Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In addition to this great suggestion try the "boomerang recall training". One person stand 20' from another and make sure the dog sits by you. Then the other person calls the dog, "come" - "ready - come" or whatever command you want to use and when the dog comes a treat is given. Then repeated running back to the first person, but the dog cannot move until the "come" command is given. This builds confidence in the dog, is fun for everyone as once the dog gets a hang of this they will come full speed and eventually with enough training they will always come. Start this process indoors with no distractions and then move outside. Training should be fun for everyone.

Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
Great advise Paiceman. Another suggestion is to use a long line for training them to come when called. Attach a 20 or 30 foot leash, let them get a little ways away from you and tell them to come (or whatever word you use). This will teach them to return to you at your command no matter what is happening in front of them. Of course, give a treat or praise highly when they do it.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
We bought the AS to facilitate traveling with our border collie, Lupe. I didn't realize exactly what we were signing up for when we got a border collie, but it's turned out to be a pretty good deal: she does absolutely everything within her doggie capabilities to do whatever she can to please us, provided that we do everything we can within our human capabilities to include her on our team, 24/7. I've had 4 dogs in my life so far, all of whom have lived out their lives with me. I loved each of them very much. But the difference between them and Lupe is striking, sort of like the difference between a Porsche and a truck. You think something and Lupe is doing it. I started out sort of heavy handed in training her, like I did with my other dogs, and I wasn't getting the same responses. Fortunately, I was able to listen to her and so she was able to train me to train her. She can be running full tilt 50 yards away after a squirrel and I can whisper "lie down" and she will hit the ground like a quarterback sacked behind the line of scrimmage. We were recently walking in a nature area with her unleashed (illegally, of course) when a deer crossed about 15 yards in front of us. I gave her the down sign with my hand, and we stopped and watched the deer graze for 5-10 minutes before it walked off. Unknown to me, a park ranger was behind me. After the deer walked off, he came up to me and said, "I was about to give you a ticket for an unleashed dog, but instead, I'm just going to tell you that you have a very well trained dog."

Lupe will probably be my last dog, and I only hope we are destined to be together for a good long time, whoever goes first. On a recent trip, I had gotten up to make coffee, and while I was occupied, she sneaked into bed with my wife

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423366759.807031.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	231936

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Border collies are the absolute smartest of the breeds...

Does she herd people into groups as well. My son's border collie used to 'herd' kids into a small group if he let her.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
She's better at herding me. Sometimes my wife or I might say something about going to the dog park, meaning after a while. Dogs don't really understand "after a while;" they only understand "dog park." So from the time the words are mentioned until we actually get in the truck to go, any movement away from the door to the garage is accompanied with nips to my heel, while any movement toward the door to the garage is accompanied by gleeful circling.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
When in camp and we are outside thay're on leashes.

In the car , windows down about an inch and if its hot the a/c is on with remote start.

If the trailer is with us when we stop we put them in the trailer with the windows cracked and the Maxxair fans on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	231946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	231947  

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	231948  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I have a Pomeranian/chihuahua mix that does the 'gleeful circle' thing. He also seems to understand the 'inside voice' command when he's going nuts to convince me to let him out or feed him. He and his brother throw themselves into laps for belly rubs and have a habit of flailing there forepaws together starting at their nose like they are running in place to get attention. The other dogs have picked this 'pet me' signal up and use it as well. Dumb animals I think NOT.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
McDave - loved reading about the intelligence of Lupe. While it made me a bit jealous (my sweet Daisy can sometimes be described as intelligent as a bag of hammers, bless her heart) - I realize there are different intelligences with breeds who emphasize one thing over another.

As a bloodhound, Daisy's "snout smarts" are second to none. The idea that she would lay quietly watching a deer pass by is ludicrous :-)

She would howl and trumpet at the top of her lungs and sniff her way to find that huge funny looking dog! Then she'd play with it and love it like the sweet bucket of sugar covered in fur that she is.

Camping's a blast with her when you get her on the trails for a walk. New smells in new locations are a real joy for her. Here's a pic of her enjoying the trails around Watkins Glen, NY and then being a little tired back in the trailer :-)

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423399130.945253.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  158.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423399174.929254.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  90.7 KB
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
As an update to our Rescue. We just received IRS Non-Profit standing as a 501c3 AND we are close to being approved as a Network Partner with Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab Utah. We also are full, seems January is a big month to abandon dogs, we have 60 dogs and 40 puppies almost all of whom were going to be killed by various Animal Control Agencies as they too are full. Many of the puppies are not even old enough to go to homes, only 4-6 weeks.

So, each day we train the less than sociable ones trying to prepare them for their new homes.

We bought our first RV years ago so we could take our Labrador at the time and Golden Retriever at the time with us on vacations. Best decision we ever made.

My Best

Bud
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Corona , California
IMHO, anyone doing no-kill rescue at that scale* is doing God's Work....

We have 4 rescues in our little pack of doggies, and we're at capacity now.

Please keep up the good work...

*fixed a dumb, dumb typo caused by auto-correct at this point. Sigh..
Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 AM   #50
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Border Collies are a special breed and, like you said, very smart! She did well in finding you!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Thanks rmkrum, its what I would have done years ago if it paid, ha. Unfortunately new truck and AS may sit for this year, breaking up a fight between a dangerous Pit and an American Bull Dog I blew a disk and do not want surgery. Still function, but not well and driving is not very comfortable. Time will tell. Thanks for adopting, four is more than enough.

Be well,

Bud
Old 02-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Ouch! Take care of yourself.

We've always had rescues. They all seem to appreciate the second chance as well...

Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Border collies rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Couldnt help myself.......another photo of our latest rescued family

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423791250.874083.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	232282
Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Looks an awful lot like a border collie on the left. That eye contact is impossible to ignore.