Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Pete
Pam-Our doxie had Cushings for the last three (or so) years of her life. It can be very hard on the rugs and so forth because they are constantly thirsty and then forget to ask to be let outside. Our sweet old girl had everything go wrong towards the end, Cushings, bladder cancer, blindness, but she was a real trooper. We would find her faced into the corner of a room because she would get there and then forget how she got there, what she was doing there, and how to get back to her bed. But never a complaint. We finally sent her off to CatNip Heaven a few months ago, when the pain from the cancer was too much for her. She was an example to us all of bravery in the face of hardship.
Cathy
We had another blonde cocker (before our current Girls)...Porscha...who had Cushings...it's an unhappy end...we were able to control it for a long time but eventually she began to have seizures so we had to discontinue the medication. We kept her as comfortable as possible, and she was a happy old girl (13), really...she just wanted to be near us, that's all. Then one night late she went into a seizure and we couldn't get her out to snap out of it... we rushed her to our vet (who happens to be a 24-hour emergency clinic). They were not able to get her out of the seizure either...even with agressive IV medication...we had to let her got that very evening... So sad to have to let them go and to have to make the decision so suddenly...I still tear up when I think of her there in the vet's seizing and not knowing what was going on...at least we could be there with her as she found peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PorschaPic.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	49598  

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
newport news , Virginia
Can we go in the Airstream? Huh, can we? Please. We gonna go right?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp dudley small.bmp (900.1 KB, 77 views)

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #59
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
The Pets are not doing to bad either

I have to admit that even with a sick dog, and BTW he is having a run of good days so we are grateful, I feel pretty good that we have been good stewards in our pets lives. If I were a dog, I would want to be owned by me.

I think AS people make good pet owners, we seem to care about cool things.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #60
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
I just hear of a ear wash that is used for yeast infections and fungi infections in the ears. It is called K-Wash and has Ketaconozole in it. A friend's vet used it and cleared the infection right up. I wish this had been around when my Doberman was alive. She was plagued with ear infections!

There is also a shampoo that I have started using on my English Setter called Malaseb. It is for yeast conditions of the skin and is working wonderfully. You wash them twice a week until the skin is cleared up and then once a week or two weeks. She is the cleanest she has ever been!
Malaseb is the shampoo that we use on Sulley. We even take it to the groomer so she can use it when she bathes him before his hair cut. You may have noticed that he has short hair (puppy cut) when we were at the Falluminum a few weeks ago. That is to help keep things out of his fur and make it easier to brush the dander out. His hair used to be as long as TBRich's beautiful Porcha's in the photo above but it just got to be too much to handle. I have an ear wash that is the second kind the vet prescribed. I can't remember then name right off hand.

Our local vet has done many cultures from ear swabs and sometimes it is yeast and sometimes it is other types of infections. Before the ear ablation surgery, he had an ecoli infection that the vet felt he probably picked up on his foot outside and then scratched his ear. I think he took Ci-pro to clear up that one. However, it took several weeks to clear up.

I have become pretty good at recognizing ear infections at home and knowing when it is time to take him in for a check-up and culture. I am usually right when he has one and when it is something else.

I will say this, I am soooo glad we got pet insurance for him. I don't file claims as frequently as I should, but when I do I get a pretty good bit of what I've spent on medical bills back. I didn't buy the insurance with the intent of getting all of my money back but I just wanted money not to be a deciding factor in making medical decisions for him.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #61
Beneath the title

An update on the Border Collie

Well, it is nearly Christmas and I am grateful to report the dog is hanging in there. We decided to go for radiation. We live in Seattle and Wash State Vet School is 300 miles east, in Pullman. Anyway, they are the best around at treating this kind of thing. Chief got blocked up again and our local vet put a catheter in his bladder and said good luck. I drove Chief out to to WSU fully expecting them to do the ultrasound and say there is nothing more we can do but of course that is not what they said, what they said was: He actually looks pretty good from the Chemo, the only tumor causing problems is in his urethra. he is a really good candidate for radiation. We had to leave him there for nearly 10 days. He responded great. I was getting ready to make the snowy drive on Friday to get him and our vet called, said she lives in Seattle, would she like me to bring him back home for us, save us 600 miles of driving a hotel stay, lost sleep, lots of stress... "let me think about it for while...OK"

He is home, wagging his tail, and eating, and peeing and decorating our back yard with meadow muffins. We have him today and he still continues to give us oppurtunities to experience love and kindness from all kinds of people.

The moeny part is a little troubling, it has been expensive. We dont have kids and both make a decent wage, I hate to think what a $$$ struggling family would have to do as I know they would love their pets just the same. The funny part is, (I am in the Army) I just got a unexpected bonus. God said: "I am going to give John some money but I won't let him spend it on himself and I will see what he learns from the expereince"

That is what I think my God is saying anyway.

What have I learned? Most people are wonderful, just look past all the business.

Thanks for listening.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 12-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Great news John! It sounds like Chief is one lucky dog to have you to look after him. You also got to spend some time at my Alma Mater. I hope you enjoyed your time in Pullman, despite the circumstances of your visit. I look forward to continued good news about Chief. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Great news about the Chief! That's a great Christmas present for you!

Have a warm one...
TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
He is home, wagging his tail, and eating, and peeing and decorating our back yard with meadow muffins. We have him today and he still continues to give us oppurtunities to experience love and kindness from all kinds of people.
How wonderful!

I'm certain it was the chicken he made you grill for him.

Enjoy the holidays
Old 12-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #65

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
John, that is wonderful news! There's nothing you can do except what feels right to you. I know we both felt it was worth taking on the debt to get Alki the treatment she needed, we couldn't have lived with ourselves knowing there was more we could do and hadn't done it, and we've been rewarded with more time for her. I guess fate sent us a 'bonus' too in the form of a very busy Christmas season for our business, which has made a dent in paying off those bills we accumulated this summer. Everything works out in the end. I hope Chief recovers as quickly from the radiation treatment as Alki has!

The other 'Christmas surprise' we're waiting on is we applied to a local rescue for a new buddy. We'll see how that works out, probably after the holidays. I'm not sure if Alki will like the idea or not. I'm sure Chester the Dalmatian will like having someone else to wrestle with!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Man plans and God laughs.

I was laid off from my job six months ago and wondered how my husband and I would manage on half our former income. My dog's illness has cost more than $13000 for MRIs, CT scans, surgery, radiation and gas for the car to get him to treatment (at 30 bucks a day for 20 days it starts to add up!)

Well if I still had that miserable job, I would not have had the time to take my dog to his treatments, nor would I have been able to help my parents. My mother needed open heart surgery at the same time my dog was wrapping up his treatments. Both hospitals were in the same city just blocks from each other.

God knew what I needed - time - to care for family. God knew my husband's tiny VA disability check had been saved and invested and would cover all the expenses.

Our plan was to build a house with our big salaries and that little investment. Ha Ha Ha, said God, You need to build relationships right now. You need to care for family. The house will come when the time is right. You have a house to live in, care for the family you love.

God knew I could not be happy living in a big new house if it meant my mother and puppy would suffer. The best Christmas presents I can have will be with me.

There will be only one monument ever erected with my name on it and it will not be commissioned by my employer. It will be commissioned by my family.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #67
Beneath the title

Gee, I wish I had worked more and...

"There will be only one monument ever erected with my name on it and it will not be commissioned by my employer. It will be commissioned by my family."

I love that one...

On his deathbed my father didn't say: "I wish I had spent more time at the office" Actually, I think he told a joke about Hillary Clinton being president when the doctor checked on his mental status. (He died in 1993)

Thanks for sharing your inspiring words.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #68
Beneath the title

Here they are

Chief is the one not in the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	51414  

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 12-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #69

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What's he doing, shipping his brother away?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
I just got a unexpected bonus. God said: "I am going to give John some money but I won't let him spend it on himself and I will see what he learns from the expereince"

That is what I think my God is saying anyway.

What have I learned? Most people are wonderful, just look past all the business.

Thanks for listening.

John
Hi John, I'm happy to hear your pal is doing well. It is yoru good karma coming back. Have a great new year~michael

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote