Old 08-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Traveling with the pup

We just got back from a 3 day adventure in Maine. The trouble with traveling is do you take the pup or leave her at a kennel/dogsitter. Not every campground, park, inn, etc enjoys our dog as much as we do. Finding a web site to tell us the information we need to know has been difficult. However my husband was watching some show and found www.tripswithpets.com. Woohoo! It is very thorough, has listings by state. Also has a listing for dog parks, pet sitters and grooming across the country, and a gift shop.

We ended up staying at an inn built in the 1820's, they were labrador breeders, had a huge field for the Cady to frolic in, and they informed us of the best swimming holes and hikes with the dog.

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
This is great

We never go anywhere without the Baron. Looks like now we can find nicer and more accommodating places. Thanks for the resource!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
We just got back from a 3 day adventure in Maine. The trouble with traveling is do you take the pup or leave her at a kennel/dogsitter. Not every campground, park, inn, etc enjoys our dog as much as we do. Finding a web site to tell us the information we need to know has been difficult. However my husband was watching some show and found www.tripswithpets.com. Woohoo! It is very thorough, has listings by state. Also has a listing for dog parks, pet sitters and grooming across the country, and a gift shop.

We ended up staying at an inn built in the 1820's, they were labrador breeders, had a huge field for the Cady to frolic in, and they informed us of the best swimming holes and hikes with the dog.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Yes, thanks for this resource. We too take our lab, golden and cat on our Airstream travels and this is another tool we can utilize.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
If the campgroung will not accept pets then we will not accept the campground.
We got into camping because of our dogs and we keep camping so we can take our German Shepard ,Triton with us. We have found that some places are to good for big dogs but little dogs are OK. We have also found that Canada is much more dog friendly than the good old USA. We have been cost to cost and our dog have been with us every mile of the way.

Thanks for the link we will use it to make sure our fuzzy child is welcome.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Itowair...I agree with you completely.One of the main reasons we got into trailering was to be ablt to teka eour dogs with us and if a campground doesn't take dogs,well then,I'm also happy to take my money elsewhere.

One thing I am continually stumped about are the campgrounds that have a ban on dogs over 20 lbs or so.Bans on vicious breeds,I can understand.

We have 2 dogs...one Weimaraner(big),one Malti-Poo(small..as in 6 lbs!).The little one is admittedly a little on the yappy side and we have to moniter her carefully so as not to disturb others.In all campgrounds I have been in,I have found that generaly speaking,it is the SMALL dogs who are yappy or causing trouble..NOT the bigger dogs.I am generalzing here...but I just don't get the big dog ban many campgrounds employ.

Big or small,I love 'em all!

Charlotte
Old 08-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Check it out!

I've even ruled out rallies because I can't bear to sit someplace all weekend with Osita on a leash. But look what I found:

http://www.4pawskingdom.com/

I'll be staying there later this month on my way to pick up a Globetrotter from Chikagurl so will report back.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I too have no idea about the small dog limitations. We looked at a website where they only took dogs under 20 lbs. My thoughts are that smaller dogs are noiser and more aggressive than most dogs because of their size. They are trying to make sure you notice them. The larger dogs usually follow their owners around or fall asleep by the door of the trailer. But bottom line, well trained animals are rarely a nuisance. Its nice to know that there are innkeepers and campground owners out there who love animals as much as we do.

Kathleen

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote