Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Lexington , North Carolina
My take on the pet thing?

One of the main reasons we bought our new (to us) Airstream, is that we can take the dogs along. We just sold our boat (27' Sailboat) and discovered that with it, we could leave the dogs (a Fox Terrier and a terrier mutt) in the boat, while at dock, and go to town, shopping or exploring, and not have to worry about them. We could walk back down the pier, step unto the boat and hear them scramble to do their "job" of protecting our home. They realized, after the first few times, that the boat was "theirs" to protect, defend and, yes, relax in. We would tease them as their eyes would be all blurry from sleeping so soundly while we were gone.

While gone on trips, leaving them at home with a dog sitter, or a kennel, whatever, they were exhausted upon our return because they never relaxed the whole time we were away. Judging by our boat trips, they enjoyed exploring new places as much as we did, gave us much comfort and company enroute, and introduced us to many new places and people in our travels.

I am assuming that the Airstream will become just as much a part of their life as the boat did and we will all enjoy it in our travels.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
My Chihuahua traveler

We just lost a chihuahua at 8 years old, too early and I was so upset that I now have a 4 mo. old long hair that is keeping me busy. He is of course in obediance school and I am learning.
Our previous dog flew, boated and motorhomed with us. we left him on the boat and in the motorhome with AC on.
I appreciate the warning of low votage and AC going off.
the ice beds are a great idea.
I have the advantage of taking him at his 3# weight. I made a shoulder bag with a screen, of course, so he can see out. He has been to lots of places all ready.
He is not very well behaved in the bag yet and still wants to look out the top but we are getting there.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Unattended pets/full timing

I realize this is an old thread so I apologize.

I did not see a mention for unattended pets and full timers. We are getting ready to sell our house and full time. We have two little yorkies, who do very well in their crates (with water of course) while we are gone for hours at a time so I don't believe that will be a problem in the AS either as we have camped with them before.

The thing that concerns me is the mention of power outages, A/C breaking, etc. And we intend on doing most of the things others have spoken about like leaving a card in the window with our contact info in case of emergency, speaking to our neighbors and to the people that run the parks.

We are going to look into a product call Paradox which is a marine security and monitoring system that will notify us by our cell phones if there are any issues, like outages, high or low temps, low voltage, fire, smoke or break ins. It has door switches so it can tell you if a door is being tampered with. Has pet sensitive sensors. You can turn lights on and off by your cell. And if you want you can add security cameras. We don't know the cost yet but it is definitely worth it for our "kids" safety!

Donna & Kelly
Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Cost of the alarm system... expensive.

Value of two little Yorkshires...priceless
Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
Cost of the alarm system... expensive.

Value of two little Yorkshires...priceless
Awwwwww
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was just thinking about this after another thread where we were discussing what to do with the dogs when traveling. I would think that with the smartphones everyone carries now, it would not be too difficult to set up a system you could view anytime to check on the pets back home (in the trailer) and see what they are up to. At least the technology is there, if you could figure out how to apply it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I was just thinking about this after another thread where we were discussing what to do with the dogs when traveling. I would think that with the smartphones everyone carries now, it would not be too difficult to set up a system you could view anytime to check on the pets back home (in the trailer) and see what they are up to. At least the technology is there, if you could figure out how to apply it.
We currently have "puppy cam" set up at home and get the video on our smart phones. We plan on doing the same thing in the AS.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
We currently have "puppy cam" set up at home and get the video on our smart phones. We plan on doing the same thing in the AS.
Please let us know what sort of equipment you use to do that. That sounds like just what you'd need. I assume you need internet connection? But with a wireless card in your laptop or free campground wi-fi, you could have connection just about anywhere.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
dogs & AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
Just bought a new- to- me Airstream and am intending to not only take it to dog trials but hopefully many other adventures. We have 5 Chihuahuas that will get to accompany us now. We have had very few and limited trips to date because they have had to go to the kennel. I am planning trips now, with the intention of bringing them with us. The "puppy cam" seems like a great idea. What we do for our dogs!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

Please let us know what sort of equipment you use to do that. That sounds like just what you'd need. I assume you need internet connection? But with a wireless card in your laptop or free campground wi-fi, you could have connection just about anywhere.
Well there are alt of ways to do it, but this is what I would recommend. We use linksys/cisco wvc80n wireless web cameras. They require no wiring other than power and provide a great picture. Then I would suggest one of the mobile hotspot devices that most of the major cell carriers now sell. This not only provides a connection for the camera but a good wifi connection for a couple laptops to get online at the same time. Just make sure the model you get offers "port forwarding" so you can get to your camera from the outside. Then we use a free viewer on our android phones for remote viewing. You can find it at http://hit-mob.com/store/. The cams are under $90 on ebay.

If thats to much of a geek project then the people at http://paradoxmarine.net/ offer a complete solution intended for boats that would work for the AS complete with camera, power and temp monitoring with cell phone notifications.

Kelly