Old 07-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Why do camp grounds have the do not leave your dog unattended rule? Owner's do not know what their dogs do when they are left unattended in a strange place, their trailer. True, your dog may not bark when left unattended at home but they are accustomed to those surroundings. Your trailer is a different place for them, they are away from their normal surroundings and nervous. I was surprised at how many barking dogs I encountered during my month of camp hosting. These poor guys would howl from the time the owner's left to when they heard the car return. The owner's never knew and would swear their dog never barked. When I talked to them they would say it was the very first time the dog barked when left alone, I doubt it, they just never knew. My Springer never barks except when we leave him alone in Chummy. Most of the time fellow campers are close by in the camp grounds and the walls of of trailers and motor homes do not provide that much sound insulation. Three, four, or five hours of barking can be very annoying. Then think of poor Fido and the stress he's going through, his life is over, he thinks he has been left in this strange place. We leave our dog home with someone looking after him if there is some reason we would need to leave him unattended for any long period (hour or more) when we take him camping he is part of the planned activities and with us. We will even search for campgrounds that have dog runs and swimming areas so Cromwell can enjoy his outing as much as we do. However, if the camping is going to entail a long shopping trip or sight seeing which does not allow dogs he stays home where he will be happier than staying alone in Chummy.

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I was living in my A/S down here in Florida, my dog was "unattended" for 9-10 hours a day. The campground I was in very pet friendly. In fact, the manager said he would rather have a campground full of dogs, then kids! I had an electric meter at my site, so I paid for what I used.

In 4 months she only went once in the trailer, while I was gone for 12 hours at a WBCCI rally.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
I have left Tony our Fox terrier unattended in the trailer with air conditioning many times- and yes he does bark for a short while when we first leave, but then quiets down- just like he does at home. BUT we had an annoying experience recently at Disney World where we were in a pet loop with other pet owners, but the people in the site next to us did not have a pet. AND they stayed at their campsite all day! (excuse me, but don't most people go to Disney to go to the parks or other activities?) Anyway, Tony did his usual initial barking routine when we first left, but we biked around the corner out of sight to see how long it lasted before we left. The "neighbors" then started going over to the trailer yelling at him to shut up and stood ther shaking their fists in anger. How they ended up in a pet loop and staying around the campground all day I'll never figure out. We ended up putting Tony in the Disney campground kennel during the days when we went into the parks, which worked out very well. They are very friendly and kind to the animals, so it's a good option if you need it. And each day he "earned" a cute good behavior certificate!
sparky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Sequim , Washington
Not My Dog!

Our dogs never, ever bark when we are gone. At least that was the theory we chose to believe until we discovered that Be-Bop-A-RheeBop-Rhubarb-Pie-Ruby, our alpha-female Jack Russell Terrier and the instigator of all that is trouble with canines detected that we were out of HHHR (her human's hearing range).

She would then start a velociraptor's Howl From Hell that would put to shame Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles'. She would egg on Senator K. Thorvaldson, a whippet turned Cujo by Ruby's bat-like bite and he would bark and howl the ancient Druid keener's funeral lamentation. Then, the normally quiet and demure Maxwell Evarts Perkins, Dogger of Art & Literature enjoins with his older whippet soprano screeching and reverberative gratings. Glass begins to break, birds fall from the sky and the coating slides off the AS.

However, they have learned the technique of instant silence when they hear the particular sound of the diesel engine on the purple pickup (from about a half-mile away) and assume the posture of: "Why did you come home and wake us up?"

And, how can you not love them?

DJ Bassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #19
. , .
welcome dj bassett.......

funny very funny
and a clearer picture could not be painted....

ck's experience hosting should give everyone insight into how the perfect pets behave while left along...

everyone should drive around the corner and walk back....sit awhile and listen to the children in neighboring trailers go at it.....yap, yap yap....

not my prefect dog of course.....

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
We travel with our golden/lab mix and we leave her unattended for short periods. I made a business-card sized sign that I put in the window by the door that states: Dog inside. In case of emergency, contact owners at (cell phone numbers). We've never been called - thankfully, but just in case there is a problem we could be contacted. I also had an ID tag made for her collar with our cell phone numbers on it. We love our dog - that's why we bought her the trailer!!!

(I know it says K9s2go - but we're down to one........)
k9s2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Originally Posted by sparky5
(excuse me, but don't most people go to Disney to go to the parks or other activities?)
We stayed in at Disney for 2 weeks and only went to the parks twice. We had evacuated for Katrina. We were in a pet loop and I don't remember any barking during the day at all. Before I would go onto another campers site I would ask Disney's managment to handle the problem. We are one of those who think our dog dose not bark, but I will check. Fort Wilderness is excellent, I can't wait to go back but do not need a hurricane for a excuse.
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #22
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My girls would never bark. At least not when my wife is napping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogbed.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	23875  

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
2004 16' International CCD
Scituate , Massachusetts
Thanks for all your replies! The family in the campsite next to mine said they didn't even realize the dogs were in the trailer. My biggest concern would be problems with the AC so I think I'll investigate the heat alarm or Fantastic Fan options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUT_0273.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23895   Click image for larger version

Name:	838222505303_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	23896  

Jetset Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
unattended pets

While your pets may be well behaved, I have unfortunately experienced cases where the opposite was true. Spending hours listening to someone's dog barking in a motorhome/trailer is not my idea of a pleasant camping experience. Seems to me that this is another case of the uncaring few have ruined it for everyone else.

Personally, I like to take my dog camping since he enjoys hiking. Given the problems with unattended pets, I don't bring him if I have to leave him in the trailer.
1985 25' Sovereign
Corner Bed

2003 3/4 ton Suburban
6.0, 3.73

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
To Make Matters Worse, We Now Have A Cat...

My wife and I were discussing this very topic over morning coffee with our "Poodle Something" at our feet I might add.
We have just added a cat to the mix, so the pack now comprises the Poodle Something, a Doberman-Pit-Weiler, and a Manx kitty that thinks he's a dog.

Perhaps it's time to get a house sitter when we Airstream.
Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by sparky5
BUT we had an annoying experience recently at Disney World where we were in a pet loop with other pet owners, but the people in the site next to us did not have a pet. AND they stayed at their campsite all day! (excuse me, but don't most people go to Disney to go to the parks or other activities?) Anyway, Tony did his usual initial barking routine when we first left, but we biked around the corner out of sight to see how long it lasted before we left. The "neighbors" then started going over to the trailer yelling at him to shut up and stood ther shaking their fists in anger. How they ended up in a pet loop and staying around the campground all day I'll never figure out.
Over the July 4th weekend we went to Ft. Wilderness just to try it out. We have annual passes so going into the parks is not an additional expense but we didn't even go into any of the parks even once. Believe me it was hard not to, but we wanted to "test the Disney camping waters", if you will, to see if we would want to come back and camp on future trips. We go to Disney on average three times a year. We now have reservations at Ft. Wilderness for a long weekend in October, February, and next July 4th again. For our week long trips at Christmas and Spring Break we will stay in a Disney Resort Hotel, but we liked Ft. Wilderness so much that I bought a golf cart when we got back to tool around the camp ground in (popular means of transportation at FW) when we return. We even have plans on how to decorate it for the golf cart parade next July 4th (imagine near life size Mickey on the roof in a beach chair with a frozen drink, infatable palm tree and Jimmy Buffett's "Changes in Lattitudes" on the CD player).

Depending on when this couple was there and how crowded the camp ground was, a pet loop site may have been the only site available when they made their reservation that would fit their RV. It took a half dozen calls for us to get a pet loop for all three nights we were at FW for July 4th week end. Initially we could only get a partial hook up for one night. Perhaps they originally planned to bring their dog and something happened and they couldn't or changed their minds. Perhaps they were traveling with another party in the same loop that had a pet. Many reasons they could have been there.

However, if I had observed their behavior, I would have confronted them or complained to the Disney staff or both. Disney would have handled it for you via Disney security. Disney security would have asked you to do as you did and kennel your dog, but the offending neighbors would have been spoken to.
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
We frequently leave our great dane back at the trailer. He rarely barks. We sometimes leave him all day. Only a few issues so far. We are hesitant to keep him locked up when we visit places that require A/C due to the heat. We had an incident a few years back when too low voltage at a campground in Manteca caused the breakers to blow for the A/C while we were away for the day. All the windows were closed, of course. Dog got a bit hot, but he survived after being hosed down and given plenty of water. Since then we are a bit more careful with that scenario. So you do not need a crazy campground to have your A/C cut out..

When we head south in the summer, nowdays, we typically leave him at a boarding kennel at home.
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #28
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I think the big problem is over heating and water supply.

You?ve probably heard news reports of dogs suffocating inside cars on warm days. Here are suggestions for educating people about leaving pets in cars, and what to do if you see a pet in distress.

The dangers:
It takes only minutes for a pet left in a vehicle on a warm day to succumb to heatstroke and suffocation. Most people don?t realize how hot it can get in a parked car on a balmy day. However, on a 78 degree day, temperatures in a car parked in the shade can exceed 90 degrees -- and hit a scorching 160 degrees if parked in the sun!

Even when the outside air temperature is in the 60s, temperatures inside some vehicles can reach the danger zone on bright, sunny days. So many experts recommend not to leave pets or children in parked cars even for short periods if the temperature is in the 60s or higher.

Rolling down a window or parking in the shade doesn?t guarantee protection either, since temperatures can still climb into the danger zone. And if the window is rolled down sufficiently, the pet can escape. Plus if a passer-by claims he or she was bitten through the car window, the pet owner will be liable.

What about leaving the dog in the car with the air-conditioning running? Many people do this, but tragedy can strike -- and it has. For example, in 2003, a police dog in Texas died after the air-conditioning in the patrol car shut down and began blowing hot air. The air system's compressor kicked off because the engine got too hot. Many cars, including modern models with computerized functions, are prone to the same problem. In August 2004, a North Carolina couple lost two of their beloved dogs, and nearly lost their third dogs, as result of a similar failure. They had left bowls of water and ice in the car, and the air-conditioning on, during their shopping trip of less than 30 minutes.

Animals are not able to sweat like humans do. Dogs cool themselves by panting and by sweating through their paws. If they have only overheated air to breathe, animals can collapse, suffer brain damage and possibly die of heatstroke. Just 15 minutes can be enough for an animal?s body temperature to climb from a normal 102.5 to deadly levels that will damage the nervous and cardiovascular systems, often leaving the animal comatose, dehydrated and at risk of permanent impairment or death.

* Leave your dog at home on warm days.
* On trips with your pet, bring plenty of fresh drinking water and bowl.
* Don?t let dogs ride loose in pick-up truck beds. The hot metal can burn a dog?s paws, the sun and flying debris can hurt the dog, the dog can accidentally be thrown out of the truck if the brakes are suddenly applied, and the dog can jump out if scared or upon seeing something interesting to chase. Instead, use a crate to create a safer space for the dog if you can?t fit the dog inside the truck cab.
* Take the dog into the shade, an air conditioned area, or to the vet if you see signs of heat exhaustion, which include restlessness, excessive thirst, heavy panting, lethargy, dark tongue, rapid pulse, fever, vomiting, glazed eyes, dizziness, or lack of coordination. To lower body temperature gradually, give the animal water to drink, place a cold towel or ice pack on the head, neck and chest, and/or immerse the dog in cool (not cold) water. Call your veterinarian.

It is against the law in most jurisdictions to leave a pet unattended in a standing or parked motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the health or safety of the animal.

Here is an excerpt from the Cruelty to Animals section of the Maryland Legal Code:
(a) A person may not leave a cat or dog unattended in a standing or parked motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the health or safety of the cat or dog.
(b) A person may use reasonable force to remove from a motor vehicle a cat or dog left in the vehicle in violation of the provisions of subsection (a) of this section if the person is:
(1) a law enforcement officer;
(2) a public safety employee of the State or of a local governing body;
(3) an animal control officer under the jurisdiction of the State or a local governing body;
(4) an officer of a society or association, incorporated under the laws of this State for the prevention of cruelty to animals, authorized to make arrests under the provisions of Art. 27, ߠ63 of the code; or
(5) a volunteer or professional of a fire and rescue service.
(c) A person described in subsection (b) of this section may not be held liable for any damages directly resulting from actions taken under the provisions of subsection (b) of this section. Transportation Article 21-1004.1.

'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote