Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We traveled to Nova Scotia last summer and took our Lab mix with us. We had health info and rabies certificate. Canadian border agents asked for rabies only and then gave her a dog treat, after asking first. What I find very interesting is our dog died while we were in Canada (long sad story with sudden illness and death within three hours, nothing to do with Canada); when we crossed back over into the states the US border agent asked about our dog, it was in the computer - we told her the story and through tears she waved us on. I would check about certain breeds into Canada, Ontario for instance has outlawed Pit Bulls - both ownership and transportation.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
I went to Canada's website: Bringing Your Pet to Canada - Travel.gc.ca and when you click on Dog, it brings you to the food inspection site and talks about importing dogs-- you punch in country of origin, age of animal, reason for bringing, and if accompanied by the owner, and submit--- it says you have to have detailed rabies vaccination info-- there is no mention of health certificate. Has anyone actually been ASKED for a health certificate?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
I went to Canada's website: Bringing Your Pet to Canada - Travel.gc.ca and when you click on Dog, it brings you to the food inspection site and talks about importing dogs-- you punch in country of origin, age of animal, reason for bringing, and if accompanied by the owner, and submit--- it says you have to have detailed rabies vaccination info-- there is no mention of health certificate. Has anyone actually been ASKED for a health certificate?
Nope, just rabies.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
T minus a few days and counting. I thought everything was set up with the health certificate until I discovered this week that they are only good for 10 days. It is my understanding that you need it to get back into the US. The problem for us is we are leaving here on 7/9 and not coming back into the US until 8/4. Have any of you traveled in Canada longer than 10 days and, if so, what did you do about the health certificate? Thank you!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Per CDC site CDC - Bringing an Animal into U.S.: Dogs - Animal Importation no health certificate is required- only proof of rabies. If dog appears sick, then you have to have the dog checked out by a vet at your expense before bringing to US. Please let me know how you fare, as we hope to be doing the same trip later this summer.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
T minus a few days and counting. I thought everything was set up with the health certificate until I discovered this week that they are only good for 10 days. It is my understanding that you need it to get back into the US. The problem for us is we are leaving here on 7/9 and not coming back into the US until 8/4. Have any of you traveled in Canada longer than 10 days and, if so, what did you do about the health certificate? Thank you!
Don't worry about it. Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
That is what I saw yesterday but since it is different than I found before I am nervous. I think I will get a health certificate before we leave and even though it will have expired I would have it to show something if they ask. It looks like going to Canada is easy!

My earlier searches mentioned food requirements but I didn't see anything about that yesterday either. What I had seen is that it has to be in its original container and possibly unopened. I think I am going to prepare for that one as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Dotting our i's and crossing our t's, we are headed to Canada on Saturday! I have rabies certificates and health certificates in hand. We probably have too much dog food but we will see how it goes and if they ask. The health certificates would have technically expired by the time we get there but our vet says that as long as we can show we have been traveling since we got them we should be okay.....if they ask. Thanks to all of you for your advice. I tried to follow as much of it as I could and checked all of the websites you so graciously shared. I will report back to the group once we get in.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
UPDATE: We made it! Turns out we didn't have the rabies certificate I thought we did but the health certificate had everything on it they needed. We passed through with a nice conversation with the border agent and everything. I noticed he did a double-take at our passports and got a little nervous. He explained by saying he was watching CFL last night and a player was on that is from Waxahachie. They had a discussion about the proper pronunciation.....and the next day there we were. The hubs doesn't think the hockey license plate hurt either.

The campground we are at in Cochrane is fantastic. Very pet friendly. They have a beautiful greenspace and off leash walk/bike path along the river. Of course, it is a bit of torture for the labs who are not allowed to swim.