the privilage, I want people to WANT to be around my girls, not HAVE to. Most fellow airstreamers are very respectful of the other campers, and I think you'll find that if you pull up in an airstream with dogs, many campgrounds will anticipate you being a good reponsible owner instead of expecting the worst.
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Like others - we are fortunate - our dog is well-behaved. On hot days when we're away for say the afternoon or the evening she stays in the trailer with the AC on - for shorter excursions (say grocery shopping) she goes with us in the car - we will find a shady spot and leave the truck running with the AC on. For all day trips that aren't appropriate to bring her along we will board her out - but we have only done this a couple of times - we really don't like to do that if we can avoid it.

To change the subject a bit .....

Anyone else notice that there seems to be a direct correlation between the size of the RV and the size of the dog? .....

Seems to work out that the bigger the RV the smaller dog ..... those monster coaches all seem to have the tiniest of pooches .....

and, of course, the smaller the RV the bigger the dog ..... you just gotta love it when an Irish Wolfound comes out of a Bambi .....

..... Ripleys - believe it or not .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You're right Jay. I have two 75 pound Labradors and am thinking of downsizing from my Trade Wind to something smaller!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This is a great question. I want to get out more this summer, and take at least one dog with us (two of our dogs don't like riding in the car, so we might find friends to take them when we travel). But I wonder, if we go to Disneyland, where can the dog spend the day? If we go to Mt Rushmore, and want to go walk through the museum, what to do with the dog then? Our dog is well behaved, but he's just not welcome in some places, and it bothers me a lot. I don't like to leave him in the trailer because I worry about it being stolen (it's so small and cute). Certainly he has a great time at rallies and outdoorsy adventures, but when we have actual touristy sort of sites on our plans, it becomes a problem.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #25
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You're right Jay. I have two 75 pound Labradors and am thinking of downsizing from my Trade Wind to something smaller!
If this theory were correct.. then I'd need a bubble for our Great Dane/Blue Heeler combo..... I think we'll keep the current trailer for awhile....NO DOWNSIZING...

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
This is a great question. I want to get out more this summer, and take at least one dog with us (two of our dogs don't like riding in the car, so we might find friends to take them when we travel). But I wonder, if we go to Disneyland, where can the dog spend the day? If we go to Mt Rushmore, and want to go walk through the museum, what to do with the dog then? Our dog is well behaved, but he's just not welcome in some places, and it bothers me a lot. I don't like to leave him in the trailer because I worry about it being stolen (it's so small and cute). Certainly he has a great time at rallies and outdoorsy adventures, but when we have actual touristy sort of sites on our plans, it becomes a problem.
I thought I read somewhere that Disneyland has a doggy daycare. When you're traveling, could you find a day care near some of these sites and let the pup spend an afternoon at the 'spa'?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Disneyland has a doggy daycare. When you're traveling, could you find a day care near some of these sites and let the pup spend an afternoon at the 'spa'?
It's possible with searching the net I might be able to find a place with good reviews I could feel confident in, but I'm very wary about who I let take care of my pets. Years ago I unwittingly left my pup with a boarding place who's standards of care were well below what I expected, and I was horrified to see how they had taken care of her when I came to pick her up. I kicked myself over that for years. Luckily there has been a lot of growth in really good dog facilities the last few years, so I hope we could find something.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
If this theory were correct.. then I'd need a bubble for our Great Dane/Blue Heeler combo..... I think we'll keep the current trailer for awhile....NO DOWNSIZING...
.... well ..... I didn't say the theory was ironclad! .... but it does seem to happen often enough that we always get a heck of a chuckle when a Chihuahua comes out of a 45 foot coach .... (no disrespect to Chihuahua's or their fine owners!) .... but check it out ..... it happens more often than not!

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
With a 34' and 7 dogs - schnauzers - from a +110# Giant Schnauzer to a 10# toy - and they all go - and love the AS. They've 'kamped' since they were puppies. To them the trailer is 'home' - and can be anywhere. We do try to park a little away from areas where there are a lot of small humans - schnauzers always think they're being left out of the 'game' - and - we are vigilant about cleaning up after them and making sure they behave.

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We are new to traveling with pooches...so far we have only traveled with one. We either take her with us if we were going to be gone for more than an hour or two, but have left her behind in the trailer in her kennel if it was just a quick run to the store or something. We use a kennel sometimes at home, so she is used to it and as long as it's only for a couple of hours and the temperature cooperates, that'll work fine. Most friends we travel with also have dogs...so we're all in the same boat...sometimes somebody stays back and keeps an eye on them all, but usually we just bring them with us. They all get along great.

Now with two, we'll probably have to take both of their kennels and do the same. If we do plan on sightseeing in a place that doesn't allow dogs or if we are by ourselves, I sure hope they have a doggie day care nearby...they go to a doggie day care here at home (best money spent all week!) at least once a week, so I'm sure it would be just as enjoyable for them to do so while on the road...and we'll all sleep good those nights!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
It's possible with searching the net I might be able to find a place with good reviews I could feel confident in, but I'm very wary about who I let take care of my pets. Years ago I unwittingly left my pup with a boarding place who's standards of care were well below what I expected, and I was horrified to see how they had taken care of her when I came to pick her up. I kicked myself over that for years. Luckily there has been a lot of growth in really good dog facilities the last few years, so I hope we could find something.

I can certainly understand that. I can't bear the idea of boarding my 'kids' with anyone who I don't know. Hell, I won't even let my parents look after them!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
.... well ..... I didn't say the theory was ironclad! .... but it does seem to happen often enough that we always get a heck of a chuckle when a Chihuahua comes out of a 45 foot coach .... (no disrespect to Chihuahua's or their fine owners!) .... but check it out ..... it happens more often than not!

Jay

So true. Though whippets and greyhounds are my favorite breed, I have been considering a new sight-hounds: Borzoi or Scottish Deerhound. Regardless, my next dog will be from the pound - or possibly rescue (as in greyhound rescue). Two big ones would be fun in the Overlander. Thankfully, I am happy to give my pups the side bed and then collapse on the front couch myself. (sometimes I'm too lazy to pull the front gauch out to the bed).

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
With this discussion of the size of dog vs. the size of coach I guess our 28' Moho is somewhere in the middle size wise while our dog, a Great Dane, is on the large side. The only furniture he is allowed on is the gaucho and that is where he rides and sleeps. The only problem he has is when he ventures toward the rear of the coach he does have have to work a bit getting turned around between the beds to get back up front. He has to bend and scrunch up a bit but he does make it around. My concern is as he gets older will he be able to flex enough to make the turn.

We did have another Dane many years ago the got wedged in a couple of tight spots. Fortunately I was able to reach his tail and pull him out back wards. It took him two tries before he learned not to go in there.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
All said. If your dog is well trained and behaved you can take them everywhere! If I leave my dogs at home we have a great kennel. Webcams are on them . We can see the daily activity. Mealtimes, walks, cleaning their space. My dogs are happy there and it gives you great peace of mind. I always prefer taking them with me but I am so glad I have a good option .
However..... be prepared for things to happen on the road. In Oct. we took our dogs from Dallas to Niagara Falls , Canada. The first day there our airedale had emergency surgery. He ate something. $2000. later . It was a good thing we were in the AS. He felt safe and thinks he is home.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #35
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Better to be with you and have an emergency than have someone trying to find you.... at least that's what I think. My dogs think that the crates going into the truck is a great thing. Then again when we get there... the Great Dane sleeps at least 16 out of every 24 hours... and the heeler is too lame/old to care.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post

Jay
Just can't resist a response to this! Nowhere near 45' coach, but my 5 rather small Chihuahuas are going to have a pretty good sized "dog hotel" in "their" new/old 31' AS.

Last year, someone suggested skipping the "tent" for shade at trials and going straight to a van....skipped the tent, skipped the van and went to an Airstream. Yippee!
fab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab5 View Post
Just can't resist a response to this! Nowhere near 45' coach, but my 5 rather small Chihuahuas are going to have a pretty good sized "dog hotel" in "their" new/old 31' AS.

Last year, someone suggested skipping the "tent" for shade at trials and going straight to a van....skipped the tent, skipped the van and went to an Airstream. Yippee!
Well, you realize we're going to need to see pictures!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fort Lauderdale , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

If you can find one, try a Petsmart Pet hotel. Their facilities are very secure, locked doors going into all the different areas and they all communicate by walkie talkie when a door is going to be opened so they secure all the pups.

I was very nervous leaving my little boy (yorkie) as he had only ever stayed with"grandma" if he couldn't go with us. While in TX last year (3 months), we ended up going to Las Vegas w/o the tailer and stayed in a pet friendly hotel but you can't leave then in the room unattended so I reluctently found Petsmart Hotel and left him there overnight while we went to the strip. I couldn't wait to pick him up first thing the next day, 7am! But, he did very well and got a happy face on his report card! I would use them again in a pinch.
Khulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #39
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Campbowwow if you can find it one. We take both our dogs there and they love it.

TAC OK-42

]