Old 06-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Litter box stays in the shower. Easy to clean and not under foot. Remove and set on top of toilet when the shower is being used by humans. My cat is a strictly indoor kitty so a convenient 24/7 box is necessary.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
This is a nice thread. Thanks, Paula, for the Ice Cream idea. Now, do any of you use a litter box inside the AS for during the night?
We have a top-entry litter box in the bathroom permanently. we have the walk-thru bathroom and there is plenty of space and it is not in the way. I just need to move it temporarily to use the shower.

We have the the 3 cats and I scoop the litter box morning, noon, and night. When we stop for a break on the road, the 3 cats line up to use the box. They are very polite about it.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We travel with 2 female cats 10 and 16. The 10 year old has cancer. Both are excellent travelers who ride in the tow vehicle. In the trailer both sleep on the bed day and night. Would think about putting them inside the trailer while moving. Litter boxes are under the foot of our 25FB. We do not leave home without 2 beloved extend family members. We hope to have them with us for another year so we can shower them with more love.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Litter box stays in the shower. Easy to clean and not under foot. Remove and set on top of toilet when the shower is being used by humans. My cat is a strictly indoor kitty so a convenient 24/7 box is necessary.
I had the box in the shower in my previous Airstream (25 Classic). I was warned to only use organic litter rather than the usual clay litter. Some litter is invariably going to be tracked and organic litter will never collect and clog the tanks like clay litter will.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mouse is going camping

Just found out my 14 year old cat named Mouse is diabetic and will need 2 insulin shots a day. He has never traveled with us and does not like even a short trip to the vet. In the future we will either have to stay home or turn him into a camping cat. I'm hoping even at his age he can adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	241505  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I had the box in the shower in my previous Airstream (25 Classic). I was warned to only use organic litter rather than the usual clay litter. Some litter is invariably going to be tracked and organic litter will never collect and clog the tanks like clay litter will.
I use a 100% organic and biodegradable litter made from corn. It is called "Worlds Best Cat Litter". At home after scooping it gets flushed down the toilet. I would never consider doing that in the trailer. I keep a plug in the shower drain and a piece of carpet cut oversized to line the shower pan. It gets scooped several times in a 24 hour period and replaced with clean litter as necessary. Of course some still makes it out of the shower but that is normal with any litter. I keep a portable vacuum handy to suck up the offending bits.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
World's Best Litter

Same litter I use, both at home and in the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Traveling with our kitty

We have a new kitty we are just introducing to riding in the car and going with us in our trailer. We will be making our first camping trip soon. We have had cats that have been excellent travelers and others that hate it... so we are hoping she will learn to enjoy our journeys! A word on kittys that don't like traveling and howl.... I had a vet that told me to give my full size male cat 1/4 of a Dramamine tablet.... it really made the difference. But, this was years ago, so I would check with your vet before trying this!

We use a cat carrier in the car, just in case the cat doesn't freak out with something and jump in front of us while driving!

My husband has made a temporary "loft" for our kitty we will be trying out when we are stopped and camping.

It is nice to have the "whole" family along!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mollys loft 2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	242710  

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #37
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Our cat prefers the tow vehicle. We have let him travel in the trailer. It is very bumpy and noisy while moving and frightens him. He hides under the bed. Usually when we stop to eat and have a bathroom break he jumps from the Jeep, runs to the trailer stairs to join us in the trailer to take the same breaks.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Baltimore , Maryland
We have two cats that are toilet trained. It was a lot of work to get them comfortable with it but now they are really good about it. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for us? We pick up our new 26u in a couple weeks and it uses a macerator toilet. We are hoping to keep a little bit of water in the bowl while parked camping. When the cats go, it's nice to have their waste get covered with water since it helps keep the smell down until flushed. But I have to tell you, it is a wonderful way to deal with cat waste and not have litter to bother with. Thoughts?

Mike R
Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heh, wish it was possible to train dogs like that!

I've seen videos of that and it's very cool. Congratulations on accomplishing that!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
We went all over the country with our two cats. They love looking out the windows at the campground. Spend hours. They ride in the TV, one the entire time in my wife's lap under a little blanket with her nose sticking out to get air and the other sits on the console. Would not be a fun trip without the "girls". One is so smart and watches everything we do and has learned to open the door. Have to be sure it is always locked. One caution as it has happened to us on more than one occasion, if you make a short pit stop and get out of the TV and leave them in it, they might be looking for you and step on the door locks. The first time they did that, i had left the key in the TV but luckily had onstar so was able to have it unlocked. Towing with a Ford now, no onstar but have a combination lock on the outside. They are so funny, find their little places that are theirs just like at home. They can be really fun.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:02 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Since my previous post on 6-24-15 our 16 year old cat left us. Never a complaint from her going to 39 States, including Canada and Alaska. She logged close to 100,000 miles with us. She was approximately 6 years old when introduced to traveling.

Since her passing we adopted 4 month old male and female siblings. What a blast they are and both have logged over 3000 traveling. When traveling in the TV Brother mostly sleeps in his carrier with the door open. Sister sleeps in my wife's lap or mine depending on whose driving.

At night they sleep on the bed and will play several times during the night. They are a blast.

We still have 12 year old Wanda. She is down to a 3rd of her weight. She has lived past what she was expected to live. We know the end may not be to far own the road but she still gets around ok. She still travels with us.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:04 AM   #42
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Cats.
Yikes!
Traveling with cats?
Double yikes.
I just hope you will make a clear, honest disclosure statement if/when you decide to sell your AS.