Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Since my previous post on 6-24-15 our 16 year old cat left us. Never a complaint from her going to 39 States, including Canada and Alaska. She logged close to 100,000 miles with us. She was approximately 6 years old when introduced to traveling.

Since her passing we adopted 4 month old male and female siblings. What a blast they are and both have logged over 3000 traveling. When traveling in the TV Brother mostly sleeps in his carrier with the door open. Sister sleeps in my wife's lap or mine depending on whose driving.

At night they sleep on the bed and will play several times during the night. They are a blast.

We still have 12 year old Wanda. She is down to a 3rd of her weight. She has lived past what she was expected to live. We know the end may not be to far own the road but she still gets around ok. She still travels with us.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:04 AM   #42
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Cats.
Yikes!
Traveling with cats?
Double yikes.
I just hope you will make a clear, honest disclosure statement if/when you decide to sell your AS.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Cats.
Yikes!
Traveling with cats?
Double yikes.
I just hope you will make a clear, honest disclosure statement if/when you decide to sell your AS.
That goes double for people with dogs. Nasty annoying barking creatures.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
What about those of us traveling with cats & dogs? 😊

Ridiculous to assume cats make the trailer nasty or uninhabitable. My house & trailer are clean regardless of of whether I have cats. I had a cat for 19 years that told me when he needed to go outside to take care of business. He was cleaner than most teen agers.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #45
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
Our cats are fine as long as they're in the tow vehicle with us (they sleep in two little beds on the front seat, between driver and passenger). OCCASIONALLY, we will leave them in the trailer for short periods when we're moving the rig (like from one space to another within a park, or to dump and then return home again) -- and it freaks them the heck out. (We usually find them hiding in the litter box area until we get settled back down again!)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
We just acquired a 7 year old cat that we are going to take with us in the coach.Traveling in a vehicle he is okay with that, I am just concerned when we are in a campground or boon docking. Cats are great escape artists he is an Ocicat and we would hate to loose him. Any advice as far as screens and screen door latches to keep him safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jackson.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	259734  
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #47
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a year-old Pixie-Bob female that looks just like your cat. We just returned from a trip with her and our Munchkin.

I made an over-the-center latch for the slide on the screen door to prevent a cat from sliding it open. That happened to me once in Cheyenne when our Munchkin was on the table, pushed open the slide, and jumped out. I chased him down barefoot in my undershorts.

We just take care entering and exiting the trailer. She is interested in the outdoors, but is timid enough to hesitate to try to escape. The trailer is a refuge for all of our cats.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Okay, now that we've made the decision to switch to an Airstream, how do we go about cat-proofing it? We're talking about a late 90's/early 2000's 34' coach. I understand that there are things under/behind the couch that probably shouldn't be visited by curious cats, but what other problems should we be aware of?

Also, where do you keep the litter box? Our bath is called a walk-through bath, meaning that pocket doors need to be closed to make the space private, but otherwise it is one large walk-through space. The litter box is next to the shower, where it just fits.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #49
Contributing Member

We have the walk through bath, also, and our litter box is in front of the shower. It isn't in the way. This is just about the only floor plan that easily accommodates a litter box. Our Airstream is a 2005 and the litter box has traveled with us since we bought it new.

Here is our Pixie-bob at 45 weeks old. See how much she resembles your cat. She is now 13 months old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Posing pretty.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	259819  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Yes she dose look a lot like our Ocicat. We just got him he is from a rescue he is 7 years.
We have the side shower in our coach so I think the litter box will fit in the tub part just fine. That way it is not under foot and when the shower is in use it can be put in the bathroom. Do you have your cat out side on a leash when you are around the trailer
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #51
Contributing Member

Last December, I lost a 12-year old cat to cancer that was a real champ on a leash. She attended every happy hour with us, loved people, and stood up to every dog, even big ones. She traveled all over the country with us.

I wanted a cat with similar traits, so I bought the Pixie-bob as a 6-week old kitten. She is learning to walk on a leash and we strolled around my house just an hour ago. I had her on a leash at the pet show at the Region 9 rally two weeks ago and she did fine, even with a lot of people and dogs. She won a blue ribbon, but she was the only cat and that was no real feat. Pixie-bobs are supposed to have some west coast bobcat in their early lineage. She certainly has the bobcat looks and the bob tail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exploring.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	259840  
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Since my previous post on 6-24-15 our 16 year old cat left us. Never a complaint from her going to 39 States, including Canada and Alaska. She logged close to 100,000 miles with us. She was approximately 6 years old when introduced to traveling.

Since her passing we adopted 4 month old male and female siblings. What a blast they are and both have logged over 3000 traveling. When traveling in the TV Brother mostly sleeps in his carrier with the door open. Sister sleeps in my wife's lap or mine depending on whose driving.

At night they sleep on the bed and will play several times during the night. They are a blast.

We still have 12 year old Wanda. She is down to a 3rd of her weight. She has lived past what she was expected to live. We know the end may not be to far own the road but she still gets around ok. She still travels with us.
Prayers for Gaylejoe and especially Wanda. Sure hope she is doing well.

Couldn't ever see us traveling without Natasha.
Best regards
Old 02-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
This is a nice thread. Thanks, Paula, for the Ice Cream idea. Now, do any of you use a litter box inside the AS for during the night?
We have a 25' Intl. Serenity RB Twin and I'm looking into the possibility of cutting a pet door in the center nightstand to create a pass-through into the rear storage bay and putting the cats' litter box there. Has anyone done that? I saw something similar done on a Class A MH and it looked like the perfect thing.
KathrynB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #54
Contributing Member

Years ago, I was unexpectedly traveling with a 10-week kitten. I stopped at wally Mart and bought a pack of 2 aluminum roaster pans and a roll of duct tape. I taped the pans together top to top and cut out the bottom of the top pan, and folded the edges back. That kept her from kicking litter out. I used that box until she grew quite large.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Be sure to get him microchipped. Keeping a harness on him and getting him used to a leash might help.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
How did you get your cats to use a top entry litter box? I got one for my two cats, but they're baffled as to how to get in.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #57
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynB View Post
We have a 25' Intl. Serenity RB Twin and I'm looking into the possibility of cutting a pet door in the center nightstand to create a pass-through into the rear storage bay and putting the cats' litter box there. Has anyone done that? I saw something similar done on a Class A MH and it looked like the perfect thing.
I put a cat door in one of the sliding doors in my Classic 25 because our one cat, whichever side she was on, it was the wrong side according to her and she complained loudly. Our short tailed cats liked the pet door, but our long-tailed munchkin didn't like it catching his tail every time.

I had to look all over to find a cat door thin enough to slide into the pockets.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Cat-proofing new Airstream

We'll be full timing with 3 older cats and curious what others have done to discourage marking. In July we're picking up a 2017 Flying Cloud 25' so they'll be helping us break it in.

Does anyone have experience with sprays or other solutions to keep them from marking and making the Airstream "their own"?

We've found items like this online so maybe someone in the Forums has used this or something like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-...ords=cat+spray

Thanks!
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Travel,

Are you sure these are traveling cats ?
There was never any 'marking' with Natasha. She had her cardboard 'scratcher' in the floor, a few play mice, her bag of catnip and her grey 'rat' from petsmart. She loved that 'rat' . It rode in the truck with her.

No Marking.
Our non-traveling cat likes the 'Feliway' for trips to the vet, but our nieces calm her the most on those short trips.
Yeah, you have to make sure the cat likes to travel. I don't know about forcing the issue, if they don't want to.
Best regards
Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #60
Contributing Member

None of our current 3 cats "like" to travel, but they all seem to really enjoy the Airstream. The pecking order seems to change away from home and all three get along famously.

Now that the Classic 28 is gone and I have an Interstate, we will leave two cats at home and travel with just my Pixie-Bob. Too tight quarters for more than one cat.
WBCCI #9632