Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If the trailer is in tow we will leave Attica inside with the windows open, the vents open and the Fantastic Fan on.

If the trailer is not in tow we have her set up in her own "kennel" across the folded down back seat - she has her bed, water, toys and lots of room (my wife complains the dog is treated better than her). We work hard to try and find a place to park in the shade and will then leave her in the car with windows partially down, sun roof partially open and AC on. We really don't worry about her getting into the front seat area of the truck - she never leaves her own area.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790_edited-1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	231323  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Unfortunately, my Sophie (Shih Tzu), doesn't like the Airstream. She is kinda neurotic. When we first got the AS the smoke detector went off when we were cooking. She hates smoke detectors. We removed the battery. Now she doesn't like the little beeps the Sony radio puts out so I have to change the settings to turn the beeps off. She doesn't like thunder and the sound of rain hitting the roof. Most of the time she is always at the door wanting to get out even when nothing is happening. When we first start a trip it takes her a couple of days to get her appetite back Luckily she sleeps well enough on the AS bed and travels well in the truck. She has never had an accident inside the AS. She is almost 12 years old and is set in her ways but we still love her.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
like JustSomeGuy I too have remote start and used to leave our dogs inside with engine running or I'd start it remotely if I were going to be longer than a couple of minutes. UNTIL, I did so and was actually standing at the tailgate of our Diesel truck when the engine started to rev to incredibly high RPMs and then shut down with all four turn signals blinking. The puppy we have jumped down onto the drivers side and onto the accelerator and went to sleep. Now I rope her in the back seat if I leave her even for a second. I also put a sign in the drivers side door, "Truck is running - A/C is on and I am watching"
I heard of that happening to someone else. Luckily my dog will never the seat he's sitting on. I also leave his leash on, but only because I know he will stay put. I've heard it suggested not to leave a leash on a dog though, because it could get tangled and strangle the dog. An alternative would be to put a box on the floor in front of the driver's seat to discourage the dog from moving to that area and leaning against the accelerator.

Good idea with the sign on the driver's door. I thought of doing something like that too, though I thought a sign might attract more attention. Maybe make one taped to cardboard and leave it on the dash? In vehicles with a back seat and tinted windows, it works well, because if the dog settles down and is quiet, and the tint is dark enough, it's possible nobody will realize there's a dog inside. Parking further away from everyone else is also a good idea in case the dog barks as people walk by. The fewer people walking by, the better.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:02 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Great question!
SoverignGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

'Fado' travels in a soft crate in the back of the Burb, never loose. (crate trained from the start)
If he needs to be left in the vehicle,we always look for shade, all windows open at least 4",(we have also propped the rear lift gate a foot in extreme conditions).
Burb locked with alarm on.

I prefer the soft crate because it provides some extra shade and restricts a clear view for any folks wondering...'what kind of dog is that?'

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04697.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	271068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09203.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	271069  

Old 09-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #26
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My past two dogs probably had a combined 100k miles on them. Anything above 70 degrees, I left the engine running with the AC on. I often left them for up to an hour at a time.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our mob of pups (up to 5) travel in crates secured in the back seat of the Tacoma. If a meal stop is cool enough, they get walked, then loaded into the other crates in the AS with windows open and fans sucking out the heat.

If it's too warm, like above about 85, they and a responsible human stay in the idling truck whilst I run for takeout food. I won't risk killing a dog in the heat. The fun starts while we eat, and the doggies want to share...😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I never want to leave my dog, especially on the road.

But, if I had a hankering for a favourite restaurant or food, I'd phone ahead and get it take-out.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
If your dreams of future travel do include southern climes, you definitely want to come from late fall to very early spring. When a lot of Northerners are hibernating indoors, we're indulging in outdoor living, including eating outside at restaurants who offer it. A good rule of thumb when traveling with pets is to either ask when making a reservation or calling ahead, what the pet policy is. That especially applies to private RV parks in case their policy has changed. If you want to eat at a fancier establishment when stopped somewhere, make a reservation with a set time so you're not waiting an hour or more just to be seated. Doing something casual like BBQ in Texas or Cajun in Louisiana? Many establishments have mostly outdoor seating consisting of picnic tables. Very rare these days not to find at least a Facebook page for most businesses. Just call ahead and make sure your dogs are welcome to join you if a business doesn't specify. Some folks even look into pet day care if they're playing tourist and can't include the four-legged family members on some activities.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we pay attention to the temperature and if in doubt check on Lucky. But there is so much more air to circulate inside the AS than there is in a car that we will just put her in the TT and go do lunch. We have not found temperatures to be excessive when we check on her or finish lunch. Now it if is 115 out that might be another story. But put a thermometer (we have a small weather station that will give inside and outside info) inside your TT and check it to see for yourself.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Traveling with dogs and an Airstream.

For us, it's outside air temperature well under 80F, open at least one window, both fantastic fans on full exhaust speed. Verify it stays cool enough. Our dogs are used to fairly high temperatures and low humidity, given enough water available.

If in any slight doubt, dogs and a responsible adult stay in the TV with the A/C and engine running whilst someone else runs inside the restaurant to get takeout food. Then the challenge is NOT sharing dinner with a bunch of eager pups. That evolution can be 'interesting'

Old 10-16-2016, 05:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Our dogs are good in the Airstream and it stays very cool in the shade but I usually don't press my luck with all the nuts out there these days.. I would never leave them in the tow vehicle regardless of weather because in the current "climate" it is acceptable for people to break windows and damage a vehicle to "rescue" an animal left in a vehicle, even with the AC running and owner nearby. I had a person suggest they could do this while I was putting gas in the vehicle with the dog inside. (I reassured them that this would be a very poor decision). I've seen video clips including the license plate number on the local news where the reporter tracks down the owner for a very public "shaming". It's only going to get worse, not worth it.

They can stay in the AS locked and plugged in at a campground, if we ever go to eat.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Corona , California
It's hard for anyone 'helping' to get past the person prominently sitting in the driver's seat.

Aside from the fact that the dogs bark so fiercely most folks stand clear.