Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
John

Sorry to hear the news. You are right, now is the time for payback for all that unmitigated love you've had. It's a very sad time and you guys are in our thoughts.

Barry

Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
John,

So sorry to hear of the problems. As you know, now is the time to spoil him rotten. Cooking organic chicken and rice is tasty for him, but is also therapeutic for you. It is difficult to pay them back for all the devotion and good times they've given us, but you will see that he will truly appreciate your efforts to make him more comfortable.

Dahli, Dianne and Bob

Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
Hey all,

Oh yea, one more thing, he is playing for the sympathy vote, makes us cook him grilled chicken; turns his nose up at high end dog food.

John
Don't be surprised at how painful it is to see a baby sick. Kids are kids whether they have 2 legs or 4 legs and fur.

I have a recipe developed by a noted veterinary oncologist from Colorado State University for a diet that starves the cancer cells while providing the body with excellent nutrition. My puppy's oncologist speaks highly of the vet and the diet. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you the link.

Lots of puppy prayers are heading to your family.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #32
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Now a week since the surgery. She's not so lathargic anymore, but still struggles with seeing up close (since only one eye has a lens) and still struggles with the satalite dish around her neck.

Now Bandit (the Siberian) is checking on her for me too....
Hi All,

Is the Husky really checking? Our other BC, Scout has been a real trooper but of all things, the cat seems to be somewhat concerned. Walks over and headbutts the patient. Normally he has no need for dogs, or people or anything else unless they involve dispensing food or serving as a squishy belly to prad up and down on. It is cool to think other pets develop a sense of compassion the way humans do. It would be cool to think the cat has any thougts about anything other then him self.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aaajn751...85435589377106

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
What disappointed me more than anything was that my vet did not diagonise this...it was just by chance I read the article and figured it out myself. Once I did, I mentioned it to our vet and she agreed, that most likely was the problem. We camped all summer and I took lLily's ceramic bowls...she did fine and has no signs of the 'kidney disease' anymore. I now have a new vet...I felt horrible, as you can imagine.

So, the bottomline is not not use those cute little vintage melamine bowls for pets! Makes me wonder about using them myself...but not enough to give them up!

Shari
Try not to be too hard on your vet. She/he probably didn't know you were using vintage melamine bowls only on your camping trips. That's like saying you were disappointed that your vet didn't diagnose the problem was that you used brand "X" cat food at home and brand "Y" while camping and only told her/him about the brand "X" cat food from home. If she/he didn't know about the different dishes, she/he couldn't know that might be the problem. Also, new melamine probably doesn't release the melamine into the food like the older materials appear to. After all, you were on every camping trip and it took you over four seasons to "by chance [you] read the article and figured it out [yourself]".

BTW, on a similar note, we have a two year old cocker spaniel that was plagued with ear infections to the point that he had to have an ear ablation (removal of the entire ear canal and closure of the ear opening) about six months ago. The veterinary surgeon at Auburn University Vet School said that it is rare to perform this procedure on a dog less than five years old and our Sulley was probably the youngest (1-1/2 years old at the time) he'd ever performed it on.

Sulley has continued to have ear infections in the other ear. The vets at Auburn University felt it was food allergies that caused the persistent infections. His regular vet feels it is environmental since he continues to get the ear infections despite two different hypoallergenic dog food trials, weekly shampoos with medicated shampoos, and extensive use of antibiotics. Your story of the melamine bowls got me to thinking. We feed our cocker with Corell bowls when we are home, but use a small plastic dog dish in the Airstream and for water when he is cloistered away in the master bath while we are at work. It isn't made of melamine, but it may be possible that he is allergic to the plastic or it may be leaching out of the vinyl into his water during the day. I'm going to switch to a Corell bowl and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks to your story, I may have a possible answer to his allergies.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, beautiful Miss Lilly! She goes well with your color scheme.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
[quote=Minnie's Mate]
BTW, on a similar note, we have a two year old cocker spaniel that was plagued with ear infections to the point that he had to have an ear ablation (removal of the entire ear canal and closure of the ear opening) about six months ago. The veterinary surgeon at Auburn University Vet School said that it is rare to perform this procedure on a dog less than five years old and our Sulley was probably the youngest (1-1/2 years old at the time) he'd ever performed it on. quote]

My Golden Retriever, Logan, just had a TECA surgery with removal of part of the bulla as well. Not for ear infections, but because he had a nasty tumor growing in his middle ear. The surgeon told me it was not common to perform this type of surgery on a golden. She said it is usually done on Cocker Spaniels. That is the number one breed she sees.

Mary

Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Ledyard , Connecticut
I love the cat picture!!!

You certainly have heard of the research about dogs who can 'smell' a cancerous tumor long before all the sophisticated medical equipment can identify it. Why not a cat with empathy? Doesn't the cat always know when you need a hug? Or at least something to fill your lap?

I have 4 cats too!

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
Hi All,Is the Husky really checking? Our other BC, Scout has been a real trooper but of all things, the cat seems to be somewhat concerned. Walks over and headbutts the patient. Normally he has no need for dogs, or people or anything else unless they involve dispensing food or serving as a squishy belly to prad up and down on. It is cool to think other pets develop a sense of compassion the way humans do. It would be cool to think the cat has any thougts about anything other then him self.

Picasa Web Albums - aaajn - Animals, Thre...

Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
I love the cat picture!!!
Thanks...it's one of my favorites too!

Quote:
Why not a cat with empathy? Doesn't the cat always know when you need a hug? Or at least something to fill your lap?
Absolutely! They know...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
She said it is usually done on Cocker Spaniels. That is the number one breed she sees.

Mary
The surgeon at the Auburn Vet school said it wasn't uncommon with Cockers, but he didn't seem to indicate that it was particular to the breed. However, Cockers do get lots of ear infections. That's because they are ground sniffers and their ears are so close to the ground when they are sniffing the ground to find a scent. It is believed by many that the ears were bred to be long and floppy to fan the ground and help stir the scent toward the nose.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
The surgeon at the Auburn Vet school said it wasn't uncommon with Cockers, but he didn't seem to indicate that it was particular to the breed. However, Cockers do get lots of ear infections. That's because they are ground sniffers and their ears are so close to the ground when they are sniffing the ground to find a scent. It is believed by many that the ears were bred to be long and floppy to fan the ground and help stir the scent toward the nose.
That...and the fact that cockers' ears are long and hang down closing off the ear canal to good air circulation and infections love those moist, warm ear canals that don't get dried out well...we clean our cockers' ears with a washing solution routinely...then rinse them with a drying solution agent that helps keep the infections at bay...

TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Yep, I have that drying solution for Sulley's ears, too. He hates it though when I clean them with the cleaning solution and then put the drying drops in. I think it is high in alcohol and burns.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Just a short note to all you pet owners....be aware that mucky ears can not just be a sign of infection but an underlying serious allergy to YEAST!!!!

All animals produce yeast - but when they develop an allergy to yeast this can be complicated with all sorts of itching, resulting in skin disorders and the list goes on......get to the source! FOOD!!!

for those of you who are not sure - try a food that verifies that there is NO YEAST of ANY kind in the dog food and see the results in 3 months....

I speak of experience with our Black LabXgolden....We spent years with horendous vet bills with ear infections, skin breakouts, poor coat conditions and just a generally poor health dog. That was costing upwards of 3000.00 a year in vet bills and I felt absolutely horrible as a pet owner that I felt helpless to reliever her conditions....

Until I lost my Golden (second one to cancer at age 8) and said enough is enough - I am taking care of my dogs like they were children why are they haveing so much trouble!!! FOOD!!!!

Taz is night and Day - I spent the $300.00 and had a blood panel done on her for allergies...YEAST out of 5 was a 5+ so guess what - no yeast a miracle no - just a long process of elimination...and I am so glad that I decided to research dog food.....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #41
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have our cocker on a "special" hypoallergenic dog food that cost almost as much as steak! We have tried two types and the other didn't seem to work any better. The vet wants to try a "new" type of protein that he has never tried before. Next will probably be venison. I am trying a change in his dish as Shari described. During the day, Sulley spends the day in our Master Bath. It is the largest un-carpeted area of our house...he isn't trust worthy yet...he is house trained, but he is too precocious and would get into too much trouble. We feed him in a Corell cereal bowl in the mornings and at night that is inserted into his "Disney" dishes. During the day I put water in a plastic dish. We use an identical plastic dish for his food and water when we camp. I have replaced the daytime dish with a Corell dish to see if he might be allergic to either plastic, vinyl, or PVC. Hopefully, that might be part of it.

However, yeast infections is one of the types of infections he has had in the remaining ear but I think the vet would have said something if it might have been a yeast infection since he has had other types of ear infections and he doesn't get anything other than the dog food...no treats.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Minnie's Mate

We ended up picking up a couple of stainless dishes for our cat. Trashed the plastic ones and since then he's not had any of the urgent need of the litter box problems he had been having. We have nothing scientific to validate the reason but the difference was noticeable within a day or two and has worked for over a year now. No more costly meds and vet check ups and lab tests, but we have kept him on the science diet for geriatric cats he had moved to when he hit 10 (3 years ago).

We have not noticed any downside to the change and the dishes are very easy to keep clean.

Barry