Old 09-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Traveling with dogs and an Airstream.

I'm interesting in learning about handling dogs on the road. My background comes from traveling cross country temp camping.

When we were traveling, we travelled with three kids and two dogs in a Westfalia Eurovan. We'd drive around 250 miles, stop for gas and lunch, and therein lies the problem. We couldn't really leave our dogs in the car in heat.

So our solution wasn't a lot of fun. I'd get lunch to go, while the wife and kids stayed with the dogs. Then I'd come back to the car to be with the dogs, while my wife and kids would go have lunch, while I ate lunch in the car with the dogs.

I realize that having an Airstream means you can stop at a rest stop and have lunch in the AS. But sometimes (especially when traveling through Louisiana, I have a soft spot for the food there) you want to eat in a restaurant.

What do you guys do if you want to stop at a restaurant while between campgrounds?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
when you do

your life just goes to the dogs……stay in a cool climate…forget cajun food….

eat with the dogs

we travel with three english cockers and they rule

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My dog travels with me a fair bit, sometimes with the trailer sometimes not. We search our restaurants with outdoors seating. So far we have never been turned down. YMMV. I will leave the dog in the vehicle long enough to duck in and ask if it is okay. Then get him out of the car/truck and go sit on the patio.

Best one so far was the Panera Bread in Roanoke, VA. Went through the drive through ordered my lunch, then drove around and parked. Carried the food over to the patio eating area. One of the young ladies inside saw me with the pup and brought him out a bowl of water. THAT is customer service!

If we hit an area where dogs can't sit on the patio, or there are no patios we get food to go and eat together.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
If it's cool we leave the dogs in the car with the windows half down and go in and eat. If it's hot, we eat in the trailer.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
astreameddie

2015 30' Flying Cloud
la conner , Washington
We leave all windows 2/3 open if on the road and we park with them (2 weimerainers) in sight of the window we will sit near or sit outside. If we are hooked up we leave the AC on and let them stay put. They are great nappers.
Best place ever stopped at was Twisp Brewery in Twisp Washington
The love having the dogs on the patio. Waitress said "well behaved or not"! Ours are very well trained
Old 09-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Eating outdoors with your pups at your feet sounds ideal. I have to admit my dogs have not had a lot of practice at that, since we do not have a lot of outdoor eating around here to practice at.

We usually just eat in the trailer with the dogs. When we know we will be doing a lot of non-dog activities on a trip, we leave them home with friends.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Eating outdoors with your pups at your feet sounds ideal. I have to admit my dogs have not had a lot of practice at that, since we do not have a lot of outdoor eating around here to practice at.

We usually just eat in the trailer with the dogs. When we know we will be doing a lot of non-dog activities on a trip, we leave them home with friends.
He lays on my feet at home under the table... why not while traveling?

My dog fits the basic description of well behaved. He is not aggressive (at least we have never seen it) and loves to meet people. His only really bad habit is wanting to jump up, but it is minimal and is controlled.

When we are camped out he goes on a 30' lead (shorter if required). We take plenty of walks around the campgrounds. I have a friend that camps that uses one of the wireless fence systems with good results for his Welsh Terrier.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
We have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks to think of. They are very well behaved. But it does take some thought. Since my visit to the AS dealer I've been comparing how we live with our dogs now vs how we would have to adapt on the road.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When it's too warm to leave the pups in the car we many times leave them in the airstream with both roof vents open. We set one fan to draw air in and the other to exhaust.

Of course this is only when the airstream won't get too hot, but we find many times that is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
I leave my dog in the truck with the motor running and A/C on. I do this both in the summer when it's hot and in the winter when it's cold (of course the heat is, not the AC). The most I've let it run is 40 minutes. I've never once had an issue.

2017 Classic
Triple Flexible Solar Panels
2000w Inverter
6 Lifeline Group 27 batteries
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax (on order, rented F150 for the month)
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I do one of the two methods already mentioned, either leave in the truck with A/C on, I can remote start the truck, OR in the Airstream with the vent system. As an aside we also use the vent system if we leave her in the AS while we go out to do something and in the summer with the A/C on in the AS. That way if the electricity in the campground goes off or something at least there is fresh air moving through the AS.

Safe Travels

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Johns Island , South Carolina
We either get our food to go and eat in Clementine with the dogs or, if it's not too hot, we put them in Clementine with the vent open and fan on. Basically we make the decision based on if we ourselves would be comfortable in the camper or not
Follow our travels at :http://tincantails.wordpress.com
airstrmdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
Our 2012 F150 has the combination push-button pad on the driver's door by the door handle. If it's hot outside, we'll leave our Golden Retriever inside the truck with the windows up, the engine running, and the AC on. I lock the doors with the key pad, and unlock them using the key pad when we return. We try to be quick when we're in these situations just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We full timed with 3 dogs for a year and a half (see namesake). On cool days, open windows with both ceiling vents running was just fine. On hot days, look for shady places to park. Some malls and shopping centers have trees to park by. They're not always tall enough to park under, but putting the side of the AS in the shade helps a lot. You can also park beside tall buildings for shade. We followed the weather to keep the AS from getting too hot(south in winter, north in summer). We would fire up the generator and AC when it was required. Didn't want to come back to a hot dog disaster or Officer Friendly. It used less gas then the big 454 chevy.

Make sure their water bowls are full when you leave.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote