Old 09-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
If your dreams of future travel do include southern climes, you definitely want to come from late fall to very early spring. When a lot of Northerners are hibernating indoors, we're indulging in outdoor living, including eating outside at restaurants who offer it. A good rule of thumb when traveling with pets is to either ask when making a reservation or calling ahead, what the pet policy is. That especially applies to private RV parks in case their policy has changed. If you want to eat at a fancier establishment when stopped somewhere, make a reservation with a set time so you're not waiting an hour or more just to be seated. Doing something casual like BBQ in Texas or Cajun in Louisiana? Many establishments have mostly outdoor seating consisting of picnic tables. Very rare these days not to find at least a Facebook page for most businesses. Just call ahead and make sure your dogs are welcome to join you if a business doesn't specify. Some folks even look into pet day care if they're playing tourist and can't include the four-legged family members on some activities.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we pay attention to the temperature and if in doubt check on Lucky. But there is so much more air to circulate inside the AS than there is in a car that we will just put her in the TT and go do lunch. We have not found temperatures to be excessive when we check on her or finish lunch. Now it if is 115 out that might be another story. But put a thermometer (we have a small weather station that will give inside and outside info) inside your TT and check it to see for yourself.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Traveling with dogs and an Airstream.

For us, it's outside air temperature well under 80F, open at least one window, both fantastic fans on full exhaust speed. Verify it stays cool enough. Our dogs are used to fairly high temperatures and low humidity, given enough water available.

If in any slight doubt, dogs and a responsible adult stay in the TV with the A/C and engine running whilst someone else runs inside the restaurant to get takeout food. Then the challenge is NOT sharing dinner with a bunch of eager pups. That evolution can be 'interesting'

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Our dogs are good in the Airstream and it stays very cool in the shade but I usually don't press my luck with all the nuts out there these days.. I would never leave them in the tow vehicle regardless of weather because in the current "climate" it is acceptable for people to break windows and damage a vehicle to "rescue" an animal left in a vehicle, even with the AC running and owner nearby. I had a person suggest they could do this while I was putting gas in the vehicle with the dog inside. (I reassured them that this would be a very poor decision). I've seen video clips including the license plate number on the local news where the reporter tracks down the owner for a very public "shaming". It's only going to get worse, not worth it.

They can stay in the AS locked and plugged in at a campground, if we ever go to eat.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's hard for anyone 'helping' to get past the person prominently sitting in the driver's seat.

Aside from the fact that the dogs bark so fiercely most folks stand clear.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote