Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
What do you do with your dogs when ...

We have our dogs kennel trained. We bring the kennels with us, and set them outside when they are not in use. Our dogs are used to being left alone while we work, so it's a normal for them to be left alone 8-10 hours. While we are gone they are inside the AS and in their kennels. If they are not in the kennels they tend to bark at people when they walk by.

We always talk to our neighbors, and check to make sure they were not barking while we are gone. Summer AC is a must.

We also tie them out when we are outside. Good placement of the tie out limits some of the tangling, but it happens. Keeping them from barking is the hardest part. I was roughly informed by grumpy camp host at Salt Springs of the Three Bark rule. Not sure if it was his rule or the camps but it is s good rule. There a week, and only one issue with the dogs. I felt that was pretty good. They run a really tight ship there.

Also, having two large dogs tied out in your camp site really cuts down on unwanted foot traffic through the camp site!

Some times we will kennel them instead of taking them with us. It's two less things to manage.

A lot of camp grounds in the central Florida area don't allow dogs. So we have to kennel.

Last but not least. Make sure you clean up after your dogs. Don't leave it for the camp hosts.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
......."so went back to the trailer before we left the RV park only to find she had mangled every mini blind."

Do they do it on purpose?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	training-your-adopted-dog.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	230248  

Old 01-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Last season, we had an unfortunate incident with our rescue "dingo", who escaped past one of our kids as they entered the trailer. She rushed toward a fellow, who was walking his dog on leash, and he ended up stumbling backward over a log and falling down in the sand. Our dog never made contact with either, but he was unhappy and reported the incident to the state ranger at the campground. There was a report and the ranger came to meet our dog, who was very happy to make his acquaintance. It sullied two days of our weeklong trip and certainly had the person who fell down unhappy as well!

Inside the trailer, all three dogs are content to sleep and cozy up to us when we're lounging.

Dogs can be unpredictable and things can go sideways pretty quickly. We have been rethinking camping with our two JRTs (one is very well socialized; one is fine off-leash but less fine on-leash, where she suddenly becomes territorial over us) and the dingo after the incident last year.

We love our dogs and never encourage aggressive behavior in any way. I have grown to feel that barking, tangled dogs - especially larger ones - negatively impact the camping experience.
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Erik Olson:

Couple of suggestions prior to leaving the dogs at home. While at home make the doors and stairs boundaries, no dog in the house can enter or leave a room without "permission" or go up and down stairs without being told to do so. This is when a person is entering, leaving or going up or down stairs. If dogs are free to roam the house so be it. I teach people the command "wait" to give to the dog.

Once the house is successful, should take no longer than a week or so with continual repetition, then transfer this to the AS. Dogs cannot be permitted to enter or leave the AS without being told OK or come etc.

In this way you've established doors as boundaries and the dogs should not bolt out the door when someone is entering or leaving. It takes some work, but I've found in my own life and in teaching others it is a worthwhile exercise and one that pays dividends time and again.

Leash aggression is pretty common, usually comes from the dog feeling out of control and confined, attack before being attacked. If your leash aggressive dog is food motivated try using treats to get it to "look" at you instead of the other dog, I teach the command "look" or "here" depending on what the person wants to use, ANY word will do, just use the same one each time. By all means, and I know it's tough no matter what remain calm, everyone in the family needs to stay calm. As soon as someone gets nervous the dogs pick up on this even before you actually realize you are nervous and will react to this emotion of the person. So, when walking on leach think happy thoughts when another dog is approaching, if necessary move to the other side of the street while using treats a toy or something to get the dogs vision and mind off the approaching dog.

It's not easy, but it can be done, I do it every day as a volunteer trainer at a dog rescue, working with shy, scared and or aggressive abused or neglected dogs we take in. It does work, takes time and effort but for me it's worth having my dog with me while traveling, its actually why we bought our AS.

My Best - Stay Calm no matter what.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #33
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Great advise Paiceman. Another suggestion is to use a long line for training them to come when called. Attach a 20 or 30 foot leash, let them get a little ways away from you and tell them to come (or whatever word you use). This will teach them to return to you at your command no matter what is happening in front of them. Of course, give a treat or praise highly when they do it.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We take our retired racing Greyhound, Willow, with us on shorter trips, otherwise she's off to the kennels where she seems reasonably happy.

When at the campground, Willow's always on the leash, usually a fairly long one, one staked to the ground. You can train Greys all you like, but if they catch sight of a squirrel or a rabbit, all that training disappears and they chase as their instincts dictate, hence the leash.

She's a nervous dog and will defend her territory, the trailer and the site, with some hefty barking and aggressive moves should anyone stray too close, but she's a coward at heart and will be the first to back off when challenged. Strangers don't know this, of course, so most people keep a healthy distance. She doesn't bark at any other time so no one's ever mistaken her for an aggressive animal, thank goodness, and given a few minutes sniffing, she warms to most visitors eventually.

We have left her in the trailer once, for a couple of hours on a cool evening, but she was in her crate so not left to decimate the Airstream's interior. Normally, though, she goes where we go; if that means no restaurants, then so be it.

We try to camp where there are off-leash facilities; to see a Greyhound running at full speed on a deserted beach is truly a pleasure.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Willow is really beautiful. I bet when she's at a full run its amazing to watch.

We have little dogs. Two Pomeranian chihuahua mix brothers and a Tibetan Terrier. All are trained to stay inside the AS unless they are on a leash. The few times they got off leash outside they panicked and came directly back to the AS at high speed. The AS is their home on the road.

They love to travel. Backseat crate is their safe place in the Tacoma.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
We take our retired racing Greyhound, Willow, with us on shorter trips, otherwise she's off to the kennels where she seems reasonably happy.

When at the campground, Willow's always on the leash, usually a fairly long one, one staked to the ground. You can train Greys all you like, but if they catch sight of a squirrel or a rabbit, all that training disappears and they chase as their instincts dictate, hence the leash.

She's a nervous dog and will defend her territory, the trailer and the site, with some hefty barking and aggressive moves should anyone stray too close, but she's a coward at heart and will be the first to back off when challenged. Strangers don't know this, of course, so most people keep a healthy distance. She doesn't bark at any other time so no one's ever mistaken her for an aggressive animal, thank goodness, and given a few minutes sniffing, she warms to most visitors eventually.

We have left her in the trailer once, for a couple of hours on a cool evening, but she was in her crate so not left to decimate the Airstream's interior. Normally, though, she goes where we go; if that means no restaurants, then so be it.

We try to camp where there are off-leash facilities; to see a Greyhound running at full speed on a deserted beach is truly a pleasure.

Kudos' to 'ya ....The Greyhound Rescue Program is one of the best in the country.
It's a very sweet breed and requires a very committed owner to socialize them back into the pet world.
A friend told me once that one of most challenging things was getting them used to stairs, not something they would have encountered on the track.

Bob
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #37
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
We bought our airstream to holiday with our dogs, two whippets who travel beautifully, they can be left in the trailer for a couple of hours or so with no problems as they are not barkers with the fantastic fan and the AC on. They just get onto our bed and sleep. We tether them when we are outside walk them on the lease until we find a trail with no one on it then we will let them off leash if it's safe. They love the beach at the Pinery as they can run flat out for miles if they wish. People often stop by to comment on how quiet they are as they never bark at people walking past. But if you are a squirrel you better watch out! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421157217.223933.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	230342Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421157251.917461.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	230343Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421157305.942701.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	230344Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421157335.058606.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	230345

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Kudos' to 'ya ....The Greyhound Rescue Program is one of the best in the country.
It's a very sweet breed and requires a very committed owner to socialize them back into the pet world.
A friend told me once that one of most challenging things was getting them used to stairs, not something they would have encountered on the track.

Bob
You're right, Bob, some do have trouble with stairs. Willow, though, took to them quickly and although she looks ungainly when going down, she takes them with ease. That said, getting in and out of the Airstream she just misses the steps completely and launches herself in and out, normally at great speed.

One of the reason we adopted a dog was that we'd bought our Airstream; it seemed that most RV people had dogs and, as most dogs travel well, it seemed like a good idea. We haven't regretted our decision, apart from when I see the claw marks she once left in the Ultraleather!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishgirl View Post
We bought our airstream to holiday with our dogs, two whippets who travel beautifully, they can be left in the trailer for a couple of hours or so with no problems as they are not barkers with the fantastic fan and the AC on. They just get onto our bed and sleep. We tether them when we are outside walk them on the lease until we find a trail with no one on it then we will let them off leash if it's safe. They love the beach at the Pinery as they can run flat out for miles if they wish. People often stop by to comment on how quiet they are as they never bark at people walking past. But if you are a squirrel you better watch out! Attachment 230342Attachment 230343Attachment 230344Attachment 230345

Lovely dogs. I recognise that Chillydogs coat!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #40
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Best coats ever! They have the big winter coat as well as the small fleece. They also have a fleece coat and a pair of fleece PJs from a lady in Michigan who makes amazing whippet clothes. Not sure if she makes them for greyhounds ( she started making them for Italian greyhounds).

Her company is called whippets only, she is on facebook - Jill Botzeau I can get her phone number if you are interested Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421190893.116902.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	230380Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421190983.464808.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	230381Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421191039.558538.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	230382

They sure need a lot of clothing with their fine coats and low body fat %. Oh yes and comfy beds to sleep on!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In addition to this great suggestion try the "boomerang recall training". One person stand 20' from another and make sure the dog sits by you. Then the other person calls the dog, "come" - "ready - come" or whatever command you want to use and when the dog comes a treat is given. Then repeated running back to the first person, but the dog cannot move until the "come" command is given. This builds confidence in the dog, is fun for everyone as once the dog gets a hang of this they will come full speed and eventually with enough training they will always come. Start this process indoors with no distractions and then move outside. Training should be fun for everyone.

Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
Great advise Paiceman. Another suggestion is to use a long line for training them to come when called. Attach a 20 or 30 foot leash, let them get a little ways away from you and tell them to come (or whatever word you use). This will teach them to return to you at your command no matter what is happening in front of them. Of course, give a treat or praise highly when they do it.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
We bought the AS to facilitate traveling with our border collie, Lupe. I didn't realize exactly what we were signing up for when we got a border collie, but it's turned out to be a pretty good deal: she does absolutely everything within her doggie capabilities to do whatever she can to please us, provided that we do everything we can within our human capabilities to include her on our team, 24/7. I've had 4 dogs in my life so far, all of whom have lived out their lives with me. I loved each of them very much. But the difference between them and Lupe is striking, sort of like the difference between a Porsche and a truck. You think something and Lupe is doing it. I started out sort of heavy handed in training her, like I did with my other dogs, and I wasn't getting the same responses. Fortunately, I was able to listen to her and so she was able to train me to train her. She can be running full tilt 50 yards away after a squirrel and I can whisper "lie down" and she will hit the ground like a quarterback sacked behind the line of scrimmage. We were recently walking in a nature area with her unleashed (illegally, of course) when a deer crossed about 15 yards in front of us. I gave her the down sign with my hand, and we stopped and watched the deer graze for 5-10 minutes before it walked off. Unknown to me, a park ranger was behind me. After the deer walked off, he came up to me and said, "I was about to give you a ticket for an unleashed dog, but instead, I'm just going to tell you that you have a very well trained dog."

Lupe will probably be my last dog, and I only hope we are destined to be together for a good long time, whoever goes first. On a recent trip, I had gotten up to make coffee, and while I was occupied, she sneaked into bed with my wife

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423366759.807031.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	231936