Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
If you have a generator, you could set up at a WalMart and leave it running to keep the AC on..

If you are near a city with PetsMart, you can use their 'pet hotel' for even brief (day) care.

Usually they are near large parking lots where you can park the AS... leave it 'hitched' up and hail a cab...

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
For those who leave their dogs in the truck with it running a word of caution, from experience. I did that while I was standing at the back of the truck talking to someone. She jumped down onto the accelerator and the truck revved to max RPM and shut down. At least that is what we suspect happened as the person I was talking to commented that the Ford Diesels have rev limiters and shut down. Anyway that is what occurred.

Safe Travels

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our doggies are either on a crate secured in the back seat, or trained to stay in the back seat when we are in the TV.

We NEVER leave a vehicle running without a responsible human inside to control the doggies. Safer to shut It down and take the keys out.

If we are traveling with the AS the dogs are kept in the AS in camp and at restaurant breaks. We open windows, run fans, and feed, walk and water them before we eat. If it is too hot for them to stay in the AS we do takeout. If they are safe in the AS, they all sleep in their crates so we don't get separation anxiety or marking contests started. It's just safer for the dogs.

Have done several thousands of miles with our pack of four, with no issues. They even understand the AS is home on the road and prefer being in it.. To them, it's just a big silver doghouse, I suspect.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Vancouver , British Columbia
My tow vehicle has a remote starter. In this case, a factory installed one that will run the vehicle for 15 minutes. I don't know if this can be adjusted, but often that is enough time. My previous vehicle had an aftermarket remote starter that could run for up to 45 minutes, but I had it set to 15 minutes. What I do when I have to go someplace where I cannot take the dog is leave him in the tow vehicle, set the AC to maximum (or turn on a bit of heat, depending on the time of year, and certain times of the year, neither is required). I make note of the time and try to get back before 15 minutes is up. My aftermarket remote (actually an alarm/remote starter) had a digital screen on the remote with a countdown timer so I could see how much time was left. I tried to always be back in less than 15 minutes, but occasionally I couldn't. The remote control has a good range, so I would just restart the engine with the remote. I think it will work up to three times, then it won't restart.

The only problem is that you come across some overly zealous people who are against idling your engine and/or panic when they see a pet left in a vehicle, even if the engine is running. One time I left the dog inside the vehicle (I wasn't towing that time). Parked in a parking spot in a small strip mall with about 20 parking spaces and about 4 or 5 cars there. I went into an auto parts store. There was also a bicycle shop and I think a restaurant or deli. The outside temperature was about 22 Celsius (72 Fahrenheit). Having the AC on full was probably more than needed, but I did so just to be safe.

Within about two minutes of me going into the auto parts store, the manager walked up to me and asked if I had left a dog in my van. It seems some self-righteous individual came into to the store to report me and thought that I was being a cruel, irresponsible pet owner leaving a dog in a van with the windows up on a hot day and was calling the police or animal rescue - failing to notice that the engine was on the AC was running at full capacity on a day that wasn't even too warm, within less than two minutes of parking. My dog has separation anxiety and tends to cry and bark for 30 to 60 seconds after I leave him alone, be it at home, or in a motor vehicle, so the passerby probably heard that and jumped to conclusions that the dog had been locked in the van for ages and was in distress. I didn't want to take a chance on someone smashing a window to "rescue" my "poor, neglected and dehydrated" dog, so I decided to abandon my purchase at the auto parts store and go back to the van and leave. I did not see anyone around or looking at me, but you never know how some people will interpret things.

I've left the dog in several vehicles with remote starters over the years. He's my best friend and I would never do anything to harm him or jeopardize his health. I feel that using a remote starter with AC or heat on, for a quick 5 or 10 minute trip into a store or fast food restaurant is fine. I try to park far away from other people to avoid the looky-loos. Never had any other problems with this method, though I don't think it would work if you want to go into a nice, family restaurant where you order from a menu, wait for the food to be prepared and spend an hour in there. Unless the outside temp is cool, with no heat or AC required, maybe between 5 and 10 Celsius (40 to 50 Fahrenheit).
Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
like JustSomeGuy I too have remote start and used to leave our dogs inside with engine running or I'd start it remotely if I were going to be longer than a couple of minutes. UNTIL, I did so and was actually standing at the tailgate of our Diesel truck when the engine started to rev to incredibly high RPMs and then shut down with all four turn signals blinking. The puppy we have jumped down onto the drivers side and onto the accelerator and went to sleep. Now I rope her in the back seat if I leave her even for a second. I also put a sign in the drivers side door, "Truck is running - A/C is on and I am watching"

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
We built our Cruiser around the dogs. We installed fantastic fans with rain sensors so they could be left on. Also installed the for the dogs, to keep them cooler and for the white noise when we gone. Mostly though they do everything with us! Yes sometimes they are a pain in bottom side but they are part the family!!!

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If the trailer is in tow we will leave Attica inside with the windows open, the vents open and the Fantastic Fan on.

If the trailer is not in tow we have her set up in her own "kennel" across the folded down back seat - she has her bed, water, toys and lots of room (my wife complains the dog is treated better than her). We work hard to try and find a place to park in the shade and will then leave her in the car with windows partially down, sun roof partially open and AC on. We really don't worry about her getting into the front seat area of the truck - she never leaves her own area.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790_edited-1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	231323  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Unfortunately, my Sophie (Shih Tzu), doesn't like the Airstream. She is kinda neurotic. When we first got the AS the smoke detector went off when we were cooking. She hates smoke detectors. We removed the battery. Now she doesn't like the little beeps the Sony radio puts out so I have to change the settings to turn the beeps off. She doesn't like thunder and the sound of rain hitting the roof. Most of the time she is always at the door wanting to get out even when nothing is happening. When we first start a trip it takes her a couple of days to get her appetite back Luckily she sleeps well enough on the AS bed and travels well in the truck. She has never had an accident inside the AS. She is almost 12 years old and is set in her ways but we still love her.

Kelvin
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
like JustSomeGuy I too have remote start and used to leave our dogs inside with engine running or I'd start it remotely if I were going to be longer than a couple of minutes. UNTIL, I did so and was actually standing at the tailgate of our Diesel truck when the engine started to rev to incredibly high RPMs and then shut down with all four turn signals blinking. The puppy we have jumped down onto the drivers side and onto the accelerator and went to sleep. Now I rope her in the back seat if I leave her even for a second. I also put a sign in the drivers side door, "Truck is running - A/C is on and I am watching"
I heard of that happening to someone else. Luckily my dog will never the seat he's sitting on. I also leave his leash on, but only because I know he will stay put. I've heard it suggested not to leave a leash on a dog though, because it could get tangled and strangle the dog. An alternative would be to put a box on the floor in front of the driver's seat to discourage the dog from moving to that area and leaning against the accelerator.

Good idea with the sign on the driver's door. I thought of doing something like that too, though I thought a sign might attract more attention. Maybe make one taped to cardboard and leave it on the dash? In vehicles with a back seat and tinted windows, it works well, because if the dog settles down and is quiet, and the tint is dark enough, it's possible nobody will realize there's a dog inside. Parking further away from everyone else is also a good idea in case the dog barks as people walk by. The fewer people walking by, the better.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Great question!
Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

'Fado' travels in a soft crate in the back of the Burb, never loose. (crate trained from the start)
If he needs to be left in the vehicle,we always look for shade, all windows open at least 4",(we have also propped the rear lift gate a foot in extreme conditions).
Burb locked with alarm on.

I prefer the soft crate because it provides some extra shade and restricts a clear view for any folks wondering...'what kind of dog is that?'

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04697.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	271068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09203.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	271069  

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #26
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My past two dogs probably had a combined 100k miles on them. Anything above 70 degrees, I left the engine running with the AC on. I often left them for up to an hour at a time.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our mob of pups (up to 5) travel in crates secured in the back seat of the Tacoma. If a meal stop is cool enough, they get walked, then loaded into the other crates in the AS with windows open and fans sucking out the heat.

If it's too warm, like above about 85, they and a responsible human stay in the idling truck whilst I run for takeout food. I won't risk killing a dog in the heat. The fun starts while we eat, and the doggies want to share...😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I never want to leave my dog, especially on the road.

But, if I had a hankering for a favourite restaurant or food, I'd phone ahead and get it take-out.