Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Traveling to Canada with Dogs

So here's a question for some of you full-timers, pseudo-full-timers, or all of those in between: we're getting ready to head out on a 3 to 4 month journey, taking us up to Montana, across to the Pacific Northwest, down through California then over to the four corners area before winter. While up in the Seattle area, we're thinking about heading up to Canada as I have never been. We've updated our passports and such, so I'm not concerned about that, but I've been reading about this "International certificate of health examination for small animals" document that we should get from our vet. The thing about it is that is says the following: "The International Health Certificate should be issued by your veterinarian as near to the date of travel as possible but not more than 21 days before travel."........how do you do this if we're going to be on the road for months at a time? We won't be near our vet less than a month from possibly crossing the border...any thoughts?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Shawn when I travelled across the border with my dog I always carried a copy of the rabies vaccination form but have never been asked of it by either US or CND customs. US customs once did have an issue with the dog's food because it wasn't in its original packaging so they couldn't verify the ingredients. It was prescription food and could only be replaced at my vet. Because I was returning within 12 hrs they very nicely held it for me and I was able to pick it up on my return trip.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We travelled in Canada on our way to and from Alaska in 2009 and I too had read the web site where I found out about the International Certificate of Health Examination. After phone calls to various authorities I was somewhat convinced that I needed it. No one could answer my question about the "21 day" clause. So, at a bit of expense, I went to my vet and had all the appropriate paperwork done. We had several border crossings and it was not required. When I asked about it at that time I was told that all that was required was a valid rabies vacination certificate. Our experience was that even this was not ever asked for.

Hope this helps.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
We have been back and forth to Canada through borders at Buffalo and Sarnia with our dog in tow. All we have ever had was a valid rabies vaccination certificate and have never had a problem. Hopefully, your crossings will be as uneventful. Good luck!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Shawn when I travelled across the border with my dog I always carried a copy of the rabies vaccination form but have never been asked of it by either US or CND customs. US customs once did have an issue with the dog's food because it wasn't in its original packaging so they couldn't verify the ingredients. It was prescription food and could only be replaced at my vet. Because I was returning within 12 hrs they very nicely held it for me and I was able to pick it up on my return trip.
Thanks Chris...we'd be in the same boat -- not about the 'script bit, but because our dog food is carried in a plastic container rather than the bag (you know we have a big dog, so storing a little bag of food isn't exactly going to happen with us).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Thanks everyone -- that's the funny thing about these "rules" and such -- they're printed and likely never enforced! Of course, our luck, we'd be asked for the bloody thing!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Thanks Chris...we'd be in the same boat -- not about the 'script bit, but because our dog food is carried in a plastic container rather than the bag (you know we have a big dog, so storing a little bag of food isn't exactly going to happen with us).
Shawn bring the original packaging for the dog's food and you should be O.K. I might have been an over zealous customs officer because he even questioned a Twinkie I had on the dash but his superior told him not to worry about it.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
When we cross the border I just hand the Customs Officer the rabbis certificate with our passports. By that time Hagar has his head pushed out the window. After the normal questions we are sent on our way. I think the US is more restrictive about food stuff, especially meat.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Several times I've declared dogs aboard on entering Canada -- never got a question about it. Be straight and in compliance about the amount of alcohol you bring. No guns. No bearspray. Canada is very welcoming and they want to see you come across & vacation there. I've never been disappointed!

Food when entering ... Canada
Taking Pets into Canada from the U.S.
Help! Crossing to Canada with Dogs
What is prohibited - going from US to Canada

You'll face a higher responsibility on reentering as a citizen to the US. An hour before us, friends breezed through Sault Ste. Marie into Michigan last September. Us? On a random sampling I'm thinking, we got the 3rd degree about a mix of fresh fruits/vegs -- nothing different from what our friends had. It sounded stern but it was still a well explained advisory about US rules. More specifically, they had us leave our dogs in the truck, unlock the trailer and we had to go into a building and leave everything to them. I'm sure we were under observation. Main advice here - stay cool. Or else they'd have really pulled us apart (still would have found nothing however).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Thanks everyone -- that's the funny thing about these "rules" and such -- they're printed and likely never enforced! Of course, our luck, we'd be asked for the bloody thing!

Hi, my story was a few decades ago, but we brought two dogs with us into Canada. I had read that I needed papers on my dogs, especially shot records for Rabies. We got the third degree when we entered back into our country via Montana. Best to be prepared so your dogs aren't impounded for a few weeks, shots given, and paid for by you.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Our story is pretty much the same.
We travel several times a year to Canada crossing at the I-5 truck crossing or Lynden, WA. We carry a current "proof of rabies" certificate for Bailey and buy our dog food once we are in Canada. We've heard various stories about the dog food issue (not being allowed to bring it across the border in either direction), so we just buy dog food when we buy our meat and fruit (also not allowed to bring across).
Happy traveling!
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Great information! We've traveled the world with our dog and the toughest countries to get into are Germany and UK. We lived in the middle east for a couple years with our dog - no worries... EXCEPT - NEVER LET THEM OFF THE LEAD!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
As long as we're off-topic.... Hawaii is rabies free and does not require rabies shots for dogs on the islands. One must plan in advance if they wish to avoid a costly quarantine upon arrival. See -- Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Updating -- we still haven't had to present veterinary certificates on any of our passages to and from Canada. Always have them with though.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What everybody else said. Carry the rabies certificate.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
The rabies vaccination certificate is probably a precaution to prevent the spread of rabies, and if there is no rabies outbreak they won't bother about it, however if there is a rabies outbreak where you are coming from they will get very interested in it.

As rabies in winter is practically unknown, I predict a smooth crossing
Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
May also need the rabies vaccination certificate in case of your dog biting someone, a pet or getting bitten.

Also some campgrounds in the US say you need it in their rules.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
When we went over in September we carried all the records from our vet for the last 2 years. At the border crossing (Couts, north of Great Falls) the border agent asked for our passports and for Rachel's (our dog companion) papers. We crossed with no problem. If you are concerned you could stop at a vet anywhere close to the border, show your records and provide contact information for your vet to get an "updated" record.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Several times I've declared dogs aboard on entering Canada -- never got a question about it. Be straight and in compliance about the amount of alcohol you bring. No guns. No bearspray. Canada is very welcoming and they want to see you come across & vacation there. I've never been disappointed!

Food when entering ... Canada
Taking Pets into Canada from the U.S.
Help! Crossing to Canada with Dogs
What is prohibited - going from US to Canada

You'll face a higher responsibility on reentering as a citizen to the US. An hour before us, friends breezed through Sault Ste. Marie into Michigan last September. Us? On a random sampling I'm thinking, we got the 3rd degree about a mix of fresh fruits/vegs -- nothing different from what our friends had. It sounded stern but it was still a well explained advisory about US rules. More specifically, they had us leave our dogs in the truck, unlock the trailer and we had to go into a building and leave everything to them. I'm sure we were under observation. Main advice here - stay cool. Or else they'd have really pulled us apart (still would have found nothing however).

Hi, after you posted this information and after my post, we went to Alaska; I was corrected by a few Border Guards. No guns, except for with a special permit for hunting guns. No excessive amounts of Money or Alcohol. No pepper spray, But it is OK to bring Bear Spray.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote