Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky5
(excuse me, but don't most people go to Disney to go to the parks or other activities?)
We stayed in at Disney for 2 weeks and only went to the parks twice. We had evacuated for Katrina. We were in a pet loop and I don't remember any barking during the day at all. Before I would go onto another campers site I would ask Disney's managment to handle the problem. We are one of those who think our dog dose not bark, but I will check. Fort Wilderness is excellent, I can't wait to go back but do not need a hurricane for a excuse.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #22
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My girls would never bark. At least not when my wife is napping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogbed.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	23875  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #23

2004 16' International CCD
Scituate , Massachusetts
Thanks for all your replies! The family in the campsite next to mine said they didn't even realize the dogs were in the trailer. My biggest concern would be problems with the AC so I think I'll investigate the heat alarm or Fantastic Fan options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUT_0273.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23895   Click image for larger version

Name:	838222505303_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	23896  

Jetset Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

unattended pets

While your pets may be well behaved, I have unfortunately experienced cases where the opposite was true. Spending hours listening to someone's dog barking in a motorhome/trailer is not my idea of a pleasant camping experience. Seems to me that this is another case of the uncaring few have ruined it for everyone else.

Personally, I like to take my dog camping since he enjoys hiking. Given the problems with unattended pets, I don't bring him if I have to leave him in the trailer.

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
To Make Matters Worse, We Now Have A Cat...

My wife and I were discussing this very topic over morning coffee with our "Poodle Something" at our feet I might add.
We have just added a cat to the mix, so the pack now comprises the Poodle Something, a Doberman-Pit-Weiler, and a Manx kitty that thinks he's a dog.

Perhaps it's time to get a house sitter when we Airstream.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky5
BUT we had an annoying experience recently at Disney World where we were in a pet loop with other pet owners, but the people in the site next to us did not have a pet. AND they stayed at their campsite all day! (excuse me, but don't most people go to Disney to go to the parks or other activities?) Anyway, Tony did his usual initial barking routine when we first left, but we biked around the corner out of sight to see how long it lasted before we left. The "neighbors" then started going over to the trailer yelling at him to shut up and stood ther shaking their fists in anger. How they ended up in a pet loop and staying around the campground all day I'll never figure out.
Over the July 4th weekend we went to Ft. Wilderness just to try it out. We have annual passes so going into the parks is not an additional expense but we didn't even go into any of the parks even once. Believe me it was hard not to, but we wanted to "test the Disney camping waters", if you will, to see if we would want to come back and camp on future trips. We go to Disney on average three times a year. We now have reservations at Ft. Wilderness for a long weekend in October, February, and next July 4th again. For our week long trips at Christmas and Spring Break we will stay in a Disney Resort Hotel, but we liked Ft. Wilderness so much that I bought a golf cart when we got back to tool around the camp ground in (popular means of transportation at FW) when we return. We even have plans on how to decorate it for the golf cart parade next July 4th (imagine near life size Mickey on the roof in a beach chair with a frozen drink, infatable palm tree and Jimmy Buffett's "Changes in Lattitudes" on the CD player).

Depending on when this couple was there and how crowded the camp ground was, a pet loop site may have been the only site available when they made their reservation that would fit their RV. It took a half dozen calls for us to get a pet loop for all three nights we were at FW for July 4th week end. Initially we could only get a partial hook up for one night. Perhaps they originally planned to bring their dog and something happened and they couldn't or changed their minds. Perhaps they were traveling with another party in the same loop that had a pet. Many reasons they could have been there.

However, if I had observed their behavior, I would have confronted them or complained to the Disney staff or both. Disney would have handled it for you via Disney security. Disney security would have asked you to do as you did and kennel your dog, but the offending neighbors would have been spoken to.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
We frequently leave our great dane back at the trailer. He rarely barks. We sometimes leave him all day. Only a few issues so far. We are hesitant to keep him locked up when we visit places that require A/C due to the heat. We had an incident a few years back when too low voltage at a campground in Manteca caused the breakers to blow for the A/C while we were away for the day. All the windows were closed, of course. Dog got a bit hot, but he survived after being hosed down and given plenty of water. Since then we are a bit more careful with that scenario. So you do not need a crazy campground to have your A/C cut out..

When we head south in the summer, nowdays, we typically leave him at a boarding kennel at home.
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #28
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I think the big problem is over heating and water supply.

You?ve probably heard news reports of dogs suffocating inside cars on warm days. Here are suggestions for educating people about leaving pets in cars, and what to do if you see a pet in distress.

The dangers:
It takes only minutes for a pet left in a vehicle on a warm day to succumb to heatstroke and suffocation. Most people don?t realize how hot it can get in a parked car on a balmy day. However, on a 78 degree day, temperatures in a car parked in the shade can exceed 90 degrees -- and hit a scorching 160 degrees if parked in the sun!

Even when the outside air temperature is in the 60s, temperatures inside some vehicles can reach the danger zone on bright, sunny days. So many experts recommend not to leave pets or children in parked cars even for short periods if the temperature is in the 60s or higher.

Rolling down a window or parking in the shade doesn?t guarantee protection either, since temperatures can still climb into the danger zone. And if the window is rolled down sufficiently, the pet can escape. Plus if a passer-by claims he or she was bitten through the car window, the pet owner will be liable.

What about leaving the dog in the car with the air-conditioning running? Many people do this, but tragedy can strike -- and it has. For example, in 2003, a police dog in Texas died after the air-conditioning in the patrol car shut down and began blowing hot air. The air system's compressor kicked off because the engine got too hot. Many cars, including modern models with computerized functions, are prone to the same problem. In August 2004, a North Carolina couple lost two of their beloved dogs, and nearly lost their third dogs, as result of a similar failure. They had left bowls of water and ice in the car, and the air-conditioning on, during their shopping trip of less than 30 minutes.

Animals are not able to sweat like humans do. Dogs cool themselves by panting and by sweating through their paws. If they have only overheated air to breathe, animals can collapse, suffer brain damage and possibly die of heatstroke. Just 15 minutes can be enough for an animal?s body temperature to climb from a normal 102.5 to deadly levels that will damage the nervous and cardiovascular systems, often leaving the animal comatose, dehydrated and at risk of permanent impairment or death.

Precautions:
* Leave your dog at home on warm days.
* On trips with your pet, bring plenty of fresh drinking water and bowl.
* Don?t let dogs ride loose in pick-up truck beds. The hot metal can burn a dog?s paws, the sun and flying debris can hurt the dog, the dog can accidentally be thrown out of the truck if the brakes are suddenly applied, and the dog can jump out if scared or upon seeing something interesting to chase. Instead, use a crate to create a safer space for the dog if you can?t fit the dog inside the truck cab.
* Take the dog into the shade, an air conditioned area, or to the vet if you see signs of heat exhaustion, which include restlessness, excessive thirst, heavy panting, lethargy, dark tongue, rapid pulse, fever, vomiting, glazed eyes, dizziness, or lack of coordination. To lower body temperature gradually, give the animal water to drink, place a cold towel or ice pack on the head, neck and chest, and/or immerse the dog in cool (not cold) water. Call your veterinarian.

Laws:
It is against the law in most jurisdictions to leave a pet unattended in a standing or parked motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the health or safety of the animal.

Here is an excerpt from the Cruelty to Animals section of the Maryland Legal Code:
(a) A person may not leave a cat or dog unattended in a standing or parked motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the health or safety of the cat or dog.
(b) A person may use reasonable force to remove from a motor vehicle a cat or dog left in the vehicle in violation of the provisions of subsection (a) of this section if the person is:
(1) a law enforcement officer;
(2) a public safety employee of the State or of a local governing body;
(3) an animal control officer under the jurisdiction of the State or a local governing body;
(4) an officer of a society or association, incorporated under the laws of this State for the prevention of cruelty to animals, authorized to make arrests under the provisions of Art. 27, ߠ63 of the code; or
(5) a volunteer or professional of a fire and rescue service.
(c) A person described in subsection (b) of this section may not be held liable for any damages directly resulting from actions taken under the provisions of subsection (b) of this section. Transportation Article 21-1004.1.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Kernersville , North Carolina
My take on the pet thing?

One of the main reasons we bought our new (to us) Airstream, is that we can take the dogs along. We just sold our boat (27' Sailboat) and discovered that with it, we could leave the dogs (a Fox Terrier and a terrier mutt) in the boat, while at dock, and go to town, shopping or exploring, and not have to worry about them. We could walk back down the pier, step unto the boat and hear them scramble to do their "job" of protecting our home. They realized, after the first few times, that the boat was "theirs" to protect, defend and, yes, relax in. We would tease them as their eyes would be all blurry from sleeping so soundly while we were gone.

While gone on trips, leaving them at home with a dog sitter, or a kennel, whatever, they were exhausted upon our return because they never relaxed the whole time we were away. Judging by our boat trips, they enjoyed exploring new places as much as we did, gave us much comfort and company enroute, and introduced us to many new places and people in our travels.

I am assuming that the Airstream will become just as much a part of their life as the boat did and we will all enjoy it in our travels.
RichWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
My Chihuahua traveler

We just lost a chihuahua at 8 years old, too early and I was so upset that I now have a 4 mo. old long hair that is keeping me busy. He is of course in obediance school and I am learning.
Our previous dog flew, boated and motorhomed with us. we left him on the boat and in the motorhome with AC on.
I appreciate the warning of low votage and AC going off.
the ice beds are a great idea.
I have the advantage of taking him at his 3# weight. I made a shoulder bag with a screen, of course, so he can see out. He has been to lots of places all ready.
He is not very well behaved in the bag yet and still wants to look out the top but we are getting there.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fort Lauderdale , Florida
Unattended pets/full timing

I realize this is an old thread so I apologize.

I did not see a mention for unattended pets and full timers. We are getting ready to sell our house and full time. We have two little yorkies, who do very well in their crates (with water of course) while we are gone for hours at a time so I don't believe that will be a problem in the AS either as we have camped with them before.

The thing that concerns me is the mention of power outages, A/C breaking, etc. And we intend on doing most of the things others have spoken about like leaving a card in the window with our contact info in case of emergency, speaking to our neighbors and to the people that run the parks.

We are going to look into a product call Paradox which is a marine security and monitoring system that will notify us by our cell phones if there are any issues, like outages, high or low temps, low voltage, fire, smoke or break ins. It has door switches so it can tell you if a door is being tampered with. Has pet sensitive sensors. You can turn lights on and off by your cell. And if you want you can add security cameras. We don't know the cost yet but it is definitely worth it for our "kids" safety!

Donna & Kelly
Khulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Cost of the alarm system... expensive.

Value of two little Yorkshires...priceless
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
Cost of the alarm system... expensive.

Value of two little Yorkshires...priceless
Awwwwww
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was just thinking about this after another thread where we were discussing what to do with the dogs when traveling. I would think that with the smartphones everyone carries now, it would not be too difficult to set up a system you could view anytime to check on the pets back home (in the trailer) and see what they are up to. At least the technology is there, if you could figure out how to apply it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I was just thinking about this after another thread where we were discussing what to do with the dogs when traveling. I would think that with the smartphones everyone carries now, it would not be too difficult to set up a system you could view anytime to check on the pets back home (in the trailer) and see what they are up to. At least the technology is there, if you could figure out how to apply it.
We currently have "puppy cam" set up at home and get the video on our smart phones. We plan on doing the same thing in the AS.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
We currently have "puppy cam" set up at home and get the video on our smart phones. We plan on doing the same thing in the AS.
Please let us know what sort of equipment you use to do that. That sounds like just what you'd need. I assume you need internet connection? But with a wireless card in your laptop or free campground wi-fi, you could have connection just about anywhere.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Erin , Ontario
dogs & AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
Just bought a new- to- me Airstream and am intending to not only take it to dog trials but hopefully many other adventures. We have 5 Chihuahuas that will get to accompany us now. We have had very few and limited trips to date because they have had to go to the kennel. I am planning trips now, with the intention of bringing them with us. The "puppy cam" seems like a great idea. What we do for our dogs!
fab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

Please let us know what sort of equipment you use to do that. That sounds like just what you'd need. I assume you need internet connection? But with a wireless card in your laptop or free campground wi-fi, you could have connection just about anywhere.
Well there are alt of ways to do it, but this is what I would recommend. We use linksys/cisco wvc80n wireless web cameras. They require no wiring other than power and provide a great picture. Then I would suggest one of the mobile hotspot devices that most of the major cell carriers now sell. This not only provides a connection for the camera but a good wifi connection for a couple laptops to get online at the same time. Just make sure the model you get offers "port forwarding" so you can get to your camera from the outside. Then we use a free viewer on our android phones for remote viewing. You can find it at http://hit-mob.com/store/. The cams are under $90 on ebay.

If thats to much of a geek project then the people at http://paradoxmarine.net/ offer a complete solution intended for boats that would work for the AS complete with camera, power and temp monitoring with cell phone notifications.

Kelly