Old 06-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This thread shows my X-Pen solution for hanging out with the dogs in the campground.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ler-77117.html

I love this more every time we use it. The dogs are never unattended. When we are not hanging out in the campground/trailer, they go with us. We like dog-friendly activities anyway. It's a shame they can't go into museums and stuff like that, but the museums often have outdoor exhibits they can visit with us, so we'll just take them and walk around on the grounds. If we're going to an activity where we specifically know it won't be dog friendly, we'll leave them home with friends.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I am retired from business and now train and rehabilitate dogs who have been abused and neglected, many severely. If anyone has any particular questions I would be glad to answer them through private message and not fill up the pages here, we too bought our Air stream(s) to take our dogs with us and now may buy a 40' motorhome due to multiple dogs traveling with us.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Bless u for the job u do! Dont know how people can hurt animals... We just did our first trip with our 13yr old rescued dog. She seems a bit confused, but we got her all her comfort items, toys, food etc.... Hope she starts feeling more comfy soon... For now i wont leave her side😊
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
CampingDogs - best is to do very mild obedience training with a 13 year old - dogs, almost all dogs are looking for direction and if you give it to them, then they don't have to make decisions which in their genetics they don't like to do, so it then leaves it up to you and they become more relaxed and comfortable. Bless you for for adopting a senior dog. We get them in and unfortunately many spend their last years in a kennel. Enjoy.

We hate to do it but probably going to sell the AS and go SOB 40' Motorhome today or tomorrow so we can take our multiple dogs along, still trying to make the final decision - love the AS but can't swing both and don't like leaving anyone behind.

Safe Travels
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Always good to have a sign, "Dog/pet inside", plus inform your camp neighbors you are leaving, about how long you may be gone, giving them a cell phone to reach you if a situation arises.,
Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Nothing worse than barking dogs that have been left in a trailer for hours on end. If you can not properly care for and control them, leave them at home. Thank you

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
True , maybe overprotective 😃but I would not want to leave my dogs in alone. In our case One always stays to take care of them, otherwise we take them w us.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Ha, back. Bought the SOB MH, took a 7,000 mile wonderful trip and did not like the MH and missed the AS. Now sold the MH and back in a 30' AS, go figure. Still working with abused and neglected dogs every day we are in town, in fact have cancelled a much anticipated trip to FL for two months this winter so I can concentrate on 8 dogs we just received from a hording situation. All three years or older, never met a man, never been on a leash, never been inside a building except an open barn and never been up and down steps much less in a car. Should be fun getting them ready for adoption. I did 7 a month or so ago and all but two are adopted and doing well in their new homes. MUCH more rewarding than being in business, no pay, but that is ok.

We now have 50 dogs as of today in need of homes and more come in every day as we "specialize" in taking dogs that are about to be put down, many considered non adoptable. I do the shy scared ones and the "real" trainer does to aggressive ones using me as the test person.

Happy New Year to everyone, especially the parents of rescued animals.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
We travel full time with a German Shepherd Dog. From the time he was a puppy, we trained him to be accustomed to staying home alone and know we would come back. I am happy to say that it worked. While some places do say that you cannot leave the dog in your trailer, if that dog doesn't make a sound, no one probably knows. Our dog only barks on command thankfully. Having said all that, we try to take him everywhere we possibly can. We do, however, still go on hikes - which was a big reason for buying the Airstream in the first place. Even though it is inconvenient sometimes, we just love having him with us on this adventure .... and think he likes it too.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Our first PWD demanded we get a trailer to stay in at the water trials...

We no longer compete but wouldn't leave home without 'Fado'.
He's got his own spot in the AS.....

And around the campfire...

Never off-lead in the CG, crate and X-pen trained, we always leave site better than found. We've never had a 'dog' complaint from a fellow camper.

Bob
Old 01-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Seal Rock , Oregon
Our 3 dogs go everywhere except into a restaurant with us. They stay outside in their pen when we are outside relaxing or eating. They stay in the tow vehicle when we venture away from the campsite, sightseeing and shopping. I always find a shady place to park w/ windows down an inch. When sightseeing and shopping, they take walks with us to get their exercise and I sit with them while my wife goes inside the shops to look. I made a dog den under the front bed of the Sport and they love it there. For our last long trip, I made the dinette into a sofa and they enjoyed sitting on it with us while we watched TV just like at home. They are pretty fortunate rescues!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_44356e.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	230206   Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_44359e.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	230207  

Name:	DWI_44360e.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	230208   Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_44367e.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	230209  

Old 01-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
This is Bodie. He lives to run and hunt. He is extremely high maintenance. He stays home when we travel.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	230211
Old 01-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Oh I forgot...he wanted me to show his spots when we go fish'n together.

Come on Dad...

This way...

Lets go home now...

Bob
Old 01-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #28

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
We have a boxer and she is a great traveler, but suffers from separation anxiety. We once left her in our Casita for only minutes when we had a bad feeling about leaving her so went back to the trailer before we left the RV park only to find she had mangled every mini blind. Lesson learned. Now that were in a new AS, we never leave her behind. I made a platform for our truck so she can look out the windows as we travel down the road. If the temperatures are under 70 we will leave her for short periods (no longer than 2 hours) in the truck and always find her sitting in the driver seat upon our return as if shes going to drive us home.
Were not retired yet, so most of our camping trips are weekenders. If we camp someplace where were going do hiking and kayaking then we kennel her. We love taking Dakota with us, but as weirdstuff said "there are certain things that you just can not do when you travel with dogs (like leave all day to go hiking and biking, etc.). Would be nice if more RV parks offered doggy day care!