Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #43
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I've made the switch in bowls for his daytime water. Now he only drinks and eats from Corell. I guess that's about as non-allergenic as I can get. I may get a stainless water bowl for the bathroom and keep the Corell for times he's not confined.

We have Disney pet dishes (who'd o' thought) for his food and water in the kitchen and we put the Corell bowls in them (they fit perfectly) because they are easier to keep clean and they take up less room in the dishwasher than the Disney ones. We just switch out the Corell bowls and don't have to worry about his dishes being dirty or in the dishwasher when it's feeding time.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #44

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
We have our cocker on a "special" hypoallergenic dog food that cost almost as much as steak! We have tried two types and the other didn't seem to work any better. The vet wants to try a "new" type of protein that he has never tried before. Next will probably be venison.
We have been doing the same thing with our dalmatian. Unfortunately the change in food made him break out worse than ever before, itchy with crusty patches on his skin where the hair was falling out - he looked like he had mange. So it's back on the antibiotics for him. We really don't need this expense on top of all the money we've spent battling Alki's cancer this year!

Peter & Sharon, I would be interested to hear which brand exactly you settled on. Our Dal has had these skin/allergy problems for years! No one has ever offered to do any allergy testing, though it is clear he has allergys. I didn't know that was possible.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
We have been doing the same thing with our dalmatian. Unfortunately the change in food made him break out worse than ever before, itchy with crusty patches on his skin where the hair was falling out - he looked like he had mange. So it's back on the antibiotics for him. We really don't need this expense on top of all the money we've spent battling Alki's cancer this year!
What brand of hypoallergenic food did you try?

The vet-school clinic at Auburn University wanted us to use Purina H/A. We got a 40 LB bag when we picked Sulley up after his surgery but when it ran out, we couldn't find it locally so we bought the Hills Science Diet H/A that our local vet recommended. He said he preferred it over the Purina. He said the Purina chopped up the protein strand and made it unrecognizable by the dog's digestive system or something like that and the Hills used a protein that was non-allergenic on its own. He recommended next time going with an alien protein like venison or salmon or some other protein that Sulley had never had and see if that would work better (and cheaper). At $70/40 LB bag I'm for it if it will work!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Yeast

Stepping back to Yeast a bit.....

Hypo allergitic foods - have Yeast in them

Vets will not tell you your pet has a Yeast Allergy - A blood test will.

Yeast is not the only allergy dogs are suceptible to...

Taz is also highly allergic to household mold - tree molds and grass molds - these are environmetal that we can not control (with exception to household molds - we keep everything clean with vinegar not bleach or any other commercial product for mold)

To help Taz especially this time of year with the molds that form on the fallen leaves and the dying off grassess - she is rinsed with tepid water. If she appears to be very itchy she gets a couple of benedryl to calm the itching to avoid her scratching her skin and breaking it open that then causes an infection and a vicouse cycle can begin)

Learn what you pets allergies are - don't guess - it is worth the money for sure. Some you will never find but others you will reducing the impact of the allergies...

good luck with all the research and hug and kiss your pet every chance you can - they wait patiently all day just for that simple return of affection.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #47
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Our Westie

We have been working on the assumption that our Westie has allergies, which he does. We switched to IVD brand, duck formula, canned dog food and it has helped. This is available through our Vet. Expensive but seems to help.

Recently his skin started acting up, hair loss and other symptoms turned out to be Cushings disease. He is home from surgery for removal of one adrenal gland that had enlarged substantially. During surgery they also found a tumor in his stomach, which was also removed.

At 17, he is doing wonderfully. It is amazing. Yes, he's very tired this week, and taking it easy. Stitches come out in another week. We are very hopeful for a speedy recovery before we pack up for our Florida trip in December. He has a good appetite and has been going outside for small periods of time with me. Other than that he is asleep at my feet in the office.

A great companion and very well traveled!

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #48

1968 17' Caravel
Our vet put Chester on the IVD Duck formula, but it gave him such horrible gas that after a month we said it had to change. So we moved on to the venison forumla, and he refused to eat it. At the same time he started getitng this horrible crustly skin condition - I don't know if that was a reaction to the food change, or if he got into something out in the yard. This really isn't a dog that should be on property, he gets into everything and eats everything he finds, and he seems to be allergic to all of it. Years ago I thought about finding him a city home, but who would take a dog with all these health and behavior problems (he was an abused rescue). So now he's back on his SD U/D (which he has been on for years for his urinary stone problem). We're taking a break from changes until things settle down again.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
Pam-Our doxie had Cushings for the last three (or so) years of her life. It can be very hard on the rugs and so forth because they are constantly thirsty and then forget to ask to be let outside. Our sweet old girl had everything go wrong towards the end, Cushings, bladder cancer, blindness, but she was a real trooper. We would find her faced into the corner of a room because she would get there and then forget how she got there, what she was doing there, and how to get back to her bed. But never a complaint. We finally sent her off to CatNip Heaven a few months ago, when the pain from the cancer was too much for her. She was an example to us all of bravery in the face of hardship.
Cathy
Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #50
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate

Sulley has continued to have ear infections in the other ear. The vets at Auburn University felt it was food allergies that caused the persistent infections. His regular vet feels it is environmental since he continues to get the ear infections despite two different hypoallergenic dog food trials, weekly shampoos with medicated shampoos, and extensive use of antibiotics.
Thanks to your story, I may have a possible answer to his allergies.
I just hear of a ear wash that is used for yeast infections and fungi infections in the ears. It is called K-Wash and has Ketaconozole in it. A friend's vet used it and cleared the infection right up. I wish this had been around when my Doberman was alive. She was plagued with ear infections!

There is also a shampoo that I have started using on my English Setter called Malaseb. It is for yeast conditions of the skin and is working wonderfully. You wash them twice a week until the skin is cleared up and then once a week or two weeks. She is the cleanest she has ever been!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Special diets for dogs

I belong to a Yahoo list that focuses on cooking for dogs with health issues - K9 Kitchen. The list owner Monica Segal has a background in canine nutrition and has written a book on it - Optimal Nutrition. She also publishes pamphlets on individual health concerns, cancer, allergies, etc, and the role diet plays.

Here is the link to her website. She will customize special diets for individual dogs according to government canine nutritional guidelines.

Welcome to Monica Segal

Allergy testing can yield false positives, so to really figure out what a dog is allergic to you must put them on an 'elimination' diet with one novel source of protein and one novel source of carbohydrate. All of their food including treats must come from these two foods only for at least two months. That generally means cooking for your dog. Most people don't want to go to the trouble of doing this which is why vets recommend commercial foods first. Since I began cooking for my dog with cancer, I have enjoyed it and found ways to make it convenient. Like cooking in large batches and freezing individual meals.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Allergies and ear infections

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey

Sulley has continued to have ear infections

I just hear of a ear wash that is used for yeast infections and fungi infections in the ears. It is called K-Wash and has Ketaconozole in it. A friend's vet used it and cleared the infection right up. I wish this had been around when my Doberman was alive. She was plagued with ear infections!
One of my angel goldens was plagued with constant ear infections. I took her to a new vet (who became my regular vet) for a second opinion. This wonderful vet swabbed her ears and sent the culture to a lab for analysis. My dog had the worst type of bacteria causing her infections and only two antibiotics were effective against this bacteria. Cipro was the med we used in pills and a special ear drop made at a compounding pharmacy. All of the previous attempts to cure this ear infection just created a breeding ground for this psudonomous bacteria to grow and continued to make the ear infection worse. If we had not been able to cure these infections, my dog would have needed surgery to remove the ear canals.

So - yes, environmental and food allergies can present themselves as ear infections, but sometimes ear infections are just that - a nasty bug that won't leave your dog's ear!

Please ask your vet to culture your dog's ear swab to make sure that you are not playing with some dreadful bacteria that can cause infections in humans too.

Mary

Old 11-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
OK, I know I started that other thread about "What my pet does for me", but Luke has a pretty good deal too.

He's a Border Collie, so I had to get him his own flock:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	49591  
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
OK, I know I started that other thread about "What my pet does for me", but Luke has a pretty good deal too.

He's a Border Collie, so I had to get him his own flock:
How cool!! We just looked at some alpacas this weekend for our pups to play with!

Mary

Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #55

1968 17' Caravel
We have had a friend's llamas spend the summer in our pasture for a couple years now. I don't know about alpacas, but llamas want nothing to do with being 'herded'. They'll form a circle and fight back - just ask Chester. He snuck out in the pasture and was gobbling up llama poo (another of his less pleasant habits) when he looked up and found himself surrounded by llamas. I held the gate open and hollared 'Run Chester', and he ran for that gate as fast as he could, with llamas hot on his tail. The llamas could have caught him, but they were just having fun. He's been spit on a few times though

Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
Llamas are mean, alpacas are gentle. But I do have my doubts that my retrievers could herd anything but cats!!!

BTW - I do my agility training in horse barns. We call the horse poop they find in the dirt the 'jack pot training treat'!

Mary